• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Landis considers return to Tour de France

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oops, sorry Robert Merivel. I was just poking fun at people who take things too seriously, no personal offense was meant... I guess I had thought my sense of irony would be obvious, but I'm always learning that this is not the case in text-based interactions.

Back to the original topic, I would like to see FLandis at the TdF again but the ASO probably would not let him ride despite his serving his suspension. What he should do is join an Italian or Spanish team that will be invited to the Giro or Vuelta.

A

Anonymous

last km said:
Indurain ??? ;)

Touche! However to compare Indurain to Hincape is well.....not logical, and the original point is that I believe that Hincape was "enhanced" that tour.

Yes, BroDeal, I agree that Landis' best bet to return to Europe would be to join a team going to the Giro or Vuelta, but that really begs the question of whether or not he would want to come back for anything but the Tour. The Lance era has ushered in a new fixation on the Tour (to the exclusion of other races), especially in the American media (not that they ever focused on other races before, just not as much on the tour), and I feel this has trickled down to a lot of American GC riders (Landis, Hamilton, Levi)... would Levi have raced the Giro or the Vuelta last year without the ASO exclusion? Probably not. Would Landis return to the European peloton if he couldn't race the Tour?

My thought is probably not.

If he did, would a Spanish or Italian team take him? A Spanish one probably would. Or there's always Rock Racing when they become full-blown Euro ProTour stars next year, assuming the economy turns around and people want crappy designer jeans a bunch more.

(ps. sorry for contributing to off-topic madness, it's just insane to me how seriously people take themselves on the internet and I can't resist jabbing at it sometimes)

skidmark said:
Yes, BroDeal, I agree that Landis' best bet to return to Europe would be to join a team going to the Giro or Vuelta, but that really begs the question of whether or not he would want to come back for anything but the Tour. The Lance era has ushered in a new fixation on the Tour (to the exclusion of other races), especially in the American media (not that they ever focused on other races before, just not as much on the tour), and I feel this has trickled down to a lot of American GC riders (Landis, Hamilton, Levi)... would Levi have raced the Giro or the Vuelta last year without the ASO exclusion? Probably not. Would Landis return to the European peloton if he couldn't race the Tour?

Beggers cannot be choosers. If FLandis has the chance to race the Vuelta or Giro then he should take it. Either of those races would be fine wins even if Versus does not care to show the race.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Beggers cannot be choosers. If FLandis has the chance to race the Vuelta or Giro then he should take it. Either of those races would be fine wins even if Versus does not care to show the race.
I doubt he can actually win a GT without being doped up to his eyeballs.

Oh yeah, I'd be happy to see anyone win the Vuelta. I think it's an exciting race, I don't give a hoot if it's shown on versus. I'm just saying that from what I know of Landis, he thinks that beggars CAN be choosers, and he wouldn't want to come back unless he had his shot at the TdF.