• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

McQuaid defends Andersons Doping History

A

Anonymous

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mcquaid-defends-andersen-and-team-leopard-trek

“He’s already answered several times in relation to his past and present and his future. Yes he was positive as a rider but so was Bjarne Riis [ed - Riis never tested positive but admitted to doping]. They still do good work now. Kim has every right to earn a living and be involved in cycling as he does good work,” McQuaid told Cyclingnews.

Hmm. just like Kohl pat, or the Chicken..

Sounds like another "lets forget the past" line.

Its a team boss who failed multiple dope tests as a rider Pat.. do we really want guys like this running cycling teams. ffs

A

Anonymous

I can't figure out why I am surprised. I guess the size of the friendship payments must have been big enough.

It's as if McQuaid knows everyone knows how corrupt he is and just goes about his business. No hiding it. No obfuscation. Just in your face corruption.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
dolophonic said:
SSDD !

Its a joke. Plus he tried to taint Riis.
Just goes to show that you are either "In" the club or outside...."

wonder how much it costs to join the club and how often the membership payments have to be made????

McQuaid what a joke, it's amazing that people keep publishing what this idiot says without calling him out on others, like as above, Kohl, Sinkiewiez, Rasmussen et al:mad:

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
I can't figure out why I am surprised. I guess the size of the friendship payments must have been big enough.

It's as if McQuaid knows everyone knows how corrupt he is and just goes about his business. No hiding it. No obfuscation. Just in your face corruption.

I think this is what's been so frustrating for me. The sport's been hijacked and they barely even try to hide the fact that they've done it. I can understand in a privately owned, self-contained "league" like the NBA or NFL, but this set-up is not like those.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
dolophonic said:
SSDD !

Its a joke. Plus he tried to taint Riis.
Just goes to show that you are either "In" the club or outside...."

The most amusing part of that being, Does Paddy think he's reminding us about Riis? The only reason he can even be called out on it is due to Riis' own admission. Thanks for the great insight, Pat. He's a real Sherlock Holmes, he is.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Granville57 said:
The most amusing part of that being, Does Paddy think he's reminding us about Riis? The only reason he can even be called out on it is due to Riis' own admission. Thanks for the great insight, Pat. He's a real Sherlock Holmes, he is.

nah he is having a dig! he was having a dig at Riis while promoting TeamLAdoperTwek;)

hijacked?

BotanyBay said:
I think this is what's been so frustrating for me. The sport's been hijacked and they barely even try to hide the fact that they've done it. I can understand in a privately owned, self-contained "league" like the NBA or NFL, but this set-up is not like those.

I think you're hearkening back to the good old days of cycling that never were.

I suspect that rider health has continued to improve and that the advantages of doping have been progressively diminished.

And you can always start a new league. If cycling's been hijacked, the general public doesn't care. The public has no "brand loyalty" to the UCI.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
MarkvW said:
I think you're hearkening back to the good old days of cycling that never were.

I suspect that rider health has continued to improve and that the advantages of doping have been progressively diminished.

And you can always start a new league. If cycling's been hijacked, the general public doesn't care. The public has no "brand loyalty" to the UCI.

The UCI used to be an organization that was merely inept and out of touch with cycling. They made the "rules of the sport" but did little to regulate how teams existed or were organized. And I don;t know how they transitioned from that to what we now have today. I must have missed a lot of dirty deals.

I think that (at least in the USA) there's some kind of legal monopoly on the organization of cycling-based racing activity, and that makes the UCI the legaly entitled entity by default. Not sure if this is just in regards to the Olympic track or not. I remember back in the 1980's USAC's legal battles with organizations such as OBRA, but it seems that small organizations (like in Colorado) these orgs are pretty much left alone. I know that Norba ended up in the control of the USCF through a process that started with the USCF beginning to try and assert control. They ended up "buying" it from the 1st owners, but they could have chosen to "take" Norba through legal methods and just make Norba go away.

the funiest is, "those were other times, oh, the golden 80's", listen Pat, when Valverde turned pro in 2002 and 2003 with Kelme, they were equally other times for cycling.

Can't believe how hipocrit Pat can be: hope he attends the presentation of GEOX too :D