• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Most impressive rides of all time?

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
Pantani - Oropa 99. U know the story here, chain issues, loses 30-45 seconds and goes ballistic on the chase as his rivals go full gas to take advantage of him. 15 years later, Ill admit Ive watch the finale 4-5 times in the last month.

Armstrong- Hautacam 2000- Attacks far out, drops all his rivals, bridges to different chase groups, drops them all , goes after Ochoa, incredible ride.

Contador- Verbier- With Armstrong in full bully mode, trying to intimidate Contador into working for him, taking shots at Contador for in-experience losing time in the cross winds, Contador stands up to Armstrong and shows him who is boss with a blistering attack on the Verbier.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
Talansky 2014

Contador in Fuente Dé and Schleck on the Galibier were impressive, but Talansky 2014?! Did I miss something? :confused:

All I remember him doing this year is winning a prep race because he got in a break, which was very strong and it got a bit of room because the strongest riders were looking at each other. He didn't even win the stage. I mean, how he raced was great, don't get me wrong, I really appreciate his ride, but how it constitutes one of the most impressive rides of all time is beyond me....

You have to love the guys over here who always want to impress by looking back 50 years and more in time.

I wasn't there and it wasn't live. So I won't judge.

But from what I remember, (some of) the most impressive rides I have seen were:
2008 Tour of Flanders (Stijn De Volder)
1996 Hautacam (Bjarne Riis)
1998 Paris-Roubaix (Franco Ballerini)
1999 Navalmoral (Frank Vandenbroucke)
2010 Paris-Roubaix (Fabian Cancellara)
1990 Utsonomiya WC (Dirk De Wolf)
2001 Alpe d'huez (Lance Armstrong)
1997 Alpe d'Huez (Marco Pantani)
1997 L-B-L (Michele Bartoli)
1994 Milan-San Remo (Laurent Jalabert)
2002 Angliru (Roberto Heras)
2004 state 21 Vuelta (Santiago Perez)
world hour record by Rominger (still miles ahead of the 'competition' nowadays)

Maaaaaaaarten said:
Contador in Fuente Dé and Schleck on the Galibier were impressive, but Talansky 2014?! Did I miss something? :confused:

All I remember him doing this year is winning a prep race because he got in a break, which was very strong and it got a bit of room because the strongest riders were looking at each other. He didn't even win the stage. I mean, how he raced was great, don't get me wrong, I really appreciate his ride, but how it constitutes one of the most impressive rides of all time is beyond me....

Totally agree. Might aswell have written 'JVDB 2014' instead of Talansky. Not a solo effort at all, just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
Talansky 2014

Talansky? :eek:

We're talking best rides of all times. Couldn't even finish it off and win the stage. A legendary ride has got be concluded with the stage win at least.
Talansky wouldn't have moved an inch to protect his GC position if Contador had a team.

Even Quintana in the controvertial stelvio stage would be worth of mentioning instead of him.

Echoes said:
Is it surprising that only GT rides are mentioned?

Sigh, well give us your most impressive rides.
We all understand you value one day races more and that you have to cry after all of these posts. You don't have to point it out in every post you make.

Personally I value one day races very highly as well, higher than a single stage in a stage race(most of the time), but that doesn't change the fact that there could very impressive rides in an GT.

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
Schleck 2011

Contador 2012

Talansky 2014

Talansky is a quite random choice. He was a fighter in the Tour, but Contador was by far the best in Dauphine. Other than that, he has not really done anything.

Not of all time, but from the top of my head of those I've seen live myself.

_41913454_france_416.jpg

10169010.jpg

tirreno-adriatico-2014-stage-5-alberto-contador-ta-website.jpg