• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Leadville sold

9000ft said:
Given your take on it, I thought it already blew.

You don't know what my take is, doofas. Aside from the race director taking the race a little too seriously compared to other 100s, the 100 mile run was a nice race. Of course you don't have to put up with a self centered pro on a hugely expensive doping program showing up to showboat amongst the amateurs.

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:
You don't know what my take is, doofas. Aside from the race director taking the race a little too seriously compared to other 100s, the 100 mile run was a nice race. Of course you don't have to put up with a self centered pro on a hugely expensive doping program showing up to showboat amongst the amateurs.

LOL! Predictably cheery and positive Bro as ever. :) Doofus. :) I'll give you credit for using one that doesn't get used very often these days (although I still prefer drooling man crush chamois sniffer) I'll just say that if all I have to judge your take on the race is by what you've posted here, I'll make a guess that you think the race sucks and just about everybody who participates is a pathetic fanboy of one Mr. Armstrong.

I'll agree, though, that the trail 100 is a pretty cool race (although pros show up and beat up on the amateurs: the horror). Not anywhere near the circus that the bike 100 has been for quite a while. (before LA even). Of course a 100 mile trail running race is a lot more hard core than a 100 mile mtn bike race so at least in terms of participation, far fewer people have the ability or desire to do something as nutso as that running race. The bike race is about as easy as a 100 mile mtn bike race at altitude can be so plenty of mtn bikers - even those who are not pathetic fanboys - might think it's something they can do. You can't say the same thing about a 100 mile trail run.

As to what the sale means for all the races foot and wheels, hard to say. Could be positive, could be negative. Time will tell. All this stuff, especially the bike 100 has been Cloubers bread and butter for quite a while. I'd guess the bike race has been a very nice payday for him and everything is either barely breaks even or pays at best, dishwashers wages. Maybe like any businessman, after building his business into something successful, he decided it was time to cash out on move on. Can't blame a man for that.

9000ft said:
I'll agree, though, that the trail 100 is a pretty cool race (although pros show up and beat up on the amateurs: the horror). Not anywhere near the circus that the bike 100 has been for quite a while. (before LA even). Of course a 100 mile trail running race is a lot more hard core than a 100 mile mtn bike race so at least in terms of participation, far fewer people have the ability or desire to do something as nutso as that running race.

Those ultrarunning "pros" are in no way equivalent to cycling pros. You can make more money working at McDonald's than an ultrarunning pro. The most successful ones still have part time jobs. Dr. Ferrari would not give those guys the time of day

9000ft said:
As to what the sale means for all the races foot and wheels, hard to say. Could be positive, could be negative. Time will tell. All this stuff, especially the bike 100 has been Cloubers bread and butter for quite a while. I'd guess the bike race has been a very nice payday for him and everything is either barely breaks even or pays at best, dishwashers wages. Maybe like any businessman, after building his business into something successful, he decided it was time to cash out on move on. Can't blame a man for that.

I don't care if Chlouber made bank from the sale or if was time for him to move on--good for him--but I don't expect much from the new management. It will probably be like all buyouts. The new owners will be interested in recouping their money as quickly as possible. I could easily see them decide that since their are fewer people willing to run a 100 miles, the way forward is to open a relay division. Then instead of sharing the run with someone who is in the same sorry state you are in at 80 miles, you are next to some asshole on a corporate relay team who could not make it more than thirty miles on his own. It would be a totally different vibe. It would be like the joke that is the Canadian Death Race.

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Those ultrarunning "pros" are in no way equivalent to cycling pros. You can make more money working at McDonald's than an ultrarunning pro. The most successful ones still have part time jobs. Dr. Ferrari would not give those guys the time of day

I don't care if Chlouber made bank from the sale or if was time for him to move on--good for him--but I don't expect much from the new management. It will probably be like all buyouts. The new owners will be interested in recouping their money as quickly as possible. I could easily see them decide that since their are fewer people willing to run a 100 miles, the way forward is to open a relay division. Then instead of sharing the run with someone who is in the same sorry state you are in at 80 miles, you are next to some asshole on a corporate relay team who could not make it more than thirty miles on his own. It would be a totally different vibe. It would be like the joke that is the Canadian Death Race.

I have a few friends and an ex GF who are or have been into the ultra running scene (not me, I absolutely suck at running). One friend is a sponsored "pre" I think she at least gets her traveling expenses and entry fees covered plus whatever her winnings are. I'm not sure if she gets any kind a salary or not. he husband keeps the lights on at home and watches over the kid while she's gone to races. While that's not a set up that is going to make her rich, it does at least allow her to train full time and race full time without having to work. I think a lot of cycling pros in this county, both on and off road have a similar situation. Sadly, not too many people in the US of A are making much of a living racing bicycles. (although I think she does continue to do on the side stuff like writing projects, etc) . In my mind, that is what makes a "pro" whether they are a runner or a cyclist, the ability to race and train full time. In any rate, she defenitely has a ral advantage over someone who has to juggle working full time and racing even though there's no doubt that she hasn't and never will make much money at it.

As to what will happen with the new owners, you might be right but I prefer to take a wait and see attitude. If they get rid of the 100 running race, they'll probably sell it cheaply and chances are good, someone who cares more about "soul" rather than bottom line will pick it up. Not sad to see Clouber go, but not having a knee jerk reaction to the new owner either.

9000ft said:
I have a few friends and an ex GF who are or have been into the ultra running scene (not me, I absolutely suck at running). One friend is a sponsored "pre" I think she at least gets her traveling expenses and entry fees covered plus whatever her winnings are. I'm not sure if she gets any kind a salary or not. he husband keeps the lights on at home and watches over the kid while she's gone to races. While that's not a set up that is going to make her rich, it does at least allow her to train full time and race full time without having to work. I think a lot of cycling pros in this county, both on and off road have a similar situation. Sadly, not too many people in the US of A are making much of a living racing bicycles. (although I think she does continue to do on the side stuff like writing projects, etc) . In my mind, that is what makes a "pro" whether they are a runner or a cyclist, the ability to race and train full time. In any rate, she defenitely has a ral advantage over someone who has to juggle working full time and racing even though there's no doubt that she hasn't and never will make much money at it.

My definition of a "pro" is someone who makes a real living. There are people in all sorts of disciplines who call themselves pros but are no more than hobbyist living in poverty or living on a family member's dime. How many "professional" artists are there that are really college professors or housewives who occasionally sell a painting? If you could make more money flipping burgers then you are not a professional anything...other than a professional bum.

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:
My definition of a "pro" is someone who makes a real living. There are people in all sorts of disciplines who call themselves pros but are no more than hobbyist living in poverty or living on a family member's dime. How many "professional" artists are there that are really college professors or housewives who occasionally sell a painting? If you could make more money flipping burgers then you are not a professional anything...other than a professional bum.

Well, your entitled to you opinion Bro. Maybe is a strict sense you have a point about a pro needing to make a real living. My opinion though, has more to do with a performance point of view. I think being able to concentrate solely on full time training and racing, racing for prize money, and not having to race out of your own pocket makes someone a pro. Perhaps not a rich pro, but a pro none the less.

There's a big difference between someone like that and someone who has to juggle a job with racing. I spent two years were I took the spring/summers off to train and race. While it became fairly obvious to me that I didn't have the talent, natural gifts and work ethic to make it as a pro, I got into by far the best shape of my life and had a few respectable results simply due to having nothing but training and racing to occupy my time.

As I said, with sponsorships being so tight these days and so few people getting paid real salaries, the line isn't as easy to draw as it was during more prosperous times. Makes me feel bad for the kids coming up who want to be bike racers these days. Even though they might have all the gifts, it's a pretty tough deal to break into and make a living at.

TRENDING THREADS