• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Levi: "There's more to be said..."

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Hmmmm...

Qoute:

There's more to be said, but it seems to early. A lot of things need to happen, and a lot of time needs to pass for all of us to understand, myself included, and let time heal some things.

Cryptic. I thought the time was passed where these guys were holding back. Maybe he wants to get something off his chest... but won't until he knows he's done with cycling? More fuel for the fire, eh?

I don't know how else to read his comment. Thoughts?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/leipheimer-hoping-to-return-to-tour-of-california

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
Hmmmm...

Qoute:

Cryptic. ....

I don't know how else to read his comment. Thoughts?
the way i understood the somewhat disjoint cn article was that levi's cryptic-ism was referring to the pending usada hearings against bruyneel and marti...he seemed to have implied, 'i will reiterate what i have said already or add more damming details depending on how levi-the sworn witness will be questioned at the actual hearing'.

nothing too cryptic imo except sending the message to usada, 'i'm your reliable witness should you need me and i know what and when i can babble about'

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
Well, that was not interesting ...

These guys should be banned from giving interviews also. Save them from putting their feet in their mouths so often.

of course they don't condone what I did, and I don't condone what I did.

But, it's great to have a healthy bank balance stealing from honest athletes isn't it Levi?

But I told the truth and I think they can appreciate that.

You should all appreciate the fact I had a nice, long career in Pro Cycling cheating honest and perhaps more talented guys out of a spot in the elite peloton and now I get to promote fun rides in Santa Rosa. Cool! right?!

But, let's skip over my bad deeds and sell UCI athlete PR line #1 at an elite event that had no testing, "the peloton is cleaner than ever"

It takes perjury charges for this guy to tell some truth. I wouldn't trust him to take my trash out to the curb.

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
python said:
the way i understood the somewhat disjoint cn article was that levi's cryptic-ism was referring to the pending usada hearings against bruyneel and marti...he seemed to have implied, 'i will reiterate what i have said already or add more damming details depending on how levi-the sworn witness will be questioned at the actual hearing'.

nothing too cryptic imo except sending the message to usada, 'i'm your reliable witness should you need me and i know what and when i can babble about'
Exactly right. I can't wait to see what happens, assuming that Bruyneel and Marti actually go through with their appeals. I hope they do.

DirtyWorks said:

But, it's great to have a healthy bank balance stealing from honest athletes isn't it Levi?

You should all appreciate the fact I had a nice, long career in Pro Cycling cheating honest and perhaps more talented guys out of a spot in the elite peloton and now I get to promote fun rides in Santa Rosa. Cool! right?!

But, let's skip over my bad deeds and sell UCI athlete PR line #1 at an elite event that had no testing, "the peloton is cleaner than ever"

It takes perjury charges for this guy to tell some truth. I wouldn't trust him to take my trash out to the curb.

Well said. At best Levi would have been a low level Euro Pro. With a full program he far outweighed his own potential and made good money from it for years.

He was never a GT podium rider. Ever. He should feel lucky and take the money and run!

Scott SoCal said:
Cryptic. I thought the time was passed where these guys were holding back. Maybe he wants to get something off his chest...

Levi has something he has been waiting to say:

"We represent the Lullaby League, The Lullaby League, The Lullaby League
And in the name of the Lullaby League,
We wish to welcome you to Munchkinland.
We represent the Lollypop Guild, The Lollypop Guild, The Lollypop Guild
And in the name of the Lollypop Guild,
We wish to welcome you to Muchkinland.
We welcome you to Munchkinland, Tra la la la la la la
From now on you'll be history.
You'll be history, you'll be history, you'll be history.
And we will glorify your name.
You will be a bust, be a bust, be a bust
In the Hall of Fame!"

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Not really cryptic. If he can't find a team for 2013 he has nothing to lose in talking more openly, and he can get some chumps to pay him to do the press circuit if he does talk some. Getting all he can before he re-becomes irrelevant. Look for some color commentary on the Reasoned Decision, nothing more, because if he does add more USADA's deal goes kaplunk, maybe loses ToC wins but I guess there's nothing much more to take away.

ElChingon said:
Not really cryptic. If he can't find a team for 2013 he has nothing to lose in talking more openly, and he can get some chumps to pay him to do the press circuit if he does talk some. Getting all he can before he re-becomes irrelevant. Look for some color commentary on the Reasoned Decision, nothing more, because if he does add more USADA's deal goes kaplunk, maybe loses ToC wins but I guess there's nothing much more to take away.

Agree with the colorized version of the RD. :cool:

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
mewmewmew13 said:
Just now having read that and the same line caught my eye.
many of us here think alike...:p

I'm thinking as he said its too early...more trials/ etc coming.
...sounds as if he's got more that he'd like to say doesn't it?

Levi is deep into this on an emotional level. His cousin is married to Weasel's son, (aunt and uncle and other family living in Boulder) his wife used to date and live with his (Levi"s) manager whom has a connection to Weasel, and it goes on and on. You should of seen his family at Centro after he ripped it up Flagstaff at the US Pro Challenge. Pretty subdued celebration. They all knew what was coming. They had to be imbarassed as hell. Now it is about to really hit home. Good luck Levi. This is about more than racing a bike again for him.

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
mewmewmew13 said:
Just now having read that and the same line caught my eye.
many of us here think alike...:p

I'm thinking as he said its too early...more trials/ etc coming.
...sounds as if he's got more that he'd like to say doesn't it?

That's how I interpret it.

My guess is he'll get 'real' when he's convinced his career is over. Omertà can't hurt you if you no longer participate.

Scott SoCal said:
That's how I interpret it.

My guess is he'll get 'real' when he's convinced his career is over. Omertà can't hurt you if you no longer participate.

If what Spetsa posted is right, then there are broad consequences if he does a Landis. If he shuts up, he has the option of doing a JV and lying and cheating inside UCI cycling. He could do his fun rides and a little coaching or whatever with cycling now and do okay.

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
If what Spetsa posted is right, then there are broad consequences if he does a Landis. If he shuts up, he has the option of doing a JV and lying and cheating inside UCI cycling. He could do his fun rides and a little coaching or whatever with cycling now and do okay.

The broad consequences are he will be unable to ride professionally for the next year, or possibly two, which would certainly conclude his competitiveness.

I'm thinking he's ****ed beyond belief that Lefevere, having doped in his career, having DS'd over decades of organized team doping, fired him.

Those comments are the very latest evidence of Omertà... The difference being this: Levi's gonna say what he knows. Eventually Zabriskie will too and same with Hincapie. The big difference being Levi has ridden on several dirty teams.

Stay tuned as this is probably just getting good and started.

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Of course there is more to say. Levi's testimony covered his time with Armstrong only. So Levi, let's hear the whole story. What was going on at Rabobank, Gerolsteiner, Astana, and Shack when El Patron wasn't around?

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Hmmmmm said:
These guys should be banned from giving interviews also. Save them from putting their feet in their mouths so often.

post of the day.

for the dopers and omertists, these quasi-critical interviews are like scoring in front of an open goal.

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:

Here, here. Keep telling it like it is.

I am more and more amazed at the seemingly total moral bankruptcy in professional sport, esp. cycling. It is disgusting.

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
why isn't his name taken off the list of winners of the ToC? and he might ride it again next year? such BS.
and how anybody can dope and have such a boring, non-attacking career is mind boggling, at least Lance, Floyd, and Tyler gave us some entertaining racing to watch, complete fail from the little rat gnome.

CobbleStoner said:
why isn't his name taken off the list of winners of the ToC? and he might ride it again next year? such BS.
and how anybody can dope and have such a boring, non-attacking career is mind boggling, at least Lance, Floyd, and Tyler gave us some entertaining racing to watch, complete fail from the little rat gnome.

There is a bronze stature of Leipheimer somewhere. The man is a hero.

CobbleStoner said:

Tour of Cali. California based rider. Easy.

And he is sort of harmless and adorable with that little bald head. In a disgusting sort of way.

CobbleStoner said:
why isn't his name taken off the list of winners of the ToC?

The rules, as they are and the penalty he recieved may permit it. But, hey ask Thom Wiesel and find someone over at AEG willing to stick their neck out at all. Few, if any, names ever associated with the organizer of that event.

CobbleStoner said:

Well, it is a team sport and every team needs athletes doing important supporting roles. He's a career-long cheater and doper, but lots of not-glorious, anonymous work needs doing in a bicycle race.