• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Long term muscle memory response to steroids

Interesting article today

Three months after withdrawal of the drug (approximately 15 per cent of a mouse's life span) their muscles grew by 30 per cent over six days following load exercise. The untreated mice grew insignificantly.

This follows on from a piece last week in the BMJ where the response life of muscles post washout of anabolic steroids, in humans, was given as 8.3 +/-3.2 years . That generated a piece I picked up here about the author Savulescu who is a long term advocate of legalising the use of PEDs in sport, because the fight is lost.

All in all, both scientific studies of both mice(15% of lifespan) and men (12% of lifespan) make the 2 year bans look like a little bit pathetic. The BMJ references on study of humans look quite detailed.

IrishBias

BANNED
Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Freddythefrog said:
Interesting article today

Three months after withdrawal of the drug (approximately 15 per cent of a mouse's life span) their muscles grew by 30 per cent over six days following load exercise. The untreated mice grew insignificantly.

This follows on from a piece last week in the BMJ where the response life of muscles post washout of anabolic steroids, in humans, was given as 8.3 +/-3.2 years . That generated a piece I picked up here about the author Savulescu who is a long term advocate of legalising the use of PEDs in sport, because the fight is lost.

All in all, both scientific studies of both mice(15% of lifespan) and men (12% of lifespan) make the 2 year bans look like a little bit pathetic. The BMJ references on study of humans look quite detailed.
How many years does the athlete need to take them to get the benefit long after being off them?

One report - long term users in were 5 to 12 years. These had significant very long term permanent muscle cell changes over the ones who had not taken supplements. As little time as a 20 week program was creating changes which had long term effects. All quite difficult to quantify as the sample group were not homogenous.

All samples trained for 4 to 6 times per week for 2 to 3 hours per session and were high level competition weight lifters.

Get on the gear, serve a ban if you are dull enough to be caught, but you have the gains long after you run clear in the tests. Easy init! No wonder Lance posted his picture of him reclining under his 7 framed yellow jerseys. "Suckers! It was great whilst it lasted and its great now ! I've got a ranch and you haven't."

Clearly it has a massive effect on memory considering how forgetfull dopers become - eg look at how Ogrady totally forgot he had been an epo user when he started to "commit to anti doping", or how poor Zabel could only ever remember doping the once and was shocked to find out actually he had been doping his entire career etc.

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Clearly it has a massive effect on memory considering how forgetfull dopers become - eg look at how Ogrady totally forgot he had been an epo user when he started to "commit to anti doping", or how poor Zabel could only ever remember doping the once and was shocked to find out actually he had been doping his entire career etc.

Lol, that was quite good.

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
always better

Not a big surprise IMHO.
I always thought that whoever gets the body shaped by steroids and other PED will always have the better on the clean athlete and increase the span of the athletic career. If you are smart and don't blow yourself up you can definitely shortcut a few seasons of drug free training and mature more quickly.
You can't have a fanclub, a special paint bike or whatever unless you are going to be around a few seasons winning a few majors in a row. With Dr. Ferrari-type strict management PED can definitely increase the body stability and predictability of day-in day-out training.
Its just the way of the world.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
just see how Cipollini came back at Tour of California. And how Armstrong thought he could basically come back on the back of blood vestors and steroids.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:

I hoping against the use of drugged lab mice in clinical trials in a bid to improve pro cyclists memories. That would be unethical.

We need human volunteers for this IMO.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
It looks like we should all let our licences laps for a year and come back clean yet improved. Maybe riders considering a career should make sure to dope before they take a racing licence to get the lifetime benefit. Had I took steroids for a couple of years before I started racing I probably would have made it to cat 3.:mad:

Sorry for picking nits but this is misapplication of the term. "Muscle memory" is the term used for "motor training," which is the objective of endlessly practicing piano or shooting a million basketball freethrows. Thereafter, the muscles seems to act without conscious thought, as if they "remember."

Michael van Gerwen tosses 19 PERFECT consecutive darts.
Michael Jordan shoots a freethrow WITH HIS EYES CLOSED (nuthin' but net).

THAT is muscle memory.

The change 'roids produce in muscles occurs at the cellular level anyway so "cellular memory" or "mitochondrial memory" probably is a more apt description.

But being as it's the Beeb, props for not misspelling it.

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Interesting reading. I had a friend who was a semi-professional rugby player who said that it was common practice to bulk up with steroids as an amateur, then go clean as a pro as you would retain a good deal of the strength benefits.

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Master50 said:
It looks like we should all let our licences laps for a year and come back clean yet improved. Maybe riders considering a career should make sure to dope before they take a racing licence to get the lifetime benefit. Had I took steroids for a couple of years before I started racing I probably would have made it to cat 3.:mad:

Funny. I always thought that was the loophole, at least for amateurs. Seems like there's nothing to prohibit an amateur from letting the license lapse to dope, so long he or she stops before taking out the license again. Am I missing something?

TRENDING THREADS