• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Moderators

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Uh-oh, looks like the rule Nazis have made an appearance. Rule Nazis on forums are like busy bodies in a home owners association who live to measure the length of the grass on other people's lawns so they can fine them. One of the biggest problems with forums are moderators who get drunk with power.

All they need here is moderation with a very light touch. Threads that are near dupes need to be combined to reduce clutter. Thread hijacking needs to be limited. Obvious trolls and troll posts need to be deleted. And a mod needs to occasionally step in to tell people to cool it when arguments get personal or out of hand. That is it.

It is also very rich that Jackhammer is complaining. He continually picks fights with other members. He has PMed multiple people asking them to come to Ohio so he can fight them. He then acts shocked when those people tell him what they think of him. I won't even get into Amster--oops--whose entire posting history consists of complaints that the community is not kissing the ground that Armstrong and badmouthing those who are not true believers.

As for a "cafe" forum, I am all for it, and I think I was the one who suggested it a while back There are threads that do not fit into the road racing forum and they quickly get pushed off the first page. For example, my thread asking people if they have been hit by a car would be a candidate for a cafe.

Also, Amster's plea for small sigs and sigs that do not delve into religion or politics is a good one. Yes, BigBoat's giant sig is annoying. I would add a personal peeve of mine on forums like this, and that is images in sigs. Go to a forum about gaming or cars and every douche on the forum feels the need for a giant graphical sig, which really detracts from what is essentially a text communication medium.

A

Anonymous

guess that makes you a rule nazi then.. :D

you agree about modding being housekeeping, and not censorship, new sections, signatures and all sorts..

as for graphical sigs thing, thankfully there arnt any here, i hate them..
although i do confess, on a couple of music forums i do use one to promote if i have any gigs coming up (promoting events rather than m own personal ones).. but i do make them small and tasteful..

nb: im am rather pleased that i havnt been named and shamed as a troublemaker.. i just talk rubbish generally, but most of it harmless.. :D

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Uh-oh, looks like the rule Nazis have made an appearance. Rule Nazis on forums are like busy bodies in a home owners association who live to measure the length of the grass on other people's lawns so they can fine them. One of the biggest problems with forums are moderators who get drunk with power.

Unnecessarily emotive language. This place appears to have rules that are not enforced. There's no point in having them if you don't enforce them. Agree about the potential issue of power-crazed mods. That's why you choose them as carefully as possible and that's why one or more admins also need to keep an eye on the place.

BroDeal said:
All they need here is moderation with a very light touch. Threads that are near dupes need to be combined to reduce clutter. Thread hijacking needs to be limited. Obvious trolls and troll posts need to be deleted. And a mod needs to occasionally step in to tell people to cool it when arguments get personal or out of hand. That is it.

Depends how you define a light or other touch. Certainly, there are far too many almost identical threads. New duplicates should be locked with a link to the existing thread. Telling people to 'cool it' when arguments get personal or out of hand is not enough. There need to be sanctions, and these need to be applied, no matter how 'senior' the poster may be. The 'self-policing' internet forum is a myth, particularly so when emotive and controversial subjects are the order of the day, as they quite clearly are here.

BroDeal said:
It is also very rich that Jackhammer is complaining. He continually picks fights with other members. He has PMed multiple people asking them to come to Ohio so he can fight them. He then acts shocked when those people tell him what they think of him. I won't even get into Amster--oops--whose entire posting history consists of complaints that the community is not kissing the ground that Armstrong and badmouthing those who are not true believers.

I must be naive, because I'm actually shocked at your blatant dishonesty and your juvenile hyperbole. No one is asking you or your small handful of cronies on this board to worship LA. I could care less if you share my opinion, I'm not trying to convert anyone. Any 'badmouthing' I might have done was in response to the small handful who have been literally poisoning this forum with pure hatred in topic after topic. This poisoning should not have been allowed to the extent that we have seen, and let's not pretend that I am the only one to be offended by the posting style and habits of this group. I object to forum bullying wherever I find it, and I say so. With suitable moderation, this should have been a non-issue.

BroDeal said:
As for a "cafe" forum, I am all for it, and I think I was the one who suggested it a while back There are threads that do not fit into the road racing forum and they quickly get pushed off the first page. For example, my thread asking people if they have been hit by a car would be a candidate for a cafe.

Forum owners/admins need to decide how broad the forum should be. I have been a member of numerous forums that started out specifically devoted to, say, football or music. As they grew, members wanted to be able to express themselves on other issues amongst the 'friends' they had made on that forum and, in the course of time, additional forums were added that had nothing to do with either football or music. This is not a must, just an option depending on the development and evolution of the forum.

BroDeal said:
Also, Amster's plea for small sigs and sigs that do not delve into religion or politics is a good one. Yes, BigBoat's giant sig is annoying. I would add a personal peeve of mine on forums like this, and that is images in sigs. Go to a forum about gaming or cars and every douche on the forum feels the need for a giant graphical sig, which really detracts from what is essentially a text communication medium.

Finally, we agree. ;)

Amsterhammer said:
Unnecessarily emotive language.

That is your problem. You have a thin skin. "Unnecessarily emotive language"? Where? Rule nazi is a common term for this sort of subject. Are we supposed to all talk like brits relaxing in a walnut panelled men's club, smoking cigars, and sipping brandy?

"I say, my good man, I really do not agree."

"Indeed?"

"Indeed. I thought the potato was a tad on the hot side."

"I only found it warm. Mind you, after serving the Queen in India, I am used to hot food."

"Indeed?"

"Indeed."

A

Anonymous

ok.. lets try and keep this actually interesting discussion, and one that one the whole we all agree with apart from the aportioning of blame as to who or who isnt argumentative on some sort of track without nitpicking on each other.. :D

the coffee shop option i think is needed.. there are countless posts in the road forum, the afortmentioned have you been hit by a car thread, the cycling books thread, the cycling films thread, the places to ride thread, do you carry a gun while riding, and a whole host of others that do not belong in road, but are interesting discussions.. im not suggesting off-cycling discussions there are other forums for that, but cycling discussions that do not fit a particular discipline..

seems to me at the moment more space is allocated on the forum to "forum feedback" and "website" feedback than to road cycling..

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
That is your problem. You have a thin skin. "Unnecessarily emotive language"? Where? Rule nazi is a common term for this sort of subject. Are we supposed to all talk like brits relaxing in a walnut panelled men's club, smoking cigars, and sipping brandy?

"I say, my good man, I really do not agree."

"Indeed?"

"Indeed. I thought the potato was a tad on the hot side."

"I only found it warm. Mind you, after serving the Queen in India, I am used to hot food."

"Indeed?"

"Indeed."

All you can find to respond to from my quite detailed post are three words, which you feel called upon to ridicule? You do disappoint me.

A

Anonymous

brodeal said:
that is your problem. You have a thin skin. "unnecessarily emotive language"? Where? Rule nazi is a common term for this sort of subject. Are we supposed to all talk like brits relaxing in a walnut panelled men's club, smoking cigars, and sipping brandy?

"i say, my good man, i really do not agree."

"indeed?"

"indeed. I thought the potato was a tad on the hot side."

"i only found it warm. Mind you, after serving the queen in india, i am used to hot food."

"indeed?"

"indeed."

H i l a r i o u s!!!!!!!

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Those of you asking for more moderation, quite simply have far too much time on your hands and should go ride your bike more. If you're getting stressed out by an internet forum...well, you've got some serious social issues to contend with. Good luck.

Someone go to the "Community" section at on the top menu bar when you're logged in, and create a "Cafe" social group. Whomever starts it can have the option of moderating it too.

A

Anonymous

RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Those of you asking for more moderation, quite simply have far too much time on your hands and should go ride your bike more. If you're getting stressed out by an internet forum...well, you've got some serious social issues to contend with. Good luck.

Someone go to the "Community" section at on the top menu bar when you're logged in, and create a "Cafe" social group. Whomever starts it can have the option of moderating it too.

im not stressed... yes i dont get out on the bike as much as id like, but im certainly not stressed up by an internet forum and i dont have social issues.. :D although yes i do have a little too much time on my hands, but thats got more to do with being off sick than anything..

if you dont think some form of moderation, or HOUSEKEEPING as i call it, then fine, i dont think all sorts of things from time to time.. i personally think some sort of tidying up is required.. but there ya go..

it is actually in a thread created by CN staff that they are looking for ideas for extra sections etc.. ;)

Anyway.. its a lovely day, i might go out on the bike .. :D