• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Federations investigating Landis claims?

Didn’t McQuaid say he’d passed on the Landis accusations about the riders mention by Landis to the national federations? Not seen anything from any federation about Levi, Hincapie etc. or from the Australian federation about Matt White. What’s going on?

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
Didn’t McQuaid say he’d passed on the Landis accusations about the riders mention by Landis to the national federations? Not seen anything from any federation about Levi, Hincapie etc. or from the Australian federation about Matt White. What’s going on?

Steve Johnson is busy at the paper shredder right now Hog. Could he get back to you on this?

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Belgium cycling said at the time that they would investigate Bruyneel, I believe because the team license is from there? Not a peep.
If any of the national agencies do find something, I doubt if they'd come forward before things start coming out in America. Actually, since WADA helped Interpol to set up communication between agencies, I hope that if they do find that individuals have doped, they stay quiet long enough to track down doctors and suppliers.
I hope it doesn't come down to a case of them protecting or not pursuing cheaters until others prove they're involved and forces action.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Let's hope the silence is good in that there are agencies investigating and not blowing trumpets about all over the place and giving advance warning to those it might be trying to investigate....

but can't see any of the cycling federations doing jackshoot, with the possible exception of the Austrians and Germans, but are they involved?

I am sure the Swiss are working overtime on the UCI as we speak:rolleyes:

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Let's hope the silence is good in that there are agencies investigating and not blowing trumpets about all over the place and giving advance warning to those it might be trying to investigate....

but can't see any of the cycling federations doing jackshoot, with the possible exception of the Austrians and Germans, but are they involved?

I am sure the Swiss are working overtime on the UCI as we speak:rolleyes:
hear you, benotti !

trust me, though i'm not an american passport holder, the usada should be on your list. they're no nonsense, tough, transparent anti-doping agency worth a positive word and some emulation.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Have no faith in federations. Or the current other cycling bodies. I say that in terms of the larger int'l games that I've been involved with where positive tests have come up. I can't speak from personal experience specifically of positives in the newer era pro peloton (the teams I worked with always fired riders on the first positive A sample, and then would wait and see...). And I'd like to caveat this with this all being almost twenty years old... But I still figure that a lot of the same 'boy's club' mentality persists.

Bear in mind that this was in the 'old days' when pros were pros, and only 'amateurs' could compete in the various int'l Games.

I know of a rider that tested positive after winning gold at a games. Everything was lovely, his career and reputation improved, all was good. A couple of years later an internal movement in the federation was gaining speed to try to get rid of the less savoury and less useful members of the entrenched bureaucracy based on a slack attitude towards doping, misconduct at races, corruption, misallocation of sponsor equipment etc. etc.

This was gaining speed, had the support of pretty much all the young up and coming riders, was getting media attention, and so they approached the 'winner' to get his support as he had previously spoken out about all the previously mentioned misdeeds of the federation. He initially was on-side, then abruptly dropped all contact with the group trying to make this happen.

The changes that the riders were working for ended up going nowhere (although I think some staff got some sweet buy-outs to end their contracts).

A couple of years later I was talking to the now ex-wife of the winner, and she told me how hard it was on him to not be able to stand in solidarity with the group he really did want to support.

Here's the kicker: the federation had a positive test from the games that he won. They kept it quiet, no ban, nothing. UNTIL he started speaking out against the federation, then they told him to keep his mouth shut or they wouldn't keep their's shut. That's right, blackmail...

I'm not sure if the chain of disclosure is still as closed as it was then, but I sure wouldn't put any faith in the UCI and federations being all that better now. No one wants to be disgraced and risk losing funding.

As for me, I'd love to see it all torn up and started all over again. Hopefully with some sort of independent 'civilian' body that can oversee where the money's going.

We can all implicate DSs, soigneurs, drs, prepatores, etc for the pro scene, but every young rider is going to have to deal with their federation at some point. Clean that one out, too...

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Well, McQuaid's statement was something like this:

"We actively have requested that the national federations investigate these claims."

"At the same time, we have also told the national federations that we believe the claims to total horsepuckey, and we apologize profusely for wasting their time w/ this request."

Not exactly a "call to arms" from General McQuackin'.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
It appears USADA is doing all the heavy lifting. They just suspended Andy Crater for....wait for it.....pot. USACycling is silent and useless.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Oldman said:
It appears USADA is doing all the heavy lifting. They just suspended Andy Crater for....wait for it.....pot. USACycling is silent and useless.

If it weren't for America, no one would care about a positive THC test. How in the hell is that going to help performance? Does it help you draw better paisleys while you forget to shower? Oh, hold on for a minute... I've got the munchies...

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:

Funnily enough I was wondering the same thing last week. I have not heard a mention here since it was first announced there would be an investigation by the national federation.

Swept under the carpet? Keeping quiet because no one is making a noise about it?

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Night Rider said:
Funnily enough I was wondering the same thing last week. I have not heard a mention here since it was first announced there would be an investigation by the national federation.

Swept under the carpet? Keeping quiet because no one is making a noise about it?

see above rant about my experience with federations (not the THC comment).

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
python said:
hear you, benotti !

trust me, though i'm not an american passport holder, the usada should be on your list. they're no nonsense, tough, transparent anti-doping agency worth a positive word and some emulation.

Oldman said:

Therein lies the problem. McQuaid suggests that the federations (e.g., USAC) look into it, but I believe the anti-doping agencies (USADA) need cases referred to them in order to investigate? Assuming that's the case, fat chance USADA is gonna hear from LA and Weisel's boy Johnson over at USAC.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
What do people expect the National Feds to do though?

They only have Floyds word at this point - so you haul in rider X and say "Were you on a bus getting transfusions"?
If they answer "no" - thats that.

Ultimately, National Federations can only adjudicate - not investigate, as they don't have any power to demand evidence.
Of course if further evidence was to come out (hehehe) then things will be different.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
national federations frozen.

protour status animated as of late:

picasso.gif

May 26, 2010
Visit site
When i suggested 'agencies investigating' i was suggesting not cycling federations as we all know how much they care about doping. I am hoping that in Italy for example, the Guardia di Financia might be looking at Ferarri for undeclared income related to the findings of Novitsky and payments made by LA, and other relevant police enforcement agencies in other countries are doing the similar based on info from Feds or Interpol, but as we don't no much how much info they have been given we cant really expect anything yet. But definitely another question to add tot the mountain of questions McQuack keeps avoiding answering.

Fingers crossed, but only until the pins and needles start:rolleyes:

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to digress, but my 7yr old son just spotted the Guernica gif that tubularglue posted and wants to know where to get it.

TRENDING THREADS