• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Millionaires' Club - Are there more than 25 cyclists?

How many in today's peloton are guaranteed 1,000,000 euros in their salary for 2015.

My guess:

More than 3M
Contador
Boonen
Cavendish
Froome
Cancellera
Nibali
Wiggins
Sagan
Quintana
Valverde
Kittel
Greipel
Rodriguez
Gilbert
Kristoff
Gerrans

1-3M
Costa
T. Martin
D. Martin
Kwiatkowski
Stybar
Trepsta
Van Marcke
Van Garderen
Matthews
Degenkolb
Porte
Uran
Aru
Van Den Broeck
Kreuziger

700K - 1M
Van Avermaet
Mollema
Pinot
Bardet
Peroud
Gallopin
Talansky
Dumoulin
Caruso
Nieve
Thomas
Majka
Frank
Kelderman
Demare
EBH
Bouhani
Dennis
Intrauxi
Izaguirre
Pozzovivo
Guardini
Vivianni
Nizzolo
Betancur
Meersman
Renshaw
Moreno
Swift
Hesjedal
Spilak
Rolland
Fuglsang
Vanendert

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Why does it matter? Who cares how much they make. Compare to other sports, they are all underpaid.

That being said, I know one thing. Luca Paolini deserves a pay raise ... :cool:

20154894-259994-664x440.jpeg

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
You have Etixx-QS riders throughout the list. Disproportionately compared to the other teams. Do you think that many rides on EQS are making that much money?

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I don't think there are that many cyclists getting paid over 3mil currently.

Contador
Boonen
Cavendish
Froome
Cancellera
Nibali
Wiggins
Sagan
Quintana
Valverde
Kittel
Greipel
Rodriguez
Gilbert
Kristoff
Gerrans

Out of this list the only one I'd be confident is actually over 3mil is Nibali. Contador was on 2.8mil last year (though he got a ton more from personal sponsors) but he could be back over 3 again after doing well in the Vuelta. Froome and Cav probably are, Canc too but imo that's about it. No way can Movistar afford 3mil for a single rider let alone both Quintana and Valverde. I'm guessing Sagan gets paid less than Contador so that puts him below. No chance Gerrans is. Gilbert was on exactly 3 mil after his storming 2011 season, i don't know if it's the same contract now or if theres a new one (if its new then its got to be lower.) Very doubtfull about Greipel. Unsure on Kittel/Jrod&Kristoff tho I'm thinking Kristoff doesn't make the cut and ehhh not sure about jrod/kittel.

Edit: Forgot wiggins and boonen. Wiggins renegiotated for a shortened 2015 season so he'll be less. Boonen maybe.

deValtos said:
I don't think there are that many cyclists getting paid over 3mil currently.

Contador
Boonen
Cavendish
Froome
Cancellera
Nibali
Wiggins
Sagan
Quintana
Valverde
Kittel
Greipel
Rodriguez
Gilbert
Kristoff
Gerrans

Out of this list the only one I'd be confident is actually over 3mil is Nibali. Contador was on 2.8mil last year (though he got a ton more from personal sponsors) but he could be back over 3 again after doing well in the Vuelta. Froome and Cav probably are, Canc too but imo that's about it. No way can Movistar afford 3mil for a single rider let alone both Quintana and Valverde. I'm guessing Sagan gets paid less than Contador so that puts him below. No chance Gerrans is. Gilbert was on exactly 3 mil after his storming 2011 season, i don't know if it's the same contract now or if theres a new one (if its new then its got to be lower.) Very doubtfull about Greipel. Unsure on Kittel/Jrod&Kristoff tho I'm thinking Kristoff doesn't make the cut and ehhh not sure about jrod/kittel.

Edit: Forgot wiggins and boonen. Wiggins renegiotated for a shortened 2015 season so he'll be less. Boonen maybe.

I don't understand why somebody in the right state of mind would pay this rider this amount of money. I am not sure why did you put him in this list?

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
I don't understand why somebody in the right state of mind would pay this rider this amount of money. I am not sure why did you put him in this list?

That's the list the topic starter used. ;)

As to Sagan on a reported 4mil, blimey he's doing well for himself if that's true. Highest paid rider along with Nibali then.

Also as Arnout points out personal sponors will change some of the riders "wages" drastically. e.g Contador moves to the top of the list if you factor those in.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Sagan's contract was estimated to be worth 4M euro per year, for 3 years. Tinkov obviously valuing non-victory top 10 placings very highly

Escarabajo said:
[quote="

Maybe because last year he rode very well, scored valuable WT points, is the main leader of OGE and is currently one of Australia's best 3 riders.
But your'e right, there's no way he's paid 3 million.