McDonald/Wellington/Ride!

I don't know why, but I love this pic. I love that the race seems to be finishing on a boring, regular old street--just like I ride on. I love that, with his relatively big arms and simple (albeit professional) kit, McDonald looks like maybe I would if I got really serious about cycling and turned out to have some natural talent.

I love the story of the race, too, with a lone rider audacious enough to challenge the bunch finish. Look at those suckers in his wake, out of focus, trying to bring him back for everyone else who either didn't or wasn't able to go on the climb when McDonald and his mate made their move.

I watch the big races--Roubaix, Le Tour, San Remo, etc--and almost lose track of what these guys are actually doing, and what it means to ride. It's easy to get caught up in the spectacle of the top-end guys. But occasionally a picture from a smaller race like the Tour of Wellington, focused on cyclists I've never heard of doing amazing things, brings me back to what I love about the sport--namely that, yeah, every time I go out on my bike, I'm kinda riding my own Roubaix, Worlds, or Tour of Wellington.

Whatever. Maybe that's a silly sentiment, and maybe I've offended some McDonald/Tour of Wellington fans by seeming to demean them (But I had no such intention--in fact, I look forward to diving into the rest of the race's coverage after I finally shut up here), but whatever. Every once in a while, I see a pic that gets me really excited to go out and ride my bike. This is one. I was compelled to share, and hope that you enjoy it as much as I do!

 
Oct 7, 2009
55
0
0
mr. tibbs said:
I don't know why, but I love this pic. I love that the race seems to be finishing on a boring, regular old street--just like I ride on. I love that, with his relatively big arms and simple (albeit professional) kit, McDonald looks like maybe I would if I got really serious about cycling and turned out to have some natural talent.
Do you know Maccas background ? Cycle courier to club A grade to Australian National Champ ... 2008 was runner up in Australian crit title, then won 2008 Nationals besting 2 ProTour professionals in Hansen and Rogers from a break. Two team mates on Columbia couldn't keep him down!

LEGEND!
 
Sep 18, 2009
163
0
0
timbat said:
Do you know Maccas background ? Cycle courier to club A grade to Australian National Champ ... 2008 was runner up in Australian crit title, then won 2008 Nationals besting 2 ProTour professionals in Hansen and Rogers from a break. Two team mates on Columbia couldn't keep him down!

LEGEND!
30th at TDU
14th on the Willunga Hill stage at 5sec

perhaps his biggest moment
Winning the Syd-Courier Christmas Party HillClimb at Bronte in 2006... (I wasn't there!)
 
What about Jay Thompson? Leading the sprint classification, won the sprint points, in the break today all day and when that got swallowed up still had the muscle to take out a bunch sprint very convincingly.

...and check out the guns on the guy!!!

 
Tugboat said:
What about Jay Thompson? Leading the sprint classification, won the sprint points, in the break today all day and when that got swallowed up still had the muscle to take out a bunch sprint very convincingly.

...and check out the guns on the guy!!!
mr. tibbs likes this.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS