• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Miscellaneous mysteries of pro cycling

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Flies

On Saturday morning, I was labouring up a small lump in the road when a large bluebottle shot straight down my throat and into my gullet where it buzzed annoyingly until I managed to hawk it back up.

My question is, does this ever happen to the pros? Do they have a technique for avoiding airborne hazards? And has anyone ever lost a race because they were left coughing and spluttering due to accidently swallowing insect life while their rivals took the opportunity to attack?

Captain_Cavman said:
On Saturday morning, I was labouring up a small lump in the road when a large bluebottle shot straight down my throat and into my gullet where it buzzed annoyingly until I managed to hawk it back up.

My question is, does this ever happen to the pros? Do they have a technique for avoiding airborne hazards? And has anyone ever lost a race because they were left coughing and spluttering due to accidently swallowing insect life while their rivals took the opportunity to attack?

I freely admit that I have nothing useful to contribute to this thread, but I feel that the bold text deserves special acknowledgment.

Chapeau, good captain!