• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Logistics - Sun Screen

Apr 18, 2009
Visit site
Ok, so it's sort of a trivial detail, but it's something I've always wondered about, and anything's better than more Lance/Doping threads:

How do the whiter guys deal with sun exposure during some of these big long mountain stages? 6 hours under the sun is enough to get seriously burned without sunscreen. Heck, even a couple hours are enough in the right conditions. Obviously, they're slathering them up with sunscreen. But what about days like today where they're talking about rain? Do they still get covered up in case the sun comes out? Or are they all so tan, even the really white ones from northern climes, that they don't really need to bother much at this point in the year? Any idea what brands they use? I have some 'bullfrog' I bought last time I was in the US and it seems pretty good. Anyone ever seen a racer at the Tour/Giro/Vuelta forget their sunscreen and get roasted?

A very white guy,
Dave

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
davidw said:
Ok, so it's sort of a trivial detail, but it's something I've always wondered about, and anything's better than more Lance/Doping threads:

How do the whiter guys deal with sun exposure during some of these big long mountain stages? 6 hours under the sun is enough to get seriously burned without sunscreen. Heck, even a couple hours are enough in the right conditions. Obviously, they're slathering them up with sunscreen. But what about days like today where they're talking about rain? Do they still get covered up in case the sun comes out? Or are they all so tan, even the really white ones from northern climes, that they don't really need to bother much at this point in the year? Any idea what brands they use? I have some 'bullfrog' I bought last time I was in the US and it seems pretty good. Anyone ever seen a racer at the Tour/Giro/Vuelta forget their sunscreen and get roasted?

A very white guy,
Dave

A very good question. I know that Magnus Backstedt had treatment for melonomas that he picked up through riding without sunscreen and he now campaigns for rider awareness of skin cancer. Also, David Millar has suffered in the past with prickly heat and used to ride around the mountains and southern stages looking like he'd been run over by a Wimbledon court marker! I know how this feels since prickly heat affects me too and it's pretty uncomfortable. To answer your question, I use a store brand from here in the UK, Soltan, available at Boots. It's SPF 25 and has 5* UVA/UVB protection.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
You are looking at it from your perspective, as an occaisional rider perhaps.

But for a full-time rider, few riders bother. They are outdoor workmen, they have been riding for years and are brown even in the offseason on their legs and arms. Each year they gradually build up a tan from the Tour of Qatar so most feel there is little need for extra protection against burning, especially as cream can interfere with sweat evaporation.

But some riders do use products, I saw a grey/blue faced Bradley Wiggins the other day, the cream was so thick he looked ill. Millar has had an allergy to sunshine.

A

Anonymous

Stani Kléber said:

But for a full-time rider, few riders bother. They are outdoor workmen.

Exactly the kind of people who get skin cancer, then.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Davidw, I am like you. I am pasty white and burn easily. When I get sunburned, I turn red and then white again. There is very little tan in between.

I recently rode the Bicycle Tour of Colorado and the first 4 days were in 30+C weather. I would put on sun protection before starting and at each of the rest stops (3-4), but would still end up getting sunburnt.

The best products are SPF30+, UVA and UVB protection, and it must be sweat proof. In North America, you can buy products with a SPF greater than 30, but they are only licensed to a maximum of 30 in Australia. Regardless, sweat proof is essential IMO. For the Tour riders, Kleber is correct - a good base tan helps as well.

Heh. I started just such a thread during the Giro and never got much info about what the pros use.

Bullfrog is great stuff. Currently I use Ocean Potion Face Potion 45 clear zinc for my face. Bullfrog Superblock 50 for my neck. Bullfrog Gel 36 for my arms. And cheapo lotion for my legs.

back home in Australia I was doing MTB enduros (6,12 or 24hr) and didn't have too much problem - I used either Banana Boat Sport or Ultra, otherwise I used Hamiltons if I could afford it.
Haven't seen either over here in the UK though...

tried ocean potion in the states several years ago, but didn't think too much of it tbh...

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
Seriously?

BroDeal: 4 different products? Man that's a lot of work.

I live in the northeast U.S. and generally don't have to worry about it (granted, I only ride 10 hours a week vs. 30? for a pro), but when I lived in a much warmer climate I was very careful to always wear sunscreen, and I found that Bullfrog was the best by far. I can't imagine using more than one sunscreen at a time, though.

I remember Jan Ulrich often being sunburned, but considering how much time they spend in the sun, it would be insanely foolish for a pro with fair skin to just go without sunscreen.

bdbrooks74 said:
BroDeal: 4 different products? Man that's a lot of work.

Not really. Each has a different purpose. The Bullfrog Superblock has a high SPF and it stays in place forever. If you use it on your face, especially with a little bit of stubble, your face will be sort of white, even after hours of wearing it. The gel is super nice for the arms because of the hair. The cheapo lotion is nice for the huge amount of area that make up the legs because the good stuff would cost a ton over the whole of the summer. And the clear zinc for the face is fairly invisible but still works really well.

Apr 18, 2009
Visit site
Stani Kléber said:

But for a full-time rider, few riders bother. They are outdoor workmen, they have been riding for years and are brown even in the offseason on their legs and arms. Each year they gradually build up a tan from the Tour of Qatar so most feel there is little need for extra protection against burning, especially as cream can interfere with sweat evaporation.

But some riders do use products, I saw a grey/blue faced Bradley Wiggins the other day, the cream was so thick he looked ill. Millar has had an allergy to sunshine.

Some guys are naturally pretty white:

http://www.usacycling.org/gallery/albums/album12/Tyler_Farrar2.sized.jpg

He actually didn't look terribly brown when I saw him at the Giro either - he doesn't have that kind of complexion.

But, like I asked, perhaps enough days out gets them brown enough that it doesn't matter. I don't know, though, which is why I was asking.

Also, in addition to Magnus, David Canada had a melanoma.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
I've always wondered that, too.

I generally just use suncream on my nose and cheeks (i can't remember the brand I use, it's texture is more of a gel, so it doesn't run in my eyes). I don't find I need any on my arms and legs because they don't burn at all, even after 5 hour rides (I know it's probably not healthy, so I've started using a bit of cream, but it must wash off pretty quickly after the start of a ride, and it's not really practical to reapply mid-ride)

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
i use it on my nose and back of my neck but not on most of my body it makes me feel like im suffocating. as long as i slowly work up from winter to summer i dont burn sunburns are what really harm you not so much tanning slowly. keep in mind sunscreens have not been around forever and not every cyclist from the past gets melanoma and many studies show sunscreens themselves to cause or promote other cancers. so i guess do you want the inside or outside cancer lol. though some members of my family have developed melanoma on some exposed areas so i do worry about my nose and neck as they get the brunt of the exposure.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
it's all relative to the amount of riding that you do, your skin type, family medical history and climate [duh]. make sure that you get your ears covered too as they're pretty exposed on a bike!

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
SunScreen

As a resident of the High Desert of Northern Nevada and a fromer Alpine Ski Racer, I put sunscreen on for every ride. I consider it a necessity much like my helmet and a good pair of shorts. I have found that Banana Boat Sport will work for my neck and face (as well as arms and legs)and not run into my eyes which is the problem that i find with many of the other brands available. Bull frog has always been great for me as well but is not as readily available (and usually more expensive). I am riding the Death Ride tomorrow and in preparation i have purchsed a couple of travel sized tubes to reapply at the rest stops. This ride occurs between 5000 feet and 9000 feet and covers 124 miles (sorry i don't know the meteric measurements here). As a ski racer i was not as religous about applying sunscreen and as a result in my early thirties I was diagnosed with a melanoma which thankful was easily resolved (although it did put quite the scare into me).

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
John Stevenson said:
Exactly the kind of people who get skin cancer, then.

Exactly. Like farmers and construction workers. I ride 150--200 miles a week. I use sunscreen even on overcast days. If find that it will help you to feel cooler on a steep climb when the asphalt is melting & your HR is punching 190

May 5, 2009
Visit site
There is a lot about sunscreens and the ingredients that most people, even every single dermatologist I've ever spoken with (not to mean that not one single dermatologist knows such things) is not aware of. Here's a link to a site that has the most detailed info I've ever seen and has made me keenly aware of what I apply. They require you to register, it's free, and I urge those of you that really want some more accurate info as to what works, the differences between UVA and UVB rays, and the ingredients that actually protect your skin to take a gander at the info. By the way, living in Southern California and spending a lot of time in the sun, I've gotten into the habit of wearing long sleeves 100% of the time. Usually a surfing rash guard under my jerseys. They call it UPF (universal protection factor for sun) of over 50. That basically is a physical barrier blocking the UV rays. The sunscreen I use is Nivea in the blue bottles. It is has not been and is not available in the USA-eventhough it's been available in Europe for years. There a few ingredients that are UVA/UVB protective, one being Mexoryl, according the the info I've read, that is key in photostable full spectrum protection, which is now just available in some sunscreens in the USA. If I recall correctly, the avobenzone, and methoxycinnamate which are the key sunblock ingredients in almost all sunscreens here (aside for ti02 or an zn0) are not photostable and provide very little protection after 30 minutes. Like I said, a good read.

http://makeupalley.com/user/notepad/sunscreenFAQ/

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Look at most pro's in their late 30's and you'll see guys that look old for their age because of the exposure. LeMond always had bad skin but after a few years as a pro he looked about 50 years old in the face. Hopefully guys are more sensible about at least putting some kind of SPF on.

As someone mentioned, a lot depends on genetics. I knew a fair skinned surfer who had skin cancer when he was 19. Personally, I use a 75 SPF sport sunblock on my face and neck when working out. I'll be interested to read aermet's link above.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Actually I spotted a video made on the Garmin team bus and on the table was a big bottle of the same sunblock lotion I use "coppertone sport', I spend a lot of time in Florida so I have to apply whenever I cycle even if its overcast - so they definitely apply some sunblock.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Stani Kléber said:
Yes. Maybe there should be some educational campaign. Perhaps someone could "raise awareness" when it comes to cancer. Not sure who though?

er, i've already said that maggie backstedt runs a campaign :rolleyes:

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Sunblocks definately the way to go. I tan easily and don't burn but before a 160km race I did in the middle of summer, I slapped on a bit of the SPF 70 sports sunblock and after nearly 7 hrs later (incl. before and after) I didn't even have visible tan lines from my shorts!!

Then went for a swim and spent two hours lying next to the pool trying to get a tan :D

TRENDING THREADS