• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Long ITTs in a Grand Tour

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
What makes you think Fabian could take minutes out of Contador in a third week long time trial(which are usually hilly in the Tour)? I wouldn't bet my money on it. Assuming they're riding under the same weather conditions of course. Cancellara wouldn't be in the' first 10 even if there were 139 time trial kms in the Tour. As long as there are some decent mountain stages in it, even 2009 would be too mountainous for him. He's one of the heaviest riders in the peloton, if he changes his weight, he also loses a lot of advantage in the time trial. Plus Cancellara's recuperation skills are quite mediocre IMO. He gets beaten a lot in third week time trials, but is still unbeatable in one day time trials. He's a one day racer pur sang and most one day racers can compete in one week races, but Cancellara will never compete in a Grand Tour for the victory unless they avoid all mountain stages.

woah! settle down there buddy. i guess the big green smiley emoticon does not come up on your computer. i was just having a little fun.

obviously, the more itt kms the better for berto.

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Menchov will win a GT next year if there is one that has a lot of TT kilometers and Contador is not participating/in great shape for it.

How would the Schelks/Alberto go against Cadel in Mountain TT what would time gaps be, would they gain time on Cadel.

Cadel came second last year on Plan de Corones in Giro.

Stage 16 results
1 Stefano Garzelli (Acqua e Sapone) 12.8 km in 41:28:00 (18.5 km/h)
2 Cadel Evans (BMC) + 0:42
3 John Gadret (AG2R) + 0:54
4 Vincenzo Nibali (Liquigas) + 1:01
5 Michele Scarponi (Androni) + 1:07
6 Ivan Basso (Liquigas) + 1:10
7 Rigoberto Urán (Caisse d'Epargne) + 1:36
8 Alexandre Vinokourov (Astana) + 1:37
9 Dario Cataldo (Quick Step) + 1:41
10 Evgeni Petrov (Katusha) + 1:46

Regards

Hugh

will10 said:
Which regulation(s) is that then?

For a plain ITT, the distance is 80km. UCI Rule: 2.4.001

For an ITT in a stage race, the limit is 60km, the same for a TTT. UCI Rule: 2.6.008 Stage distances

For a single day TTT, the limit is 100km. UCI Rule: 2.5.002

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
hughmoore said:
How would the Schelks/Alberto go against Cadel in Mountain TT what would time gaps be, would they gain time on Cadel.

Cadel came second last year on Plan de Corones in Giro.

Stage 16 results
1 Stefano Garzelli (Acqua e Sapone) 12.8 km in 41:28:00 (18.5 km/h)
2 Cadel Evans (BMC) + 0:42
3 John Gadret (AG2R) + 0:54
4 Vincenzo Nibali (Liquigas) + 1:01
5 Michele Scarponi (Androni) + 1:07
6 Ivan Basso (Liquigas) + 1:10
7 Rigoberto Urán (Caisse d'Epargne) + 1:36
8 Alexandre Vinokourov (Astana) + 1:37
9 Dario Cataldo (Quick Step) + 1:41
10 Evgeni Petrov (Katusha) + 1:46

Regards

Hugh

alberto would beat cadel and andy but cadel would still beat andy. itt are about mental strenght as they are about pure watts. some riders can hold hight wattages for a long distance like gilbert but lack the "it" factor to exell in a itt.

El Pistolero said:
Tony Martin in Tour shape would have won this Vuelta if we had 139km of ITT. No thanks. As long as the mountain stages don't include multiple mountain passes it's best not to have too much time trials. Though if you have a lot of Gardeccia like stages then bring on those time trials! But that's not going to happen in the Vuelta.

Giro could have used some more time trials though.
That's what I was talking about. All stages are designed to minimize gaps, hence few ITT kms and few real mountains - and even those go wasted for the most part.

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
spanky wanderlust said:
every tdf should have at least one long itt where the winner would probably be the only one the finish under an hour.

i really think the minimum total km for an entire tdf should be 100k. for the other tours anything from 50-80k. that's for everything: itt, ttt, prologue, mtt.

if you want to make it a "climber's" parcours, fine. just put a really hard mtt in there.

obviously, 139k is too long for the modern era. but it would be hilarious to see fabian duking it out with tony martin for the gc.:D

I think Andy would have something to say about this. But again. Who cares what he thinks :rolleyes:

I would just want any extra ITT kilometres. Though next year Andy shall be worked on to make him the new Cancellara. He has had a slow and steady progression to soon be the best ITTer. 5 minutes off the pace in 10 then 2:30 in 11. Going to win 7 TDF's from the age of 27 next year ( coincidentally the year LA started winning )