• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Motorized bikes: technical & theoretical

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Hawkwood said:
In addition Vivax does not recommend fitting its motor to a normal carbon frame as the seat-tube won't be stong enough, it does offer its own strengthened kevlar carbon frame though. ...
which reminds me, the guru in the gazzetta spoke of vivax assist type of devices (so possibly a different brand) that can be retrofitted to regular carbon fibre road bikes.
It's mentioned here:
http://road.cc/content/tech-news/177384-mechanical-doping-forget-concealed-motors-electromagnetic-powered-wheels

btw, some interesting comments below that piece, such as this one:
A motor is just a magnet in a moving magnetic field. In this case the wheel is part of the motor, but the problem is the large air gap between rotor and stator (perhaps coils inside the chain stays) which will reduce the efficiency. The same principle as a fork mounted contactless dynamo light. An alternative would be magnets on the crank axle and coils in the seat and downtubes. It would be nearly silent, but may be powerful enough to make a difference. Shouldn't be hard to detect though. Hopefully the UCI will make their findings public.

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Re:

sniper said:
Hawkwood said:
In addition Vivax does not recommend fitting its motor to a normal carbon frame as the seat-tube won't be stong enough, it does offer its own strengthened kevlar carbon frame though. ...
which reminds me, the guru in the gazzetta spoke of vivax assist type of devices (so possibly a different brand) that can be retrofitted to regular carbon fibre road bikes.
It's mentioned here:
http://road.cc/content/tech-news/177384-mechanical-doping-forget-concealed-motors-electromagnetic-powered-wheels

A motor is just a magnet in a moving magnetic field. In this case the wheel is part of the motor, but the problem is the large air gap between rotor and stator (perhaps coils inside the chain stays) which will reduce the efficiency. The same principle as a fork mounted contactless dynamo light. An alternative would be magnets on the crank axle and coils in the seat and downtubes. It would be nearly silent, but may be powerful enough to make a difference. Shouldn't be hard to detect though. Hopefully the UCI will make their findings public.

Did I read somewhere that in the Van den Driessche case the dad had done some carbon work to her frame, and this led to some suspicion as the frame didn't look the same as others (but might have misread this)? So this could have been a case of retro fitting a motor to a carbon frame that was not designed for one.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

Hawkwood said:
Did I read somewhere that in the Van den Driessche case the dad had done some carbon work to her frame, and this led to some suspicion as the frame didn't look the same as others (but might have misread this)? So this could have been a case of retro fitting a motor to a carbon frame that was not designed for one.
Yeah, for sure.
But let's agree that the v.d. Driessches have shown us how it should not be done.
A bit like Ricco showing us how not to dope.
Those are not the cases we should look at to determine what's possible and what not.

btw, different Assist manufacturers (Varjas, the guy in the Belgian tv clip, and the guy in the interview I linked yesterday, and maybe some others) have gone on the record that they've been approached by pros and amateurs to build them a nice bike.
The piece I linked yesterday was from 2010. The manufacturer in that interview said the noise from the motor put many potential buyers off. But we know the noise problem was solved in 2011...
If this Varjas dude (the 'guru' in the Gazzetta piece) says he sold 1200 pieces in one year, he might be exaggerating, but even if he sold only 10% of that, that's still 120 motor cheats in the Italian amateur/neopro scene, in one year.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
This is the piece i'm referring to. http://www.wielertoerist.be/J.O.Nash/verhalen/Bestaat-ie+of+bestaat-ie+niet%3F+De+Motor-fiets+van+Fabian+Cancellara/?did=9628&modus=view

June 2010.

What does the distributor say?

Renaat De Block is the man who distributes the Gruber Assist, the one Cassani demonstrated on RAI tv, in Belgium.
“I believe that riders can and would use this motor. Through telephone I have often been asked if the Gruber Assist can be placed in a race bike. I don't know if there were pro-riders among them, because they never said their names. But they lost interest every time I told them the motor does make a bit of a noise."

When Renaat looks at the footage that insinuates Cancellara was using a motor, he hesitates.
“It could be. Those handmovements could indicate that he is pressing the button to start the motor. You can hide that button everywhere. The battery too. In the case of the Gruber Assist the battery is typically in the sadle or the bag below the saddle, but there are also batteries which go inside a tube”.

The only doubt Renaat has concerns the noise. “Normally you would hear it. But with the public along the road the noise could fade of course. And if it is true that that French rider actually heard [a noise coming from Cance's bike]... Well...”

Could there be a noiseless version of the system? "Why not? If they have money, they should be able to develop something. And there is enough money in procycling."

And we know Gruber/Vivax developed a noiseless system in 2011.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site

sniper said:
Hawkwood said:
Yeah, for sure.
But let's agree that the v.d. Driessches have shown us how it should not be done.
A bit like Ricco showing us how not to dope.
Those are not the cases we should look at to determine what's possible and what not.

btw, different Assist manufacturers (Varjas, the guy in the Belgian tv clip, and the guy in the interview I linked yesterday, and maybe some others) have gone on the record that they've been approached by pros and amateurs to build them a nice bike.
The piece I linked yesterday was from 2010. The manufacturer in that interview said the noise from the motor put many potential buyers off. But we know the noise problem was solved in 2011...
If this Varjas dude (the 'guru' in the Gazzetta piece) says he sold 1200 pieces in one year, he might be exaggerating, but even if he sold only 10% of that, that's still 120 motor cheats in the Italian amateur/neopro scene, in one year.

hey, this is an informal rule on this forum, no one, NO ONE, no one criticises Ricky Riccio or they have to deal with me. Ricky Riccio, uncriticiseable[sic]

criticise parakeets all you like. but not Ricky Riccio ok

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
hehe. true story.

just saying, well, you know, he could have, like, ehm, be sort of..i mean kind of..a bit more, like..ah, cautious?

Hawkwood said:
sniper said:
Hawkwood said:
It's mentioned here:

It's not confirmed but would seem very likely; she had two bikes with a standard Wilier 'cross frame, and one which looked different. Tienus thinks they've identified it as her old Bianchi Calvaria she raced on as a junior before the Kleur op Maat contract. The frame attracted suspicion from other competitors because it visibly differed from the other frames which were identical and at least superficially standard (ref. Sabrina Stultiens), and they knew not only that Wilier only made one type of 'cross frame at the time, but also that her father had expertise in carbon repairs (ref. Maud Kaptheijns).

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site

Libertine Seguros said:
but also that her father had expertise in carbon repairs (ref. Maud Kaptheijns).

parakeets too.

I cant believe they took down that parakeets heist youtube clip, so sads, so doleful, so disappoints, so grammar...

it is like the day Lance had his people take down the STFU Levi XTranormal clips with Michelob cats piss.

Where should the apostrophe determining the possessive in cats piss, where should it be?..., what if it is ambiguous if it is plural or singular. It could be either or both, plural and singular?

should it be cat's p!$$ or cats' p!$$ ?

I am conflicted on this. I think I need the XtraNormal clips to determine this for me.

STFU Levi. Weak-willed Horner. #caveat albeit the clips were before Horner won the Vuelta.

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Here is the bottle/battery. While this would not work in a WT race- with bottles being used and tossed- the idea shows how simple it is to do. The charge/discharge is through the 2 pins.

And this is the inside of the bottle showing the pack. The base is delrin machined to accept the pack. Pack is a standard LiPo, 5000mah.

Ill try to grab shots of the shifters and frame this evening.

Attachments

• Bottle.jpg
    Bottle.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 342
  • Bottlepack.jpg
    Bottlepack.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 342
I have an idea which could probably give good benefits legitimately. Typically the friction in the bearings is ~1-2%. In the turbo machinery industry that i work in, the trend is towards magnetic bearings. Magnetic bearings are especially used in high speed machines where the friction loss is reduced to <0.1%. if used in bikes that could give a significant boost to the cyclists. There is one problem though. The weight of the bearing tends to be heavier than conventional bearings.

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
So Ill start with the frame. In this case it is a 56cm Carrera with integrated seatmast. The seatmast is really large- to accomodate the drive gear and motor.

The BB shell:

And the inside of the shell. You can see the drive gear:

This was a great deal of work. This was not a simple, add motor and go type of thing. This bike was specifically designed to house all of this crap.

More later-

Attachments

• Carrera_bb_shell1.jpg
    Carrera_bb_shell1.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 356
  • Carrera_bb_shell2.jpg
    Carrera_bb_shell2.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 356