• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Milan San Remo route unchanged

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/milan-san-remo-2015-route-confirmed-139946

“As of today, the 2015 course of La Classicissima will be the same as 2014,” race director, Mauro Vegni told Elleradio. “In the next weeks we will have time to confirm the details, but all the news that popped up regarding the changes is not true.”

The Pompeiana is unsafe due to issues with the road quality and landslides and La Manie has similar problems. Which means Degenkolb, Cav, Kristoff, Sagan and Cancellara have to be the favourites.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
No Pompeina, slightly disappointed by that. Would have liked to see how that race played out. But okay with it.

Not even la Manie though! :mad: Don't like that. Gonna be a sure fire sprint fest.

Happy they ditched Pompeina, but I maintain 8 man teams can fairly easily control the action for a bunch sprint, especially without something in the middle of the race which can tire the masses of support riders. Now I hope for tough conditions without snow or ice.

53cc9542a8a3a.image.jpg
'

Love the way he carries the helmet.

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
jaylew said:
Lame. No la Manie or Pompeiana.

Le Manie was great. It really hurts at the end of the day. Pompaina would COMPLETELY exclude any kind of sprinter, even tough sprinters like Kristoff or Degenkolb from the win. That should not be the aim of Milano - San Remo.

Le Manie + via Roma would be great. Back to the classic via Roma ( via Roma is the heart of San Remo + route after Poggio until via Roma is way better than the other options).

EDIT: Cipressa + Pompeiana + Poggio would be too much. Cipressa + Pompeiana is worth a try. Harder route than now, but more time to reorganise for the fast men. And the action starts earlier.

While it's not necessary a sprinters' classic, it's ludicrous to say its aim is "to rule out all sprinters".

This being said, it would be stupid to drop the Poggio in favour of the Pompeiana, as someone proposed. Milan-San Remo needs the Poggio.

Sylvester said:
While it's not necessary a sprinters' classic, it's ludicrous to say its aim is "to rule out all sprinters".

This being said, it would be stupid to drop the Poggio in favour of the Pompeiana, as someone proposed. Milan-San Remo needs the Poggio.

They could perhaps drop Cipressa in favour of Pompeiana. The latter climb is a bit harder and the distance between Pompeiana and Poggio is a couple of kms shorter than the distance between Cipressa and Poggio. In addition Pompeiana has some steeper sections close to the top which makes it easier to attack.

La Manie + Pompeiana + Poggio would be have been a interesting profile.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Dr. Juice said:
Le Manie was great. It really hurts at the end of the day. Pompaina would COMPLETELY exclude any kind of sprinter, even tough sprinters like Kristoff or Degenkolb from the win. That should not be the aim of Milano - San Remo.

Le Manie + via Roma would be great. Back to the classic via Roma ( via Roma is the heart of San Remo + route after Poggio until via Roma is way better than the other options).

EDIT: Cipressa + Pompeiana + Poggio would be too much. Cipressa + Pompeiana is worth a try. Harder route than now, but more time to reorganise for the fast men. And the action starts earlier.

I also like Le Manie, it makes the day harder and makes the classic Cipressa + Pioggio even better, it gives attackers a good chance and the race could still end with a bunch sprint.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
MatParker117 said:
Variety is the spice of life if you don't like MSR or Gent, watch Liege or Lombardia.

I will, but MSR with La Manie is a better race. Adds enough difficulty to cancel out the purest of sprinters and give the attackers a little more chance, but not enough to get rid of all the sprinters completely (these sprinters being guys like Sagan, Degenkolb, probably Kristoff).

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
King Of The Wolds said:
It didn't in 2009.

Every year is different and brings it's own independent outcomes. Don't forget about 2011 and 2012 (was it cut due to weather in 2013? Can't remember).

Overall I'd say Le Manie adds some good action to the later parts of the race.

MatParker117 said:
Variety is the spice of life if you don't like MSR or Gent, watch Liege or Lombardia.

Wha? This is a debate about MSR, not between MSR and some other races. I can't speak to Afrank's interests, but for me, if I didn't like MSR I would watch those other races (and I will anyway), but I do like MSR, I just like it better with something like La Manie. I love that MSR has had a good balance between sprinters, small groups and solo escapees challenging for the win. It's the 'spice of life' that you speak of within a single race. With the Pompeiana, I think it would have been too hard or predictable (no chance of a sprint), without the Manie I'm worried it might be too far in the other direction (more chance of a sprint than not). It seems to me like you're taking a simplified (not to mention incorrect) premise that MSR is a sprinters' race and if you don't like a sprint go watch something else, but I don't think that's the case at all. The race itself can be many things, and has been.

TRENDING THREADS