• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Leipheimer, Armstrong and the Giro

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Looks like Leipheimer is sitting pretty to make a serious run at the Giro, but can he and Astana really fight off multiple attacks from Italian teams when their #1 guy is a diesel with no turbocharger (unlike Contador)?

Armstrong didn't look look competitive before his accident, esp. at Milan San Remo (standing on the pedals when others were sitting--though perhaps due to his tight back). Even Cavendish outclimbed him at MSR. :eek:

Looks like Lance's accident has given Levi the opening to make a serious run at the Giro. The long technical TT should suit him (small guy, good bike handler). With his collar bone, is Armstrong going to be in some serious pain scrunched up in an ultra-long TT?

But can Astana handle the Italians in a big shootout day after day, esp. a wild first week?:rolleyes:

Is Levi even riding the Giro? And if he is, has he stated an intention on winning it? Or has Astana thrown their support behind him to win it?

Don't get me wrong, I think Levi could win the Giro, or the Vuelta, maybe the Tour if he got a little lucky, but last I heard he won the ToC and was planning on the rest of his season being there for Lance in the Tour. No other plans or aspirations to win anything that I can find. :(

Leipheimer will ride the Giro,but i don't know if he's going for the overall or will use it as a warm-up for the tour.
He should be in good shape though,so why not give it a try?
Astana will line-up a strong squad:Lance,Levi,Yaroslav Popovych will also be there,Brajkovic,Rubiera. On some startlist websites i've seen Kloden's name as well,but i remember he stated he won't ride the giro.
Anyway,the roster looks very capable to support a potential pink jersey:rolleyes:

Apr 3, 2009
www.dj-vega.net
Leipheimer should go for the overall win in the Giro in my opinion, and I truly believe he can pull it off this year, especially with that long timetrial and the lack of overwhelming adversaries. I mean, Pellizotti, Bruseghin, Di Luca, Simoni, Cunego, they're not the same kaliber as Contador, Sastre or Menchov in peak Tour de France condition, even though the Giro is their main objective of the season. I think only Basso could give him a good run for his money, but it remains to be seen how good he'll be in a three week race. Sure, it's not as glamourous as a Tour win, but unfortunately for him, Levi is in the wrong team. With Contador and now Armstrong, he'll never be able to claim the leading role in the Tour, although he has proven he can win a grand tour. And counting on both Armstrong and Contador to fail is too much of a risk. So for his own sake, let the Tour ambitions go for this year, and focus on the Giro or Vuelta, so you'll have at least 1 or 2 grand tour wins on your palmares when you retire. He's too good of a rider to go into history as that superdomestique that sadly never won a big tour. In 20 years, nobody's going to remember he almost won the Tour or Vuelta...

Jasper said:
Leipheimer should go for the overall win in the Giro in my opinion, and I truly believe he can pull it off this year, especially with that long timetrial and the lack of overwhelming adversaries. I mean, Pellizotti, Bruseghin, Di Luca, Simoni, Cunego, they're not the same kaliber as Contador, Sastre or Menchov in peak Tour de France condition, even though the Giro is their main objective of the season. I think only Basso could give him a good run for his money, but it remains to be seen how good he'll be in a three week race. Sure, it's not as glamourous as a Tour win, but unfortunately for him, Levi is in the wrong team. With Contador and now Armstrong, he'll never be able to claim the leading role in the Tour, although he has proven he can win a grand tour. And counting on both Armstrong and Contador to fail is too much of a risk. So for his own sake, let the Tour ambitions go for this year, and focus on the Giro or Vuelta, so you'll have at least 1 or 2 grand tour wins on your palmares when you retire. He's too good of a rider to go into history as that superdomestique that sadly never won a big tour. In 20 years, nobody's going to remember he almost won the Tour or Vuelta...

Agreed. Sadly, I kinda think it's up to Armstrong how Levi races the Giro.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Jasper said:
Sure, it's not as glamourous as a Tour win, but unfortunately for him, Levi is in the wrong team.
Can you really say that though?

He rode with other teams and was nothing special.

He rides with Astana and is suddenly one of the top two or three TTers and climbers in the world.

Or am I just overly cynical?