• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mainstream Opinion

I said this before but I think it is important for the USADA to write a damning report and do it quickly. Armstrong's main talking points are that no evidence was ever shown and the process was unfair.. If the USADA allows this to sink in to the public's consciousness then it will be hard to change.

Armstrong's homers are still using the 500 tests and "there is no evidence" to say that they don't believe he doped.

A great example of mainstream opinion would be my Facebook feed. Unbelievable. A few who even follow cycling have publicly stated that they either
a) think USADA is unfair i.e. witch hunt,
b) don't believe Lance doped i.e. most tested athlete BS,
or c) don't care since they were ALL doping anyway.

In an effort to try and shut these moreons up, I have been regularly posting quotes, and articles involving Kimmage, Bassons, and basically driving the point that Lance is just the tip of the iceberg. These past few days have shown me that some guys do indeed have a h@rdOn for the one called Wonderboy.

BroDeal said:
I said this before but I think it is important for the USADA to write a damning report and do it quickly. Armstrong's main talking points are that no evidence was ever shown and the process was unfair.. If the USADA allows this to sink in to the public's consciousness then it will be hard to change.

Armstrong's homers are still using the 500 tests and "there is no evidence" to say that they don't believe he doped.

In the 24 hour news environment it was all about the day lance withdrew. That wasw when every station and paper carried it. It was "breaking news" so thy covered it. I can't see any of the evidence reaching many ears.

Maybe when the uci oficialy strips him or whatever.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Turner29 said:
Thankfully, the "trending" opinion is that Lance Armstrong doped.

But you have to agree with Bro's opinion on the shelf-life of response by USADA. Unfortunately they may have to stall on the Bruyneel arbitration or risk all of the evidence gets debated and diluted in the public view. If Bruyneel is allowed to slip the charges that would provide Lance with enough vindication to continue his public relations lie.
This on CNN recently: Americans stand separate from most of the world on the concept of creationism. Apparently 47% believe in creationsim, 30%+ believe in evolution and the remainder just know they're going to die. That is up from the percentage of non-scientific thinkers from a decade ago in this era of instant information. Given time Lance could convince that same 47% he created the world.....

I don't have an account on that and can't create one from.my phone but anyone want to respond to the tool who says British people would never dope.and then says " Bradley Wiggins has taken the most virulently anti-drugs position of any athlete, ever."

I mean boy is that an insult to bassons.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I've never posted in CN just lurked for years, but I've been arguing all over Reddit against Lance since Friday. You guys are being represnted, just not in large numbers. Some of the people are just complete idiots.

I've managed to convince one person after a four day long argument but that's my only victory. I've actually been directing a lot of the people here, but who knows if they ever read it.

May 7, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I said this before but I think it is important for the USADA to write a damning report and do it quickly....

I could not agree more. Time is of the essence as people quickly become entrenched in their opinions.

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
secondwind said:
I've never posted in CN just lurked for years, but I've been arguing all over Reddit against Lance since Friday. You guys are being represnted, just not in large numbers. Some of the people are just complete idiots.

I've managed to convince one person after a four day long argument but that's my only victory. I've actually been directing a lot of the people here, but who knows if they ever read it.

You're doing God's work, son.

But sending them here may not be the best option. It's just the same 12 people posting, each with personal vendettas against Lance. :p

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
It seems clear to me that the so called 'haters' are in fact true fans of cycling. The people who constantly bang on about the same Lance PR points, that we have heard ad nauseum for god knows how long, can't honestly call themselves fans of the sport. Just fans of one rider and his team.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
I have seen some mind changed because this got so big even seen some football (soccer) fans changed their mind on football having no doping problem because they would actually read the articles I showed them.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
The problem is most people are very ignorant to the joke that is the testing system. People generally assume that if you pass a test you have to be clean, which is ridiculous because if the tests worked 100% nobody would ever dope.

I have to admit before I discovered these forums I was very gullible too. I remember watching highlights of the Tour back in the day and there would be some latest rumours on Lance doping. Lance would respond with most tested ever, and the French hate him for winning their race etc. I lapped it all up and believed him, and trust me I wanted Lance to be dirty I was a big time Ulle fan :D. He is very convincing to the casual fan.

I heard something with Dr. Drew (Pinsky) from HLN, Loveline, etc. commenting about how could Lance evade detection since he's been tested over 500 times. I hate this cr*p. The Armstrong PR machine has drilled that in the the public psyche and it's worked on many people. I really, really hope that 60 Minutes or another large news outlet does a story detailing everything once all the facts come out from the USADA.

May 7, 2009
Visit site
The "never tested positive" line is what has really sunk into the minds of mainstream non-cycling fans. This needs to be de-bunked in the online comments sections of the mainstream press. It seems this is mostly done through Facebook. If you are on Facebook and can write intelligently, you should get on those comments sections and de-construct this myth in a non-confrontational way tht the average reader can understand.