• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Maxim Iglinsky positive for EPO

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Why is the word of Lieuwe Westra to be believed?

Maybe Vino has chosen Westra to be unofficial PR damage limitation voice.

This is Vino's team and you think a Kazak team which 2 Kazak bothers are popped for EPO were acting on their own when their Manager is a doping demi god.

Are you that naive, Astana hired Bruyneel, then Martinelli, 2 guys who inside the sport were known for winning with doping.

It wouldn't be surprising if Astana does regulate EPO usage within the team to such an extent that it cannot be traced in controls. The fact that they tested positive, in that case, indeed is an indication they were trying something without the team's knowledge. It's pure speculation of course, but that's how I read it.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
HSNHSN said:
It wouldn't be surprising if Astana does regulate EPO usage within the team to such an extent that it cannot be traced in controls. The fact that they tested positive, in that case, indeed is an indication they were trying something without the team's knowledge. It's pure speculation of course, but that's how I read it.

Or that Astana wanted rid of the Iglinsky bros.

This sport is so mired in underhandedness who knows why they tested positive, when Astana has such finances to run a program and experience on the team too.

As you say it could be they were not getting the response from microdosing and took more and tripped positives. IQ failure. Strange thing to do at the stages of their careers.

Benotti69 said:
Why is the word of Lieuwe Westra to be believed?

Maybe Vino has chosen Westra to be unofficial PR damage limitation voice.

this is from his blog in some unimportant small dutch newspaper, so I guess its not too unlikely it indeed is his own opinion and way of looking at things.

the problem is, he comes to the wrong conclusions. Its true that Iglinskiy's season has not been particularly good (nor 2013, apart from the world championships) - but it looks like some people of Astana were still confident that would change for the Tour de France. He did not even need to go to the training camps or stay with the team, they were still sure he'd improve a lot and be good enough to deserve a spot in the team.

Westra's conclusion is Iglinskiy doped, which may very well be true - but why he thinks that this indicates he did it on his own is beyond me

Benotti69 said:

1 week after (winning) the Tour, that would have been a bit risky I think

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Bernie's eyesore said:
Interesting stuff. Does seem that the Iglinsky brothers were acting on their own and without the knowledge of their team. Glad to see Astana aren't half as bad as some believe (myself included if I am honest).

Lolz. Ta very much, haven't had such a good laugh for a while.

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Benotti69 said:

This sport is so mired in underhandedness who knows why they tested positive, when Astana has such finances to run a program and experience on the team too.

I would find that incredibly unlikely, a positive doesn't do anything good for a team. Two positives starts a trend.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Westras complaints about M. Iglinskiy at the Tour reminds me of something Fugllsang said. Some time during the last part of the Tour he complained that his teammates had been riding like they had stolen the bikes (as if they were trying to escape). This was after he had had the run in with JVDB²'s bidon. Some other day around the same time he was asked if he'd slept well, with all the road rash and bandages, and he said "no, and it hadn't helped to be awoken at six for doping testing either".

There were lots of testing at the Tour, but no positives. Maxim Iglinskiy was positive for EPO just a few days after the Tour. It took two months from the date of the sample to the positive was announced. Were UCI retesting his sample after his brother was found positive? Hadn't they had it analyzed for EPO priviously?

TRENDING THREADS