• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lesser known races thread 2022

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
There was also this incident involving a helicopter in the 2020 Giro:

But the problem with the TV motorbikes is not just about safety (though they do lead to some crashes and many near crashes), and since I can't imagine a rightly positioned drone can determine the outcome of a race, I hope they will be used far more in the coming years.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Being realistic, to replace a motorbike a drone has to have multi-hour endurance, top speed of probably over 100 km/h and being able to fly above 2700 meters (we are not going to Colombia for this example). Probably being able to transmit video to the plane directly would also be an additional challenge.

Plus being able to handle bad weather.

I am not really confident that a drone with this set of attributes exists on the market right now, so I guess it will be motorbikes for a while

Yeah, with only a front cam a cycling race is not really worth watching, if you ask me. Not even if it's the first race in months.

I saw that they were using drones to cover the Alpine skiing world cup event earlier today and wonder if that would be applied to cycling at some point. It looked really cool and I would wager that it's much less dangerous than some people claim because there once was one drone that almost crashed on a skier.
In the final ITT of the 2020 Giro at some point there was a shot from a lateral field that looked like was taken from a drone considering that in Italy no one would allow an helicopter to fly so low and there wasn't the usual "noise".

Really, you have never seen accidents involving motorbikes?

You must not have been watching very closely, then. For me, Alaphilippe, Sagan, Fuglsang, GVA, Geraint Thomas, Landa, Adam Yates, Viviani, Nicki Sørensen, Stig Broeckx and, fatally, Antoine Demoitié all spring to mind. In addition, I have seen a car crash into Juan Antonio Flecha and make Johnny Hoogerland fly into a barbed-wire fence and even seen an inflatable kilometre port crash down upon Adam Yates.

In fact, I was quite surprised to see this conversation now. Because, usually when there's talk about using drones it's been when there - once again - has been an incident involving a motorbike.

I've been watching cycling for two decades and I can't recall a single incident with the current set up of motorbike cameras + helicopters which certainly doesn't mean it will never happen (or has never happened for that matter) but it does suggest that on the whole it's pretty safe.
There was a helicopter crash at the peace race in 2002. Riders were shocked and wanted to cancel the stage. I have only found a German source: article in German
Olaf Pollack said after the incident: If this would have happened three seconds later, 100 people would have been killed. Probably helicopters are more safe now, than they were 20 years ago.

Yeah, with only a front cam a cycling race is not really worth watching, if you ask me. Not even if it's the first race in months.

I saw that they were using drones to cover the Alpine skiing world cup event earlier today and wonder if that would be applied to cycling at some point. It looked really cool and I would wager that it's much less dangerous than some people claim because there once was one drone that almost crashed on a skier.
There is a race which uses drones instead of helicopters for its aerial shots and has pretty good live coverage - the mighty, mythical, legendary... HTV Cycling Cup.

• Wow
There is a race which uses drones instead of helicopters for its aerial shots and has pretty good live coverage - the mighty, mythical, legendary... HTV Cycling Cup.
The 2020 Giro did use camera drones for the final TT.
At least it's better than the coverage of Klasikoa Donostia, that one looks like they payed a bunch of local kids with a few beers to follow the race on their 5 vespas while filming it one their cellphone...

Grega Bole was beaten by a Monk in the opening ITT of the Tour of Sharjah. Well it's a jungle out there.

• Wow
Someone should suggest that climb to RCS for the UAE Tour instead of using always Jabel Hafeet and Jabel Jais but i don't have much faith, in 2020 they announced the route with a proper hilly stage ending on the Rafisa Dam climb but the week prior of the race was replaced by the usual Jabel Hafeet and now looks like they even cut the Hatta Dam uphill sprint for another bunch sprint, knowing Vegni the next step will be cutting also the ITT to have 5 pan flat stages and 2 unipuertos...

tour-of-sharjah-2022-stage-3-climb-n3-987f327463.jpg

• Sad