• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

'Moment of the Year'

May 15, 2009
Visit site
In 3rd place for this Cyclingnews reader poll was 'Lance Armstrong drops Contador on the windy stage to La Grande-Motte in the Tour de France'

Am I the only one who really hates how cyclingnews worded this?

It was a stage I really enjoyed - but Armstrong cannot get the credit for it. That split was all about Columbia, they hit the front at the right time to capitalise on the winds to split the peloton, and then worked the hardest to ensure it lasted. They deserve the credit, not Armstrong just because he was there while Contador was not.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
sum_of_marc said:
in 3rd place for this cyclingnews reader poll was 'lance armstrong drops contador on the windy stage to la grande-motte in the tour de france'

am i the only one who really hates how cyclingnews worded this?

It was a stage i really enjoyed - but armstrong cannot get the credit for it. That split was all about columbia, they hit the front at the right time to capitalise on the winds to split the peloton, and then worked the hardest to ensure it lasted. They deserve the credit, not armstrong just because he was there while contador was not.

but itz armstrong zomg he iz teh awsomz

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Sum_of_Marc said:
In 3rd place for this Cyclingnews reader poll was 'Lance Armstrong drops Contador on the windy stage to La Grande-Motte in the Tour de France'

Am I the only one who really hates how cyclingnews worded this?

It was a stage I really enjoyed - but Armstrong cannot get the credit for it. That split was all about Columbia, they hit the front at the right time to capitalise on the winds to split the peloton, and then worked the hardest to ensure it lasted. They deserve the credit, not Armstrong just because he was there while Contador was not.

I thought that to. In any case it doesn't strike me as a big moment. Seems to have gotten in there on the strenght of it involving Armstrong. Arcalis, Verbier and Le Grande Bornard we all far bigger.

Apr 30, 2009
Visit site
"Am I the only one who really hates how cyclingnews worded this?"

No! I think it is ridiculous that it was even included as a cycling moment. It would be more interesting to know if Bruyneel spoke in English or Spanish, when he supposedly radioed team members to move to the front.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Yet more Boss Hog propoganda, subtly reinforcing the message that Armstrong/Bruyneel are tactically superior to Contador. Of course if Contador hadn't ignored Bruyneel then Andy Schleck would have won the Tour but I guess getting a tip off from an old teammate is far more tactically astute than a definitive race winning attack.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
+1
to sun of marc. Unfortunately a lot of cycling journo's have their head stuck up lance's bum and are oblivious to anything bad he does. I agree that it was a big moment of the tour but the wording is bad.

At least the right moment won the poll.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, seems a stupid choice - surely a defining moment in the career of any dominant sportsperson is the moment when their aura of invicibility is shattered definitively, so Arcalis or prob Verbier would be more appropriate for LA.
Wouldn't have had that moment anywhere near my top ten, from an LA or Columbia/Cav perspective.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Personally loved the moment (columbia fan), more because, how often do you see anything make a difference to the GC on a flat stage, and when one team pulls it off...just awesome. Armstrong in there also, who cares?

*better name maybe columbia drops peloton...many others, Armstrong didn't drop anyone.