• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Live streaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiCadence04

BANNED
Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I've noticed people constantly throwing links around to live streams of cycling events in numerous threads in this section and since it's illegal to to host links to events such as the ones i've seen on these forums doesn't that make the owners of this community liable for legal action? I'll do a bit more digging around to find out if that's true or not but yeah..... Shouldn't really be posting links like that.

HiCadence04 said:
I've noticed people constantly throwing links around to live streams of cycling events in numerous threads in this section and since it's illegal to to host links to events such as the ones i've seen on these forums doesn't that make the owners of this community liable for legal action? I'll do a bit more digging around to find out if that's true or not but yeah..... Shouldn't really be posting links like that.

I'm glad you will, it's absolutely criminal.

HiCadence04

BANNED
Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Streaming

Illegal streaming allows you to view unauthorised copyrighted content on demand without downloading the illegal file. Websites may stream directly or provide links to content hosted on other websites. Both hosting unauthorised content and providing links to unauthorised content is illegal.

Illegal streaming sites often provide a subscription service whereby you can pay to stream illegal content. These sites can often host advertisements for legitimate products or services alongside the illegal content. They may also use trademarks, cover art and provide a plot summary or cast list as a means to fool consumers into believing that the website is legal.

I think we are getting somewhere on the illegality of streamed content.

HiCadence04

BANNED
Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
The owners of CyclingNews.com are the ones at risk when people link to streaming websites, they need to make more of an effort to stop people from linking races from websites like putting up a warning post and and also taking down said posts.

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Aye, indeed. I need my Eurosport stream fix. There is no way of watching cycling like Paris-Roubaix or anything like it, if you live where I do on the planet.

HiCadence04 said:
Hey i'm just looking out for CyclingNews.com and it's community, would hate to see it get shut down due to copyright infringement.

Really?
Joined today, just for the love of the CN community?
Seems more like an agenda to me.

There are any number of well known sites that post these same links.
They've been around for years. They have never been shut down.

HiCadence04

BANNED
Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
And what sites would those be exactly? could you post them in this thread so that i can see for myself.

I'm pretty sure with enough attention any site can be blocked by the big internet service providers for linking to or providing content that is teetering on copyright infringement.

HiCadence04 said:
And what sites would those be exactly? could you post them in this thread so that i can see for myself.

I'm pretty sure with enough attention any site can be blocked by the big internet service providers for linking to or providing content that is teetering on copyright infringement.

Yeah they were really successful with the pirate bay too.

HiCadence04 said:

If you don't know that then you're pretty wet behind the ears! The 'one eye' emoticon sadly missing from CN's repertoire.

HiCadence04

BANNED
Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Arnout said:
Yeah they were really successful with the pirate bay too.

They were actually, i believe the pirate bay was black listed by Virgin Media and blocked to all Virgin Media customers and i'd say they were a pretty big ISP company.

The same thing has happened with a number of websites that have been streaming soccer/football games.

An earlier thread: http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=20014

What's your connection to Eurosport?

HiCadence04 said:

JFGI

HiCadence04

BANNED
Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Come on now lets not make this whole thread about little old me and make it more about whats right and wrong and about CN's forum linking to websites that are streaming races illegally ok?

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
no, no - I have no idea who that is but I do remember pirate bay. Been streaming since 2009.

I opened this account last night because my computer my dell crashed and couldn't find my password ....I am contessador! Joined CN about a year ago to chat about Giro d Italia.

Sent an email to the forum explaining my situation. Only here to connect with other cycling nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.