• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mountain Biking

May 4, 2021
Visit site
Looking for some help and direction as I start to get into mountain biking. I’m very new to mountain biking and just tried to do the Anthem East trail. The initial climb for a mile up the paved part and mountain trail made me realize that my cardio is no where ready for that kind of climb and riding.
Hoping for some suggestions on easier mountain trails without much climbing and under like 5 miles so that I can build up my cardio and learn about mountain biking.
Thanks in advance for all the help.
https://192-168-2-1.link/
http://tplinklogin.info/
https://192-168-1-128.link/

Last edited:
Can't help with specific trails/locations but as a general, the cardio improvement can be done more effectively before the actual MTB season: stationary bike home, spinning classes in the gym, road bike, etc.
Since that didn't happen I'd say: just ride your MTB, enjoy the vistas and technical aspects of it and the cardio/form will improve even after initial 10 mid-effort rides :)
This approach works for most of the bikers... unless you are not after some semi-pro level and more systematic training regime.
Just riding a mid-effort MTB with short uphill bursts can greatly improve your level after as few as 400-500 km. Also it's great to combine your riding with some core strength exercises during the days off bike. As core strength is very important fro things like balance and maneuvering and can make your rides way more enjoyable.
Really, it's not rocket science (unless you want to get competitive at semi-pro level) - just enjoy your bike, nature, exploration, technical skills and work a little bit on your core muscles. It can be frustrating in the beginning because some climbs and tech sections can be very hard or even unrideable for beginners but it'll come to pass surely.

Jul 7, 2023
Visit site
Here are some beginner-friendly mountain bike trail options in the Las Vegas area, which I have tried:

1. Bootleg Canyon: Located in Boulder City, just outside of Las Vegas, Bootleg Canyon offers a variety of trails suitable for beginners. The "Girl Scout" trail is a popular choice, featuring smooth terrain and gentle slopes.
  2. Cottonwood Valley Trails: Situated within the Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area, the Cottonwood Valley Trails offer several beginner-friendly options. The "Bikeway Trail" is a great starting point, providing a scenic ride through the desert landscape.
  3. River Mountains Loop Trail: This trail loops around the River Mountains, offering stunning views of Lake Mead and the Las Vegas Valley. The trail is paved and well-maintained, making it ideal for beginners looking for a comfortable ride.
  4. Blue Diamond Hill Trails: Located in Blue Diamond Park, the trails here are suitable for beginner riders. The "Landmine Loop" is a gentle, well-marked trail that provides an enjoyable biking experience with beautiful desert scenery.
  5. Bootleg Canyon MTB Park - West Leg: Another section of Bootleg Canyon, the West Leg offers beginner-friendly trails such as "Ike's Peek" and "Snakeback." These trails feature wide paths, moderate elevation changes, and scenic vistas.

If you are completely new, it is better to use an electric mountain bike, which will help you with the difficult moments of the road and make it easier to reach your goal. Here I found a wide range of mountain electric bikes that you can check out: https://www.edinburghbicycle.com/all-electric-bikes/electric-mountain-bikes

Remember to always check trail conditions, bring proper safety gear, and follow any park or trail regulations. Happy cycling!

Last edited: