• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Montepaschi Strade Bianche replays

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
thirteen said:
oops! thank you for the warning :eek:

i'm afraid my "spanish," such as it is, is primarily south american based anyways (Mexico, Venezuela, etc.)... so what exactly does the Basque language consist of then?

off to see if i can find this on Eurosport 2 schedule. will report back if i have success.

Hey, no worries :)

Just be warned, should you be in Spain and/or Basque region, it's pretty vital you shouldn't mix the two up, or call a person from the Basque region Spanish.

As Libertine says (and a person much more informed on the Basques than me), it's a language unto itself. I'm fairly proficient when it comes to Spanish (I take it alongside Economics at Uni), Basque is like Klingon to me :)

Libertine Seguros said:
The Basque language is not related to Spanish. Or in fact, any other language on earth - not that's been proven anyway. It is a true language isolate.

Met de Versnelling said:

Just be warned, should you be in Spain and/or Basque region, it's pretty vital you shouldn't mix the two up, or call a person from the Basque region Spanish.

As Libertine says (and a person much more informed on the Basques than me), it's a language unto itself. I'm fairly proficient when it comes to Spanish (I take it alongside Economics at Uni), Basque is like Klingon to me :)
i really do appreciate my language lesson -- thank you both.

i am very sensitive to that and mortified when i f*** it up :eek:

there had been enough spanish (or so i thought) on the station when i turned to it when Hitch posted that i was thrilled o be able to understand anything.

i'm in Belgium now and flemish and i are not getting on well... before i was in Paris, the snootiest place to learn french, where everyone thought i was from Italy because of my accent (obviously, i transferred the accent from my first second language -- South American spanish -- much more curt than that spoke in Spain).

so i was so thrilled to got to go to Spain on holiday, proud that i spoke the language. until the cab driver opened his mouth and started speaking a mile a minute. this had nothing to do with the spanish i knew... it was only in bars, restaurants and the like where i didn't make a total a$$ of myself when i translated "specials" and the like to my scots boyfriend and his co-workers. (we'll ignore the fact that i started explaining it back to them in spanish, lol!)

Basque now has me intrigued and i've put it on my list of wanting to learn more :)

Met de Versnelling said:

Your in London arent you?

What uni you at?