• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lightweight Urgestalt frame - new target of Moose hatred

Just when I've been starting to feel more mellow, Lightweight thankfully rolls out another massive turd to roust my anger.

Without further ado: here is the latest concoction from the overpriced sphincter of German engineering.

Lightweight%20Urgestalt%20-%20full%20bike.jpg

I know what you're thinking. I've seen this about a thousand times on the "Chinese bike" threads over at Roadbikereview. Dengfu, Shaqfu, GreatKeenfu,all make something like this.

But what's special about this one?
It's German. It costs $6,500. It's a "fondo" bike (whatever the f**k that means - I think it's Bullsh!t for "relaxed geometry").

And it's made in...the Far East. No joke. To "keep the cost down."

Poseurs rejoice. Throw some Meilensteins on that b!tch for the coffee shop ride and you're rollin' like a playa.

http://road.cc/sites/default/files/...gestalt/Lightweight Urgestalt - full bike.jpg

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
All it needs is a set of disc brakes and it would be perfect:D

Moose McKnuckles said:
Just when I've been starting to feel more mellow, Lightweight thankfully rolls out another massive turd to roust my anger.

Without further ado: here is the latest concoction from the overpriced sphincter of German engineering.

I know what you're thinking. I've seen this about a thousand times on the "Chinese bike" threads over at Roadbikereview. Dengfu, Shaqfu, GreatKeenfu,all make something like this.

It's German. It costs $6,500. It's a "fondo" bike (whatever the f**k that means - I think it's Bullsh!t for "relaxed geometry").

Poseurs rejoice. Throw some Meilensteins on that b!tch for the coffee shop ride and you're rollin' like a playa.

http://road.cc/sites/default/files/...gestalt/Lightweight Urgestalt - full bike.jpg

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:

Ahh yes, and it will likely crack in the 1st year.

But does it have a Kuku penthouse?
velonews.competitor.com/2013/09/bikes-and-tech/fancy-a-kuku-penthouse-assos-releases-new-s7-shorts-line_302206

Moose McKnuckles said:
Ho-ly-fuk. $519 for bib shorts.

I've seen it all.

Yes, that price does tend to cause one to hesitate. Having said that, the more expensive bibs I have bought in the past have always turned out to actually be the best value-for-money in the long run (still riding some 8 year old Assos bibs which show no real signs of wearing out).

But $519? No. It just isn't going to happen.

winkybiker said:
Yes, that price does tend to cause one to hesitate. Having said that, the more expensive bibs I have bought in the past have always turned out to actually be the best value-for-money in the long run (still riding some 8 year old Assos bibs which show no real signs of wearing out).

But $519? No. It just isn't going to happen.

I agree. I have 4 pairs of Assos that I've been riding for years. Superb bibs, but I wouldn't pay even $300 for a pair.

winkybiker said:
Hey! I choose to take offence! I'm over 50, an ex-mining exec (I'm not overweight, though) and my stem is flat and properly slammed. ;)
Oops! Apologies are in order - sorry Winky, I've seen shots of your C59 and it's a handsome machine :).

I was working for a very large mining company until recently and I saw some genuine crimes against stems on a daily basis when parking up the bike, including a Team Sky Dogma 2 with a steerer extender and Dura Ace C50's. Oh, and an iPhone mount :eek:

When the production of a $6,500 frame is moved to Asia to "keep the costs down", that cynical phrase should be enough to keep George Orwell spinning in his grave like a Whirling Dervish.

But hey, don't forget to match this bargain of a frame with a pair of $499 Sidi carbon soled shoes. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Berzin said:
When the production of a $6,500 frame is moved to Asia to "keep the costs down", that cynical phrase should be enough to keep George Orwell spinning in his grave like a Whirling Dervish.

But hey, don't forget to match this bargain of a frame with a pair of $499 Sidi carbon soled shoes. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

And if they made it in the EU that would add even more to the cost. I'm not saying a $6500 is a perfectly sensible price, but the fixed YMB sucks all manufacturing to China/Taiwan and there's no way to stop it.

For reasons I could never explain, Asos and other luxury brands seem to stay in business. The frenzy over electronic shifting is another example. Why fight it? Make ridiculous efficiency claims reselling OEM product like these and so many other shysters. There's a flourishing super-wealthy class of consumers buying this junk for triathlon PB's.

Moose McKnuckles said:

Only items I'd rescue from that bike are the wheels, the gearing & the saddle so I'd install them on a Pegoretti frame :)

someone must be a truly sucker to buy that Overpriced frame......

Apr 18, 2009
Visit site
hfer07 said:
Only items I'd rescue from that bike are the wheels, the gearing & the saddle so I'd install them on a Pegoretti frame :)

someone must be a truly sucker to buy that Overpriced frame......

Why save the wheels? They're not disc-ready! ;)

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
In 2010 an Extreme Power frame was in Vancouver for a mere $6600.00 and it weighs 1050 grams. Made in Italy to protect the technology. Other Colnagos are made in Taiwan but I'd bet using a lot of their engineering (taiwan's) rather than the CF research from Colnago's work with Ferrari (the car not the doctor) With the Lightweight name I guess I think this is not so expensive as their wheels.
I have several pieces of Assos clothing and while some of the more expensive items were bought on Ebay they are very well made. Provide service life often equal to double the next cheaper but still high end gear from other clothing makers too. I might consider they shorts under $300 but that is still a very hurting price. If you don't slide on them they will give full 3 seasons of use and some get more than that out of their bibs.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:

Meh. Methinks thou dost protest overly much. And that ain't relaxed geometry, 4 sure. Or, only relaxed in comparison to some of these newer frame that put the rim halfway up the rear crack of the BB. This one is tighter than some "crit" frames I used to see. Anyway, I will say this - they did a proper "stealth" job on the paint and coloring. Wuhoh. Bottleship grey matte, or maybe a desert scrub pattern might have been good options.

Kinda nice looking if you like that look. And I don't know what a fondo frame is - but the real G Lemond does - and was talking about it in that last press vid for his new bike lines.

DirtyWorks said:
And if they made it in the EU that would add even more to the cost. I'm not saying a $6500 is a perfectly sensible price, but the fixed YMB sucks all manufacturing to China/Taiwan and there's no way to stop it.

Brands like Time and Cyfac still survive making handmade frames in France that are less than the Asian-made Lightweight.