• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Michelins: Where are they made?

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
We had this discussion on VN some months ago but I'm curious to get some specific info here.

Does anyone know the exact recent history with Michelin and their place of manufacturing?
I've been told that they moved their production from France to Thailand, but the Thai website says nothing about bicycle tires, specifically, being made there.
http://www.michelin.co.th/then/Home/About-Michelin/Michelin-Local/Michelin-in-Local

A few years ago I fell in love with the Krylions. Only one flat since. I've seen that others on here are quite fond of them too.
I also want to try the Pro Race 3.

Apparently the French-made tires had "Made in France" on the sidewalls (I never noticed) and that the overseas ones don't say anything about where they are made (my current ones certainly don't).

I've also heard mixed reports about durabiltiy, etc. since the switch. I simply don't remember if my previous tires were "Made in France" or not.

My main questions:

1) Where are they made?
2) Does anyone have any experience with both?
3) When the switch?
4) Why? (Although, sadly, I think I know the answer to this one already)
5) Is it for all models?
6) Any noticeable differences?

Thanks.

(Sorry for so many questions!)

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Probably made in China but I have seen some made in Thailand which is where the rubber trees grow,

They are generaly good tyres never let me down over many years I switched to Michelin after Dunlop stoped making bike tyres them 35 years ago

Still useing pro race 3 ,

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
In my experience, Krylions are more durable than Pro Race 3s. I blew through my last set of Pro Race 3s pretty quickly and the casing had a number of substantial cuts in it, both front and rear. I was pretty disappointed, especially after my previous experience with the Pro Race 2s.

I have since switched to Continential GP4000S tires and have been very impressed. They are made in Germany, roll very quickly, corner well, and appear to be more cut resistant than the PR3s. They are sort of like everything I liked about the Pro Races without any of the drawbacks, but feel even a bit faster to me.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Let me try this again...

Sorry guys, I seem to have mucked this one up a bit.
What I was really asking about was the difference between the "Made in France" tyres and those made elsewhere.

Sorry for any confusion. :eek:

To clarify:
Granville57 said:
My main questions:

1) Where are they made?
2) Does anyone have any experience with both? ("Made in France vs Other)
3) When the switch? (in factory location)
4) Why? (Although, sadly, I think I know the answer to this one already)
5) Is it for all models? (Are any Michelins still made in France?)
6) Any noticeable differences? ("Made in France vs Other)

I'm hoping some shop owners will chime in here.

TRENDING THREADS