• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mike Plant, who is he and what are his motives?

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Plant said he has heard the conspiracy theories about the UCI’s complicity in the Armstrong case but hasn’t seen any evidence of it. “The UCI is a leader (in anti-doping),” he said. “We’re doing more than anyone else out there.”

http://bicycling.com/blogs/boulderr...leadership-but-wants-a-return-to-credibility/

Another opportunist?

Basic info on the UCI site...

http://www.uci.ch/templates/UCI/UCI1/layout.asp?MenuId=MTU4MTA&LangId=1

Mike PLANT

Elected at the UCI in 2009

USA - United States of America

Date of birth
17 April 1959

Marital status
Married, 3 children.

Language
English

Career
President of Medalist Sports (1988- 1995) ; President of Goodwill Games and Vice President of events for Turner Sports (1995-2002) ; Executive Vice President of Turner Sports (2002-2003) ; Braves' Executive Vice President of Business Operations (2003-...).

Sporting career
Member of the 1980 U.S. Olympic Speed Skating team. Six time member of the U.S. World Championship speed skating teams.

Career in sports administration
Board of Directors and Executive Committee (1984-1992) of the U.S. Olympic Committee ; Associate Executive Director of the U.S. Cycling Federation (1986-1988) ; Executive Director of the Canoe and Kayak Team (1985-1986) ; President of USA Cycling (1995-2002) ; Board of Directors of the U.S. Olympic Committee (2004-2010).

Member of the UCI
Member of the Management Committee (1997-2004) (2009-…).

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Bannockburn said:
Discuss. This needs its own...dossier.

I sure want the full text of that dossier. McQuaid tried to stop a discussion of its merits. That's reason enough to want it out in the open. Where is Transparency International, Assange and Snowden when you need them?

He who has nothing to hide, hides nothing. I want that dossier, NOW!

May 26, 2010
Visit site
hektoren said:
I sure want the full text of that dossier. McQuaid tried to stop a discussion of its merits. That's reason enough to want it out in the open. Where is Transparency International, Assange and Snowden when you need them?

He who has nothing to hide, hides nothing. I want that dossier, NOW!

Where are Sky the kings of transparency in all this? Why is Brailsford not upset about the lack of transparency at UCI and how the sport is run. I mean if the sport is not run above board how can he expect his clean team to win anything?:rolleyes:

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Where are Sky the kings of transparency in all this? Why is Brailsford not upset about the lack of transparency at UCI and how the sport is run. I mean if the sport is not run above board how can he expect his clean team to win anything?:rolleyes:

Don't make this into yet another Sky-thread, please.

I have to say I don't get a good feeling about Plant, from all that I've read about him since he surfaced [in the larger public light] 10 minutes ago.

I know this thread is particularly about him, but can I ask, what criteria is needed to run for UCI presidency?

Can Greg Lemond, Sylvia Schenk and others of that calibre run for President? Don't want to take this off-topic.

Bannockburn said:
Discuss. This needs its own...dossier.

Everything you need to know about Mike Plant and competitive cycling is in the link below. This goes back years and years now but is an excellent primer.

http://www.sandcreeksports.com/documents/usa_cyclings_history_of_crooked_elections.pdf

Plant is in tight with Steve Johnson, Thom Wiesel, Och and the rest of the dopers that developed and sold the Armstrong fraud at USAC. He's definitely Thom Wiesel's proxy on the UCI's management committee and a long time UCI aparatchik.

It is reasonable to believe the UCI's Management committee was fully briefed on the Armstrong fraud early into making the myth because of Plant's long time participation on the committee.

Someone needs to interview Les Earnest, Mark Estes and Tim Quigley and get their views. They'll have valuable insights into the system.