• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mini pump: Lezyne, Quicker Pro, or Topeak Micro Rocket?

I'm trying to decide on a mini pump and I'm hoping someone here has some experience with at least one if not more of these models:

1) Lezyne Carbon Road Drive (or even the regular CNC-machined aluminum Road Drive)
2) Topeak Master Blaster Micro Rocket CBT Carbon Fiber (this is the one with the T-handle
3) Quicker Pro

I'm mostly considering the first two. It seems that the Lezyne is probably the highest quality of these three, and I like the idea of having a hose to prevent any chance of damaging the inner tube valve stem. But I also like the idea of having a T-handle for when you get up into the higher pressures, which the Topeak has.

Ideally, I would like to carry the pump in the bike frame's seat tube, which I believe is possible with the Topeak, but I'm not sure about the Lezyne. I will probably still carry a CO2 cartridge most of the time, but want a mini pump for that 2nd or 3rd flat. :(

Thanks in advance for any feedback or ideas!

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
Hi. I have the Lezyne Road Drive. It's very good. The hose is a great idea to prevent breaking the tube valve. I used the pump on the weekend to help a friend with a flat and it worked very well. It did get hot but was relatively easy to pump to 100psi or thereabouts. I have the large size and think the medium would require a fair bit more effort to get to 100psi. The Lezyne came with a metal bracket to attach it to the water bottle mounts. I hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply, biker jk! This is what I'm looking for, first hand experiences...especially when pumping up to 100+psi. So, in your opinion, while pumping near the 90-100psi range, the effort required to push on the pump doesn't put "permanent indentations" in your hand? In other words, do you think you could pump up a tire twice without it hurting your hand?

Here's another one that I just discovered, and it seems to be well built:

http://www.bikesweets.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=73&Click=418

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
I have a Topeak Roadmorph on anoher bike which has the fold out foot. I didn't find it any harder to pump to 90-100psi with the Lezyne than with the Topeak, which was a pleasant surprise. I think you could pump two tyres with the Lezyne without much stress. I'd steer clear of pumps with short barrels and no hose. Good luck.

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
I have a Topeak Microrocket. It's carbon, but doesn't have the T handle. I like it alot. Super compact and light, pumps well. Is said to go up to 160psi, but I'm not pumping up track tires, so no idea if it really does. However, it easily goes to 120 and beyond.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I have a Lezyne Pressure Drive medium and love it. You can get to around 100psi with some effort. I don't know how I got along with a mini pump without a hose for so long.