• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Most impressive stage win???

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Okay, I've seen a thread for the most impressive team. How about a thread for your favorite stage win? Considering any and all factors that may be important to you. For me? Tommy V pulling off a stage win. Overiding factor on this one? Pure sentiment. He always goes on these long breaks, working his backside off and then gets reeled in. This time he did it. I must admit I'd never heard of him before his stint in yellow a few years back, but I remember well him coming around the corner, jersey unzipped, where he could finally see the time clock and realizing that he would get to keep the jersey another day. The pumped fist and relieved smile said it all that day... The look of pure joy as he realized he'd pulled one off this year said the same thing. For me it was a great stage.

e

favorite stage win had to be astarloza. euskatel animate the race so often in the mountains and yet they rarely end up with the stage wins they deserve. astarloza was well overdue for his first road race win

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
I think far and away the best stage win was Haussler. take into account the conditions, the course and how far from the line he was when he went; nothing comes close. Seeing Brice Fielleu hold off everyone at andorra was pretty cool too.

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
1. Haussler
2. Feilleu
3. Astraloza

Don't know why I'm not that impressed with Garate's win, he made the final selection and drove all the way up. Guess I just wanted Pellizotti to take the stage

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
All good picks. There was definitely some strong rides to watch.

It hadn't occured to me before this topic, but looking at it this way makes it apparent that this year's edition, really was more than just the Lance/Alberto soap opera. Despite what the media tried to make it out to be...

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
1. Haussler
2. Garate
3. Astarloza/Feillu

Just think of how amazing it is that a sprinter won a mountain stage and a guy like Garate who doesn't get much credit wins on a mythic climb that LA doesn't even have. (It also put AC in difficulty)

May 11, 2009
Visit site
I was pretty impressed with Nicki Sørensen. (I am Danish and therefore biased)

He has been a domestique all his life for CSC/Saxo Bank helping Jalabert, Tyler Hamilton, Ivan Basso, Carlos Sastre and now the Schlecks.

On the day of the stage win he was the best. Solo victory.

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
analo69 said:
I was pretty impressed with Nicki Sørensen. (I am Danish and therefore biased)

He has been a domestique all his life for CSC/Saxo Bank helping Jalabert, Tyler Hamilton, Ivan Basso, Carlos Sastre and now the Schlecks.

On the day of the stage win he was the best. Solo victory.

Agreed. Sørensens win was great, just like Arvesens win last year.

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Heinrich for sheer determination in {rappy conditions and for the show of pure emotion as he crossed the line ....just puts it into very clear perspective what a stage win means ..... pure quality.:D

Most impressive:
Team Astana, TTT. After seeing all the wrecks and gaps with so many other teams... then they ride with control and massive strength... impressive.
Personal Favorites:
Voeckler
Feillu

I was pulling for France this year. Dont know exactly why. But I was rewarded.

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
Astarloza

Voeckler

I absolutely love seeing two long time racers come through on the biggest stage of them all. Voeckler after his run in yellow a few years back to come and finally win a stage. Astarloza because what Euskatel represents in the mountains and seeing a first time winner in a mountain stage in the tour was just epic.

LargusMeans said:
Astarloza

Voeckler

I absolutely love seeing two long time racers come through on the biggest stage of them all. Voeckler after his run in yellow a few years back to come and finally win a stage. Astarloza because what Euskatel represents in the mountains and seeing a first time winner in a mountain stage in the tour was just epic.
I really felt for Astarloza too. What a personal triumph.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Cavendish is Paris.

It appeared straightforward but the fact that the rest of the teams and sprinters effectively abdicated any responsibility to contest on the great stage is indicative of his awesome speed.