• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Misrepresentation?

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
In the UK, "Misrepresentation" is a breach of contract law. I would also guess that it would be a breach of charity law.

I noticed on LA's facebook frontpage that he decsribes himself as "7-time Tour de France winner, full time cancer fighter - LIVESTRONG!". Once UCI has ratified the USADA decision, would statements that associate his claim to be a 7-time TdF winner with the Livestrong Foundation (ie could be regarded as soliciting funds) legally be misrepresentation and leave him/Livestrong open to legal challenge?

I notice that the only mentions of LA that I can find in Livestrong.org are the statement at the bottom of each page saying that Livestrong is the registered name of the Lance Armstong Foundation, and a short page, two links deep, on 'Lance's story'. (There's probably more stuff on blog pages etc, but certainly nothing else that immediately associates the Foundation with LA.)

Will LA have to stop making the 7-time TdF winner claim, or sever his links with the Foundation once the hammer falls?

PS started a separate thread as this is a specific question.