• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

LiveStrong.org and cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.

LauraLyn

BANNED
Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
A few of us have made mention of the Lance Armstrong Foundation, LiveStrong, in our postings recently and in the past. One of the principle defense people use regarding the USADA case against Lance is that he is a "good man". People then refer to Lance as a cancer survivor and an important person in the fight against cancer because of LiveStrong.

LiveStrong.org is also involved in cycling. It sponsors a European professional team. But is even more involved through the many cycling and other athletic events around the country that it supports (and through which it is supported).

In the beginning of this year Outside published a piece challenging the LiveStrong Froundation: http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoo...nce-armstrong/Its-Not-About-the-Lab-Rats.html This was also summarized in a "Must Read" by VN: http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/01/news/must-read-livestrong-facts-and-fiction_203023 In the coming weeks much more will be published questioning the role of LiveStrong in cancer and in cycling.

This thread is for discussing the relationship between LiveStrong.org and cycling in the context of the current doping scandal. It is not intended to discuss LiveStrong.com (though inevitably there might be some mingling because there are mingled through Lance and through business).

Do you believe that LiveStrong.org should continue to have a place in sponsoring cycling and using cycling events to raise money?

Do you believe that cyclists should support LiveStrong.org following the revelations of Armstrong's doping?

I have made my position on this clear already in The Clinic.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
If it wasn't for the amazing awareness work of Livestrong, I'd still never have even heard of cancer. For years I thought people were being randomly killed by an Astrological sign shaped like a giant crab. Thank you Livestrong, and indeed to Lance, for educating me on this subject.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
I'm confused. I thought liveswrong.org had a cancer "awareness" mission. Why are they paying people to ride bikes?

Why does anyone pay anyone to ride a bike? To increase awareness. What do Fassa Bortolo and Mapei have to do with bike riding per se? Nothing. They make cement and tile grout respectively. Radio Shack? CSC? I could fill the page. I'm not saying Livestrong's money is being well spent, but it's very rare that the mission of the primary sponsor has anything to do with cycling.

M

LauraLyn

BANNED
Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
eyemgh said:
Why does anyone pay anyone to ride a bike? To increase awareness. What do Fassa Bortolo and Mapei have to do with bike riding per se? Nothing. They make cement and tile grout respectively. Radio Shack? CSC? I could fill the page. I'm not saying Livestrong's money is being well spent, but it's very rare that the mission of the primary sponsor has anything to do with cycling.

M

LiveStrong.org sponsors RadioShack Nissan Trek.

I no longer find it surprising.

LauraLyn

BANNED
Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Glenn_Wilson said:
Wait a minute. I am confused. What is it that you no longer find suprising?

That an American cancer organization would sponsor a Luxembourg professional cycling team.

Yes, I know I shouldn't have been surprised. I think I was only surprised by the audacity of it all.

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Why sponsor a cycling team at all ? surely the teams would put it on the jersey for nothing or a minimal fee to raise awareness if asked......or maybe not.

Status
Not open for further replies.