• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mauricio Soler in the giro.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
He prob already has a thread but will take too long to find with this search engine.

CGIlxYvWcAAfprn.jpg

Awesome to see him again, he looks really good.

I remember that i heared terrible things after he had his crash (i think it was suisse 2011?). Even things of the kind that he'll never be the same anymore.

I'm not sure if he is but on the pic he at least looks to be doing fine.

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Such a pity...could have had an awesome career...will never forget that Tour win even though Contador probably would have caught him only for that flat tyre...great pic though, would have been a great ally to Contador had he not had those accidents

Good to see him looking well.

My first son was born in July 2007, so I had a few weeks off work and I think I saw almost every minute of Eurosport's live coverage of that Tour. Although the chicken and Alberto battles were great, the thing that sticks in the mind is Soler. He really animated the race.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Alcanelo said:
Such a pity...could have had an awesome career...will never forget that Tour win even though Contador probably would have caught him only for that flat tyre...great pic though, would have been a great ally to Contador had he not had those accidents

Djeez. Not everything has to do with Contador. Give him the credit, he won that stage fair and square. Contador would not have won that stage anyway.

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

Arredondo said:
Alcanelo said:

Djeez. Not everything has to do with Contador. Give him the credit, he won that stage fair and square. Contador would not have won that stage anyway.

Of course not but Contador would have likely won that stage were it not for the puncture... I watched the stage and saw what happened...

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

Alcanelo said:
Arredondo said:
Alcanelo said:

Of course not but Contador would have likely won that stage were it not for the puncture... I watched the stage and saw what happened...

I saw a Soler who was the best that day. You can't say he would have won.

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Yes I can...Contador was at his near best then...only a chicken who was walking with PED's could challenge him...he destroyed all those around him that day. The puncture f*cked him badly...he was well on his way to catching Soler. Fair play to SH, he won, he climbed incredibly well...it's just one of those lucky breaks he got.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Alcanelo said:
Yes I can...Contador was at his near best then...only a chicken who was walking with PED's could challenge him...he destroyed all those around him that day. The puncture f*cked him badly...he was well on his way to catching Soler. Fair play to SH, he won, he climbed incredibly well...it's just one of those lucky breaks he got.

We are talking about the same stage?

Alcanelo said:
Arredondo said:
Alcanelo said:

You got the wrong stage!
Check it out again.

So nice to see Soler! He was really entertaining when he had the legs. If I remember the stage right Contador flatted in the descent and Soler had two minutes on him up top, Contador was going down really fast but I'm guessing that given the risks Contador takes on the descents he had about as much of a chance of catching him than crashing (in fact, if I remember correctly at the time a commentator mentioned he hit pothole or something precipitating that flat). Anyway, good on Contador, I know some riders hate seeing guys that were injured in crashes. Amazing that they're almost the same age.

TRENDING THREADS