• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

McQuaid: No Contador verdict until 2011

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Master50 said:
Hardly a major prediction. No Spanish hearing date is set and the court of arbitration could take months if the UCI wanted to appeal a decision made by Spain.
Saying this won't end before next year is in my mind obvious. Even if cleared I doubt Alberto will race before Paris Nice.

Is the CYCLINGNEWS more reliable than the MARCA? The latter contradicts the former: [McQuaid] comentó que "habrá una decisión antes de fin de año" (McQuaid commented that "there will be a decision before the end of the year")
http://www.marca.com/2010/12/13/ciclismo/1292234889.html

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
Why not? Look at JV's recently "veiled" criticism of Pat's actions in regards to ProTeam licenses. Team CEOs are obviously very concerned with how Pat is wielding his power over licenses. If Pat were to "drop a hint" to a few riders (and perhaps a friendly financial backer), you could see the development of a new team happen very quickly, and a liability to the sport go away very quickly. What makes you think that Pat wasn't giving AS's new backers a "sneak peek" at things to come?

I'd say that for Riis to end up with a dope-guilty Contador and the loss of the rest of his team smells of a political tom-foolery. Riis was just shown the door (in a polite way).
It all seems to wrap up that way at the moment. Things are interesting no doubt.

I get the feeling that McNugget is going to be looking for something new after the "USA Fed. Investigation" concludes.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
It does seem McQuaid wants to hang AC.
Two hints:

1. "this story of the contaminated meat"

2. The critical, almost ironic, way in which he quacks about doping in Spain: "In Spain, they say there aren't problems"
In fact, the Galgo-case is non of Pat's business, and he shouldn't express his opinion about it.
His intention seems to be to put pressure on the RFEC to sanction AC.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
sniper said:
It does seem McQuaid wants to hang AC.
Two hints:

1. "this story of the contaminated meat"

2. The critical, almost ironic, way in which he quacks about doping in Spain: "In Spain, they say there aren't problems"
In fact, the Galgo-case is non of Pat's business, and he shouldn't express his opinion about it.
His intention seems to be to put pressure on the RFEC to sanction AC.

Just curious, I wonder if McQuaid tipped-off the Schlecks to AC's plight, allowing them to quickly abandon ship and conveniently planting a poison-pill (Contador) on Riis' dinner platter. That would explain the delay in announcing his positive AND the decision to keep Riis out of the loop until the press conference. Things that make you go hmmm.

images

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
Just curious, I wonder if McQuaid tipped-off the Schlecks to AC's plight, allowing them to quickly abandon ship and conveniently planting a poison-pill (Contador) on Riis' dinner platter. That would explain the delay in announcing his positive AND the decision to keep Riis out of the loop until the press conference. Things that make you go hmmm.

I like the scenario. speculative, but suspensive, and by all means plausible.
I'm starting to believe.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Think of it this way, it's win-win for McQuaid. If AC's case sinks the ship that carries the Schlecks, he loses his future Champion. McQuaid needed to send a lifeboat, so he did. Now Andy has the world's #1 team behind him, he's young, blonde, speaks English, ain't too ugly to look at, is well-liked by fans, etc. All he needs to do is get Andy take his brother 'Fredo "fishing" (as he's got that Puerto history).

fredo.jpg

Riis? He's got what he wanted: The TDF crown-holder:
floyd.jpg

BotanyBay said:

I wouldn't go that far, since the Schleck Bros. had already announced their departure "before" the Tour. although what makes me go hmmm is how McQuaid is certain of the time frame needed to get the AC case resolved-which only indicates clearly their intentions to drag the case to the CAS all the way.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
hfer07 said:
BotanyBay said:

I wouldn't go that far, since the Schleck Bros. had already announced their departure "before" the Tour. although what makes me go hmmm is how McQuaid is certain of the time frame needed to get the AC case resolved-which only indicates clearly their intentions to drag the case to the CAS all the way.
Did they really indicate that they'd be leaving before the Tour began? I seem to remember it was just before the Vuelta (when Riis sent Andy home for drinking a beer)

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
Think of it this way, it's win-win for McQuaid. If AC's case sinks the ship that carries the Schlecks, he loses his future Champion. McQuaid needed to send a lifeboat, so he did. Now Andy has the world's #1 team behind him, he's young, blonde, speaks English, ain't too ugly to look at, is well-liked by fans, etc. All he needs to do is get Andy take his brother 'Fredo "fishing" (as he's got that Puerto history).

fredo.jpg

:D

The scenario is gaining depth.

Indeed, I'm not sure if Pat had been counting with the re-appearance of Fuentes. Bad news indeed for Frankie.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
BotanyBay said:

images

If that makes you go hmmmm then this is "gona make you sweat"! I think you may be on to something. Now ...."Everybody dance now".

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Glenn_Wilson said:
If that makes you go hmmmm then this is "gona make you sweat"! I think you may be on to something. Now ...."Everybody dance now".

The day that Riis sent Andy packing is probably the day that he heard about AC's positive test (through the grapevine). Bjarne was prolly feeling a bit "left-out" upon figuring it out:

musical-chairs.jpg

Would this be worthy of a new thread?

May 11, 2009
Visit site
"Pat McQuaid has said that a verdict in the Alberto Contador case will not be reached before the end of the year."

How come it takes 6 months to come to a verdict? This is not fair to riders, teams, and sponsors with the negative publicity.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
avanti said:
"Pat McQuaid has said that a verdict in the Alberto Contador case will not be reached before the end of the year."

How come it takes 6 months to come to a verdict? This is not fair to riders, teams, and sponsors with the negative publicity.

Contador is in no hurry, he wouldn't race again until March anyway, the longer it goes on for him the more likely it is that he will get a slap on the wrist with a wet bus ticket.

It's all part of the plan.

And, to whomever asked. Yes it was announced before the tour that the Schlecks were going.

Moose McKnuckles said:
I anticipate a stern wave of the finger and a ban from all competition during the month of January 2011 is coming to Contador.

The UCI is truly merciless.

Do you think they will postpone his pay until February?

Double ouch.

Better yet, maybe Aldirto can set up a charity for victims of tainted beef.

Dave.

TRENDING THREADS