• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Liquigas to sue Etorre Torri over doping comments

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Liquigas to sue Etorre Torri over doping comments

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/liquigas-to-sue-ettore-torri-over-doping-comments

Also hear is a general overview of riders and others comments on torri's comments.

Mcquaid: "At a time when cycling is paying a very high price for its determined and constant commitment in the fight against doping, the allegations by the CONI (Italian Olympic Committee) prosecutor Ettore Torri can only spark a reaction of profound disappointment and dismay in all of those who practice and who love this sport,”

Gilbert: "We must show the world that the statements of Torri are unfounded,"

Sassi: “Torri maintains that nobody is clean, but I say that’s not true,” Sassi explained. “It’s for this reason that I continue to work in cycling. You can ride and win a Giro even without doping.”

Evans: “On Contador, I’d need to wait before forming an opinion. As for Torri, to say that all cyclists are doped is simply an insult.”

Pinotti:
“If you interrogate rider connected with doping, what did you expect them to say?” he asked on his Twitter feed last week. “They prefer to hide behind the belief "everyone is doping" instead admitting they are losers, wanckers (sic), cheaters, liars.”

Vaughters:
"His perspective is understandable and, you know, those thoughts are probably also the thoughts of a lot of people at this point in time. Torri has only been exposed to prosecuting cases, and to hearing admissions from people. However his exposure to the mathematics of it all, the broad data of it all is very limited."

1. nice, UCI, riders, teams against prosecutor Torri, the super-hero of Valverde's case. ?????

2. UCI defending riders interests ¿?, biological passport, etc. it seems next must be UCI supporting Contador

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Well, I wish Liquigas all the luck with this action. Are they aware that the UCI passport has already snared one of their riders, Pellizotti? Strikes me that this CEO might want to be a little better briefed before threatening legal action.

I especially like this passage:

"Zani told Gazzetta dello Sport that Liquigas will sue Torri for five million Euro because his comments have damaged the success of Ivan Basso at the Giro d'Italia and Vincenzo Nibali's victory at the Vuelta a Espana."

Would that be his 2006 "I was just storing the blood" victory or 2010?

Go ahead and sue him...this will be great entertainment.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
Interesting, it's the CEO of the Liquigas company threatening to sue, not anyone from within the team. Perhaps those from within the team know better.

Liquigas has a unique set up. The team is actually owned by Liquigas not by a management company so the CEO is the correct person to address this.

The CEO should actually read what Torri said because this is going nowhere.

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
JPM London said:
I really like Evans's and Pinotti's statements. I also think Vaughter's is very levelled, down-to-earth and objective...

Nice post, mate!

Vaughters never released any of his riders' blood data. Bernard Kohl says Anorexic Drew Carey is a liar.

Race Radio said:
Liquigas has a unique set up. The team is actually owned by Liquigas not by a management company so the CEO is the correct person to address this.

The CEO should actually read what Torri said because this is going nowhere.
Ah, I see. Thanks.

Although I'm not sure how much the CEO would know about the inner workings of a pro cycling team.

TERMINATOR said:
Vaughters never released any of his riders' blood data. Bernard Kohl says Anorexic Drew Carey is a liar.

So does Armstrong - if Vaughters opens his mouth too much - that doesn't make it true. I choose to believe some of what Kohl says and other stuff not so much.

I do put my money on trustworthiness and for me JV ranks higher than someone like Kohl. If you look at what JV has and hasn't said about the Postal days he's never directly lied about anything - which tells me he's the type who would prefer a telling "no comment" to lying even when the stakes are high - so yeah, in that sense I have a high regard for him and find it very believable he's doing everything he can to run a clean outfit... Don't forget it's tactically unwise to release pretty much any info on riders.

Liquigas has a great case. After Basso, DiLuca, Pellizotti, Da Ras, and Beltran take the stand, I am sure the judge will see that there is very little--really almost no--doping in cycling and Torri's general statements (with nothing specifically about a Liquigas rider) justify a large financial settlement.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
i bet the liquigas team all shít themselves thinking that their team is gonna be followed every step it makes from now till the CEO drops his case...:D

i watched a half marathon today in Italy, in a provincial town, there were lots of runners with mates on mtbs cycling in front of them to break the wind, it was windy....seeking advantage is a way of life in italy, Torri was right, a family business.

Right with nine doping investigations in cycling currently going on in Italy now, with almost daily cases of doping revelations in the sport for the past twenty years including Festina and OP, the most recent of which is no less than the number one cyclist in the world Contador, with the Rossi family, Riccò, Basso's sister, Valverde, Khol, Rasmussen, etc., not to mention the Landis-Armstrong drama: is it possible that the 80 year-old ex-magistrate is the cause of the bad image for the sport of two wheels? :rolleyes:

The Liquigas case goes far beyond the merely cynical, by taking us all for a$$es.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
So this is essentially PR grandstanding by the CEO? Does he honestly has a chance of winning, or can he open up a whole can of worms if he goes a head with this lawsuit?

craig1985 said:
So this is essentially PR grandstanding by the CEO? Does he honestly has a chance of winning, or can he open up a whole can of worms if he goes a head with this lawsuit?

with deep, deep pockets... they are an energy company with firmly established networks, against a doping agency with shallow pockets. Outcome?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
TubularBills said:
with deep, deep pockets... they are an energy company with firmly established networks, against a doping agency with shallow pockets. Outcome?

possible outcome is everytime one of their cyclists breathes they'll be tested.....possible that they'll drop every other investigation to go after liquigas riders, with the help of the multiple police forces...:rolleyes:

the doping agency is a judiciary with i imagine rights to use the forces to investigate possible crimes?

Torri wants an investigation he goes through the process and it gets done, well it might be every liquigas rider riding that gets investigated. might be a dry season next year for Basso and co.

think a few riders in italy might be happy about that as it'll give them a better chance at winning.