• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Livestrong Apparel as collectors items

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Do you think that Livestrong-apparel will become collectors items, once it stops being made and most of his fans has thrown it away? A little like Nazi-memorabilia? After all Livestrong has become the symbol of the greatest fraud in sporting history, since we found out that Pro-Wrestling is fake :D. (not that Lance Armstrong is a nazi by any means).

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
uspostal said:
Most sponsors are dropping LA, not the livestrong brand name.

Not yet. But they will in time. They do not do it now because it willl look bad if they cut the ties to a cancer charity organisation. They will do it slowly. Who in the cycling community would want to wear anything Livestrong after the USADA report, unless it was as some kind of joke?

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Baroh1488 said:
Not yet. But they will in time. They do not do it now because it willl look bad if they cut the ties to a cancer charity organisation. They will do it slowly. Who in the cycling community would want to wear anything Livestrong after the USADA report, unless it was as some kind of joke?

Seriously? Tons of people wear the yellow bracelet because they support the CAUSE. People don't wear them because LA started it. People are just being stupid in regards to this subject. I'm not going to freaking boycott a good CAUSE. I didn't donate to the Floyd fund because I knew it was a bunch of BS. I'm NOT going to stop buying Nike/Oakley/Trek/SRAM/ etc... just because LA used and supported those products. That would be ridiculous. Nike shoes (I run) fit my feet the best, Oakley glasses are (by far) superior and look better, Trek has cheap bikes, and well, SRAM has that cool double tap shift thing going on. I use and wear products that work for me, my style, and my budget. Not because some athlete is on the payroll. For the record, I ride a Cannondale with Shimano, wear Oakley's (4 pairs), and wear Nike running shoes, golf clothes, and even have a few more of those yellow bracelets. Will I continue to wear these products? Yes, until they are not servicable enought to use. Regardless of how it came about, there are people with cancer that need assistance. I do not condone what LA did and how he acquired the funds to start the charity, but I am not going to just quit on a good product or good cause. Too many people out there worship these athletes so much they wear the same stuff. Get a grip, they play a game for a living.

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Rockets160 said:
Seriously? Tons of people wear the yellow bracelet because they support the CAUSE. People don't wear them because LA started it. People are just being stupid in regards to this subject. I'm not going to freaking boycott a good CAUSE. I didn't donate to the Floyd fund because I knew it was a bunch of BS. I'm NOT going to stop buying Nike/Oakley/Trek/SRAM/ etc... just because LA used and supported those products. That would be ridiculous. Nike shoes (I run) fit my feet the best, Oakley glasses are (by far) superior and look better, Trek has cheap bikes, and well, SRAM has that cool double tap shift thing going on. I use and wear products that work for me, my style, and my budget. Not because some athlete is on the payroll. For the record, I ride a Cannondale with Shimano, wear Oakley's (4 pairs), and wear Nike running shoes, golf clothes, and even have a few more of those yellow bracelets. Will I continue to wear these products? Yes, until they are not servicable enought to use. Regardless of how it came about, there are people with cancer that need assistance. I do not condone what LA did and how he acquired the funds to start the charity, but I am not going to just quit on a good product or good cause. Too many people out there worship these athletes so much they wear the same stuff. Get a grip, they play a game for a living.

I'm talking about the Livestrong products. Not the companies (Nike, Trek, Oakley etc)that carry them, even though they are bull**** companies with overpriced products (financing the superstars isn't free, you know). Livestrong IS Armstrong. His name is in the name (The official name of Livestrong is The Lance Armstrong Foundation), the color is yellow because of the color of the yellow jersey and the organisation is built on the illusion that if you're strong enough you can beat cancer (which implies that those who die from cancer weren't strong enough). As long as Livestrong generates money or get any attention, you can be sure that Armstrong benefits from it.

If you want to support the cause support an organisation that isn't built on a megalomanic sociopath, but on the cause itself. Livestrong is borderline Scientology, and Armstrong reminds me of Tom Cruise when he is speaking.

Sep 5, 2009
Visit site
Rockets160 said:

In the past you alluded to your bias in this post

Why. the. hell. do. you. keep. putting. dang. periods.after. every. word. ?. aggrevating. boner. head.
funny how he knew we were talking about lemond when "tool" was the only word mentioned.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Rockets160 said:

You can't compare Livestrong with Nike/Trek/Oakley/SRAM, etc. The latter are commercial corporations which happened to have Armstrong as one of their supporters. They didn't exist because of Armstrong. Armstrong is just one of their many clients.

Livestrong is completely different. It was created by Armstrong and everything associated with Livestrong is Armstrong-related. The name "Livestrong" is already a strong reference and it was created in honour of Armstrong. The yellow bracelets signify the Tours he won. So to support Livestrong, you are supporting a cause initiated by Armstrong. He's still sitting on the board, every ounce of support to Livestrong benefits him directly.

There are many other non-profit cancer charities you can support. Why does it have to be Livestrong? I don't see the why anyone would want to support an organization founded by the ringleader of a cycling drug cartel, no matter how noble the cause might be.

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
TheEnoculator said:
You can't compare Livestrong with Nike/Trek/Oakley/SRAM, etc. The latter are commercial corporations which happened to have Armstrong as one of their supporters. They didn't exist because of Armstrong. Armstrong is just one of their many clients.

Livestrong is completely different. It was created by Armstrong and everything associated with Livestrong is Armstrong-related. The name "Livestrong" is already a strong reference and it was created in honour of Armstrong. The yellow bracelets signify the Tours he won. So to support Livestrong, you are supporting a cause initiated by Armstrong. He's still sitting on the board, every ounce of support to Livestrong benefits him directly.

There are many other non-profit cancer charities you can support. Why does it have to be Livestrong? I don't see the why anyone would want to support an organization founded by the ringleader of a cycling drug cartel, no matter how noble the cause might be.

Exactly what I wrote. Great minds think alike.

He is holding a celebration tonight. This is the invitation.

http://www.livestrong.org/pdfs/15anniversaryinvite

I would like to be a fly on the wall.

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
In my opinion, anyone wearing anything Livestrong cares more about being seen wearing the items than the cause itself (if there even is a cause). A subliminal way of saying "Hey, look at me, I support charities!". It's more of a feel good fashion statement than anything else.

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
defiance

I still occasionally see people with full Livestrong kit riding their late model Trek Madones. (I'm in Canada.) I see it as an act of defiance in the face of reason and logic.

I did pick up some Livestrong gear cheap at a local second hand store. Many people at my workplace dress up for Hallowe'en, so I will mock Lance with my costume alterations.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I am definately going to quit drinking Michelob Ultra on behalf of Lance. I actually have to credit this whole affair for helping me see that in reality that was a sh*t beer. I'm switching to PBR.

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Baroh1488 said:
If you want to support the cause support an organisation that isn't built on a megalomanic sociopath, but on the cause itself. Livestrong is borderline Scientology, and Armstrong reminds me of Tom Cruise when he is speaking.

First post here (and likely the last, I don't have much to contribute on doping in cycling) - been lurking since June.

This is actually what first attracted me to look into this whole sordid affair in the first place. The Livestrong "charity", the double speak, the SLAPP cases. Borderline Scientology maybe not, it's actually in my view much closer to Landmark Education. In fact, I went looking for links between Armstrong, Livestrong and Landmark Education, and unfortunately all I found was that Landmark "graduates" have a tendency to support Livestrong, and a few people that have worked at both Livestrong and Landmark. Nothing of real significance.

Nevertheless it is still eerily similar. If you don't believe me, check out the links between Werner Erhard, est, Landmark Education, and The Hunger Project. A charity that "raises awareness", tens of millions of dollars, celebrities in pocket, interns defending them on the internet. I wouldn't be at all surprised if a Landmark Education person responded to this saying "Landmark is not a cult! It helped me reconnect with my estranged father and now I am being powerful!"

Of course, none of the clinic regulars would be involved in them. You're all far too cynical. ;)

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Of course - not say there aren't links between Livestrong and Landmark. There may very well be. Someone in the Livestrong family must have learnt how to set all this up from somewhere, and why not learn from the best?

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
reptar said:
Of course - not say there aren't links between Livestrong and Landmark. There may very well be. Someone in the Livestrong family must have learnt how to set all this up from somewhere, and why not learn from the best?

Maybe "The Lance Armstrong" case is going to expose more than just doping in cycling. Maybe it is going to bring down some people in the charities industry as well. Once the journalists start researching Lance Armstrong, they will inevitably start researching Livestrong... and who knows what skeletons will fall out of the closet. That will also be more interesting to the genereal public...

I had never heard about "Landmark Education" but it looks creepy... feeding of the weak and wounded.

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Baroh1488 said:
Maybe "The Lance Armstrong" case is going to expose more than just doping in cycling. Maybe it is going to bring down some people in the charities industry as well. Once the journalists start researching Lance Armstrong, they will inevitably start researching Livestrong... and who knows what skeletons will fall out of the closet. That will also be more interesting to the genereal public...

I had never heard about "Landmark Education" but it looks creepy... feeding of the weak and wounded.

It's not necessarily the weak and wounded that get drawn in either - the use of language in certain ways can subliminally catch even the most intelligent. Redefinition of words with slightly different meanings can set up mental loops, that even when you're consciously aware of a fallacy, your subconscious can override with the intended (false) argument. Scientology, Landmark, est, are all based on this field of Cognitive Behaviour Theory (CBT), obviously used for the purposes of ego and money making in their cases.

I have had reason in the past to read up on these organisations, and really, Livestrong's PR just reminded me so much of these organisations, that when Scientology was mentioned here I thought I'd comment. Quotes such as "We like our word" are totally meaningless, yet suggestive of the thinking that Lance wanted to plant in supporter's minds. His charisma certainly helps. A quick look through the livestrong.org and livestrong.com website and you can see a lot of meaningless jargon, which they've designed to draw people into their way of thinking. My opinion is it's fairly harmless psychologically compared to others, but it IS clearly designed to a mild form of CBT to reinforce the value of Livestrong to the inductee.

In another thread, someone had posted the picture of Lance surrounded by his "team" after giving his speech yesterday, and there was another poster mentioning something about it being a "cult". Not too far from the truth - the event was clearly a controlled environment, and watching the video, there were shills in both the audience and the podium to reinforce the "correct" behaviour of the group. Yet another thing that Large Group Awareness Therapy organisations (LGATs) and cults do to enforce mild hypnosis states. It is surprisingly easy to manipulate groups.

Of course, Lance and co may have been doing this deliberately, they may have just stumbled upon it by accident. A bit hard to tell at this point, and I'm not going to spend too much more time looking for any connections, unless I happen to stumble upon any leads.

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Someone correctly me if I am wrong:

Livestrong exists to further cancer awareness. Research is NOT in its plan.

While it makes people feel good, LS has done little if anything to develop procedure against cancer.

LS hire Lance to speak at US$250,000.00 an appearance.

LS sponsors "ride with Lance" rides for a fee. One ride in Canada was US$35,000.00 per rider. Lance dropped most of the riders and was rude an arrogant about photo ops. The riders who paid $35,000.00 received a receipt for a tax deductible charitable contribution of ... US$25,000.00. The other US$10,000.00 went to Lance's "jean" company, meaning hos pocket. This was a surprise to the riders. Nearly 100 riders participated. LA earned nearly US$1,000,000.00 in two days.

Wait until the IRS gets involved with USADA.

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
I just found these articles from a blog run by a Professor in accounting and a PhD student. They blogged about Livestrong being a dubious organisation as far back as June 2010. They were attacked in the comment section for being superficial and for hating Lance. Being the professionals they are that just made them dig for more dirt and that has resulted in numerous blogs about Livestrong. Interesting to read a professionals take on this, before the story about "The Livestrong-scam" hits the headlines and every "expert" will have an opinion.

I have posted the articles in the link below.

http://fraudbytes.blogspot.dk/search?q=livestrong&max-results=20&by-date=true

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Apropos the original subject of this thread: Oakley Livestrong Edition sale.

The only highquality Oakley products on sale at Wiggle. Coincidence?

Still insanely expensive in my opinion.

if they sell them at 60 % of the original price then maybe I would buy them as a collectors item. Once the media start questioning Livestrong I guess Oakley discontinue the production, and the items could serve as a symbol of what happened.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/oakley-racing-jacket-sunglasses-livestrong-edition/

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/oakley-radar-path-sunglasses-livestrong-edition/

TRENDING THREADS