• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 216 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Pretty bad week of picks for me. Here are my thoughts after yesterday's carnage.

First, let's give credit to the Bengals who look like a complete team and bound to win that division, but Baltimore, who I and many others, thought would go a long way, looks lost. I realize losing their defensive leader in Suggs hurt, but they shouldn't be 0-3.

Losing Big Ben right now is not good for Pittsburgh either.

Yeah, horrible game for Kaep, but let's give credit to Arizona who looks like a juggernaut with Carson Palmer. They scored 47 points against the Niners. Forty-seven points!

Buffalo blowing out Miami was impressive also.

The Jets just lost against Philly. I saw much of the game and between Ryan Fitzpatrick's lack of arm strength, and some poor execution, especially on special teams, this looked like the 2014 Jets for most of the game.

Who here said Atlanta would go 3-0? But they look like a completely different team behind Dan Quinn.

New England's offense looks maybe as good as I've ever seen.

Seattle finally looked like Seattle. Some great special teams plays.

Great to see Oakland 2-1. I don't know the last time they were above 500%, but I did hear some other stats. This is the first time they've won back to back games in 3 years. The first road win in three years, and most shocking maybe, the first game they've won in an eastern time zone in six seasons.

Re: Re:

red_flanders said:
42x16ss said:
red_flanders said:
42x16ss said:
infeXio said:
Kaepernick with two pick-6's in 2 minutes..
He had a horrendous game, but not a lot of support either. The only real highlight for the 49ers was Jarryd Hayne's punt return leading up to the touchdown.

Do NOT kick to Hayne in space, he'll carve you up all day.

Or drop the ball.

He is fun to watch and I'm rooting for him, but let's not get carried away just yet. He's doing well so far with some not unexpected mistakes.
What he did on the weekend is what he used to do week in, week out in Rugby League.

I sure that's true.

Yesterday he had one really nice punt return that I saw. Did he do more? Last week he was uneven, with a big mistake and some nice runs. Not surprising, he's learning the game. Fun to watch. Seems to have potential.

And in the NFL he doesn't have to fight to stay in the field of play.

Not sure I follow.
In the two rugby codes, when you are forced over the sideline there is a scrum, with the opposition feeding.
Basically, in Rugby League, that means a turnover, so when you are returning a kick you need to stay in the field of play unless you want to give the ball back to the opposition in good field position.

How Steelers still haven't released their kicker is beyond me. Granted, he's third string, but still - missing 2 potentially game winning FGs in the 4th quarter (though hindsight is 20/20) is simply not good enough. Add that to the misses he had against the Patriots in week 1, and you have a team which is now 2-2 rather than 3-1 or potentially 4-0 (though they probably wouldn't have won against the Patriots anyways)

You know those guys who always post how boring a race or stage is? I hate that, but after every NFL game that I have watched this season I keep saying how SLOPPY the play is. I see a lot of mistakes by people who are making a lot of money to play, and coach at a higher level. Bad play calling, poor tackling, dropped balls, bad positioning, soft routs, poor zones, lazy blocking, missed field goals, pad punts, penalties. Are coaches playing not to lose? Are players making too much money to focus? I've been an NFL junkie since the '70s, and I'm not liking the state of things.

The Pats, Cards, and Packers look the cleanest, hence they are 3-0. The Broncos, Panthers, Bengals, and Falcons are also somehow 3-0 because they were less sloppy than the teams that they have played (the Pac actually slot between these two groups but I gave them the BoD).

Xio, I was thinking the same thing, isn't there an available kicker out there who can make a field goal?

Re:

Tough loss for the Steelers. But I'm still just surprised how poorly the Ravens are playing.

Too many games decided by kickers in the NFL, too often on automatic kicks, so this was "nice" to see in that regard. Felt bad for Scobee though. Jay Freely tried out for the Steelers in camp but didn't make the team. I have to wonder if at this point the Steelers don't cut Scobee and take Jay, and not ask him to kick anything past 45 yards. At 39 Freely may have the confidence to make the short(ish) kicks they need.
jmdirt said:
The Pats, Cards, and Packers look the cleanest, hence they are 3-0. The Broncos, Panthers, Bengals, and Falcons are also somehow 3-0 because they were less sloppy than the teams that they have played.
I have to agree with you. And I still think the CBA contact rules during camp are a reason. And a reason for the plethora of injuries so far.

But looking at your list, the Cardinals are interesting, because their competition hasn't been very good so far. Saints, Bears, 49ers. Though they completely shellacked all three teams. Up next for them is Rams, @Lions, @Steelers, @Ravens, @Browns, then a bye, then @Seattle, where things should get interesting.

The Falcons to me are the most intriguing. I've seen two of their games, plus watched some of their footage and read up on them. They are playing decent, but there seems to be a motivation on that team they haven't had in years. Dan Quinn seems to have them playing at another level. Kyle Shanahan's offense seems perfect for Matt Ryan and Julio Jones, and GM Thomas Dimitroff gets some credit here. Top draft pick from 2014 Jake Matthews has been an OL anchor, but gets a real test against JJ Watt this coming week. 2015 first round pick Vic Beasley already has made a big impact. In fact, if you look at their defense it has a few "who?" players, or rejects from other teams, that have found home playing under Quinn.

Falcons will at some point have to deal with the Panthers, who are still plenty good. But the Falcons schedule is favorable. HOU, WAS, @NO, @TEN, TB, @SF, bye, IND, MIN, @TB, @CAR, @JAX, CAR, NO. If, and this might be a big IF, they keep playing the way they are, they could end up 12-4 with this schedule. After all, that's only 9-4 from where they are now.

Re:

jmdirt said:
You know those guys who always post how boring a race or stage is? I hate that, but after every NFL game that I have watched this season I keep saying how SLOPPY the play is. I see a lot of mistakes by people who are making a lot of money to play, and coach at a higher level. Bad play calling, poor tackling, dropped balls, bad positioning, soft routs, poor zones, lazy blocking, missed field goals, pad punts, penalties. Are coaches playing not to lose? Are players making too much money to focus? I've been an NFL junkie since the '70s, and I'm not liking the state of things.

Thursday night games are the worst in this regard, far worse than the weekend games. Combine that and the lack of contact during practice, and the abbreviated time in camp and pre-season and you have the recipe for what you describe.

Only thing that changes this is a new CBA.

Except the league is like 7 years away from this one ending. However, however. There is always the chance the owners will do some sort of "mop-up", where they change several needed rules, like this, and the one giving Roger Goodell absolute power, and extend the current CBA a couple years in the process, and get the NFLPA to go along. We'll see...

Agree on Thursday games. A real crap shoot. I actually hate them. Works for one day a year, Thanksgiving. And even then that should come after a bye week.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
BAL @ PIT - a squeaky win, but I'll take it. :p
NYJ @ MIA - Fins are disappointing, don't expect that to change.
JAX @ IND - Colts should be too good.
NYG @ BUF - first home banker, who would have thought?
CAR @ TB - away banker
PHI @ WSH - Skins could sneak it if Iggles don't turn up, but I won't pick them.
OAK @ CHI - poor Bears.
HOU @ ATL - home banker.
KC @ CIN - home banker.
CLE @ SD - gulp, a scary home banker.
GB @ SF - away banker of the day.
STL @ ARI - home banker of the day.
MIN @ DEN - Peyton showing his age, but Broncs should still edge it.
DAL @ NO - Cowgirls might steal it, but I can't pick them.
DET @ SEA - might be tougher than expected, but Hawks should prevail.

How long do the 49ers persevere with a seriously out of form Kap ? To think they passed up on Rogers as a draft pick ! 49ers defense improved and the Packers only scored 17 with a few sacks on Rogers but their offense is miserable. Even some of their fans are saying they will have a 1-15 season. Tomsula may not want to say it's a rebuilding year but many sports journalists are already calling it that way.

I saw some ugly picks of Kap in the Cardinals game, backfoot throws with no power behind them, very easy for the defenders.

It would appear he has regressed.

Caught a lot of the Jets/Dolphins game, dare I say it the Jets looking quite good. If they can overcome their traditional dysfunctional nature they could go places, tough division though.

Also watched the Saints v Cowboys game, twice as it were, I just can't figure either of those teams out. A lot of inconsistencies about them, Saints lucky to win, but at the same time would have been unlucky to lose.

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
I'm not sure what his raise was, but Kam Chancellor just earned it. What a heads up play.
This is a great example of how reporting and playing makes a bigger argument for a pay increase than holding out, a tactic which I personally don't like for a number of reasons.

Then give credit to FS Earl Thomas for his hit on Calvin Johnson at about the 3 yard line, which slowed Johnson up enough for Kam to make that play. At least that's what one ESPN Sports Science guru is saying
(http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=13821090).

Other than that I think the Bermuda Triangle has vortexed and appeared in the north end zone of Seattle's CentruyLink field, where rules of football do not appear to apply.

Re:

leftover pie said:
I saw some ugly picks of Kap in the Cardinals game, backfoot throws with no power behind them, very easy for the defenders.

It would appear he has regressed.

Caught a lot of the Jets/Dolphins game, dare I say it the Jets looking quite good. If they can overcome their traditional dysfunctional nature they could go places, tough division though.

Also watched the Saints v Cowboys game, twice as it were, I just can't figure either of those teams out. A lot of inconsistencies about them, Saints lucky to win, but at the same time would have been unlucky to lose.
The Cowboy's offense has too many injuries to play well yet they have done well. The defense has let them down over and over, but most of the talk is about Romo and Dez being out. I'd use the word inconsistent to describe most of the NFL. I'm leaning to it being due to poor play calling, but not discounting the "structure" of the game now (CBA, etc.).

After further review, it appears the Seahawks again benefitted from a missed call. When KJ Wright tapped the ball out of the end zone, it should have been the Lions ball on the 1 yard line. Joking or not, I almost feel like the is karma coming back to the Hawks after losing Super Bowl XL and all the calls that went against them.

But I also have to say this, Foxxy might have been right to write off Seattle for overpaying too many players. I mean, their OL looks bad, and it took Chancellor to save the game, at home, against an 0-3 team. http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/10/seattle-seahawks-batted-ball-will-they-make-playoffs-detroit-lions-fail-mary-monday-night-football-gift-struggling

Agree on the Jets. Only 1 bad half so far this season.

Kaep, I'm not sure what to say. Physical talent, but poor decisions.

St. Louis win over Arizona, in Arizona, was something.

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

on3m@n@rmy said:
Alpe d'Huez said:
Other than that I think the Bermuda Triangle has vortexed and appeared in the north end zone of Seattle's CentruyLink field, where rules of football do not appear to apply.

That might sum it up, certainly been some weird games in that stadium, let alone those missed calls in the end zone.

I didn't think Detroit was all that bad though, they have some nice pieces on that team, they just need to get some wins. They just find ways to lose games at the worst times it seems though

TRENDING THREADS