• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lezyne Floor Pump

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I have a lezyne floor pump (not sure if it's the classic drive or alloy), it's a great pump but recently after travelling with it in the car the gauge has stopped working properly.
The pump works fine, but the gauge responds *really* slowly. So I pump a few times and then it takes 5 minutes + for the needle to stop at the new pressure.

Has anyone experienced this problem with Lezyne or other pumps? Any thoughts on how I might fix it?

I've tried unscrewing the bolt at the end of the pump and spraying WD40 into it - that didn't make it any better (or worse).

Thanks.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Lezyne pumps are notorious for failing gauges, you're pretty much SOL. For the money that Lezyne charges you'd think they'd be user servicable, but no. Should have bought a Silca.

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Bummer! Thanks for the reply...

I've used a Silca pump and don't like the push-on chuck at all. As painful as it is I think I'll still go back for another Lezyne, it's a great pump IMO, will just be careful not to knock it around...

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
Lezyne

I had a similar problem with the Classic Floor pump I bought from Lezyne. After the first use, the gauge zeroed out at 25lbs. I contacted the company, and they sent me a new gauge. That was fine, but I had to contact them again for directions on how to replace it since there's no obvious way to remove the original. Their directions: smash the plastic cover of the gauge, use pliers to pry up the faceplate, and unscrew the old gauge from the inside. WTF? Should that have been obvious?

Haven't done it yet, but frankly, I agree - I should have bought the Silca. What kind of company manufactures a crap product, then tells the consumer to fix it when it stops working?

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
I would add that even though the Lezyne floor pumps aren't up to par their mini pumps are probably the best on the market. If they could figure out the pesky gauge problem with those fp's, offer replacement bits, and make it more user serviceable like a Silca, I'd get one. The chuck alone isn't enough to make me switch, which is nice on the Lezyne btw. If a freaking floor pump can't handle years of abuse, throwing it into the back of my truck, etc. without the gauge crapping out, it just ain't worth it. Goes without being said, ya know.

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
I would add that even though the Lezyne floor pumps aren't up to par their mini pumps are probably the best on the market. If they could figure out the pesky gauge problem with those fp's, offer replacement bits, and make it more user serviceable like a Silca, I'd get one. The chuck alone isn't enough to make me switch, which is nice on the Lezyne btw. If a freaking floor pump can't handle years of abuse, throwing it into the back of my truck, etc. without the gauge crapping out, it just ain't worth it. Goes without being said, ya know.

I've got one of the classic SKS Rennkompressor pumps, but have always wondered about the Silca ones. Have you tried both, and if so how did you think they compared against each other?

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Hawkwood said:
I've got one of the classic SKS Rennkompressor pumps, but have always wondered about the Silca ones. Have you tried both, and if so how did you think they compared against each other?

Silca is the best, all others are compared to them. Never used SKS but haven't heard any complaints, Pedros good, Topeak good, Park is no good.

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Silca is the best, all others are compared to them. Never used SKS but haven't heard any complaints, Pedros good, Topeak good, Park is no good.

I bought the SKS to replace a Park the latter was the worst pump I've ever used!

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Lezyne Alloy floor pump owner and user, its been fine for a couple years, just have to replace the small O-ring in the chuck. Gauge is fine as well, even bought a bike pressure gauge to compare it (due to the rumors) and they're off by a few PSI so its pretty good. Even have tossed the pump a few times and had it fall and no problem. Not sure if I got the best of the litter. Previous was Topeak and it was good, but after 7 or so years the chuck finally gave way and I just wanted something different, but its still in the back of the pile of bikes, just in case.