National Football League

Page 280 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Irondan

Administrator
Moderator
BullsFan22 said:
I feel so bad for Earl Thomas. He is absolutely one of the key players, if not THE key player on the D for the Hawks. He's been playing so well and been so consistent ever since he was drafted by the Hawks. He is such a good guy too. Terrible luck for him and for the team. The season is lost for him, but I hope the tweet he sent out after the game was just out of frustration and spur of the moment rather than premature retirement planning. He'll be missed, but here's hoping the surgery is successful and he makes a complete and swift recovery and is back at full tilt next season. He'll be needed!

As for the positives, what a performance all around for the Hawks! The OL was great, Wilson did his bit, Rawls looked great, the receivers were solid, the defense bullied the Panthers and this is looking much better than the 14-5 of last week.

Heading to Green Bay next. Playing Green Bay in Green Bay is never easy, no matter the Packers' record. They played a good game yesterday and Rodgers will still feel like they have a shot, albeit an outside one, of making the playoffs, so this will be a great test for the Hawks. They have to treat it as a playoff game. I think they've had their 'ugly games' behind them and will now be playing at a higher level consistently. They more or less have the division wrapped up, but a win against the Packers will see them through, I am fairly certain. The Cowboys look like they are uncatchable right now and they will get the #1 seed and home field advantage. I think the Hawks will be ok with the #2nd seed, if things stay the same until the end of the regular season. They'll get a bye and then home field in the divisional game.
The very next play after Thomas came out of the game was a targeted throw at his replacement for a long touchdown! That shows how important he is to the seahawk defense, it's going to be tough playing without him back there roaming the field...
 
Re: Re:

Glenn_Wilson said:
ChewbaccaDefense said:
I detest Seattle and their a$$wipe of a coach. If the Panthers don't win another game this year, I hope they win this one...well, and the Atlanta one. I guess I just hate bird teams? Cardinals and Ravens...I'm looking at you...though I do have a soft spot for the Ravens because it's about Poe and not the bird, though if I have a favorite bird, it's a Raven.

#H8thman
While I assure you that I'm not a Panthers fan...... I also share your loathing of Seattle. The coach makes me want to ,,,,go all copperhead supporter on him!!!! :lol:

What is it about this year and the Panthers? I know there are injury's but something else is causing them trouble. I don't watch their games enough to know. But when the Saints played them I was at the dome. The Panthers were off much of the game.
1. Injuries on an already weak O-line

2. Weak DB's

3. A D front 4 that can't seem to put any pressure on the QB.

4. Cam holds the ball too long, and is a terrible QB when he is pressured.

There are other issues, but those are the 4 biggies for me.
 
That is hilarious. What a great find. I always thought of that kind of beard as a "Sasquatch" beard (being from out west maybe), but this guy has taken the neck beard concept to a new level. Very creative.

"Dearest mother — We're marching home to again battle Texans. Capt. Brock of Osweiler Riverlands is of poor aim, but large stature."
"Although the Jet men believe I still have a head bone injury, I shall battle."
"We finally received word the mountain man who leads the Jet men is named Fitzpatrick. Our beards shall clash hard."
 
Dec 7, 2010
8,773
3
0
Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
That is hilarious. What a great find. I always thought of that kind of beard as a "Sasquatch" beard (being from out west maybe), but this guy has taken the neck beard concept to a new level. Very creative.

"Dearest mother — We're marching home to again battle Texans. Capt. Brock of Osweiler Riverlands is of poor aim, but large stature."
"Although the Jet men believe I still have a head bone injury, I shall battle."
"We finally received word the mountain man who leads the Jet men is named Fitzpatrick. Our beards shall clash hard."
Alpe I read that stuff and was dying laughing. Head bone injury and neck beard. It is like tailor made for the civil war stuff.

Dearest mother —
I have heard tales of the Osweiler Riverlands. It appears that land is costly to visit, but fairly underwhelming.
— Andrew
Dearest mother —
This evening, I parted my neck beard on the other side. The men agreed it is far more intimidating. Texans beware.
— Andrew
Dearest mother —
I have received your care package of cured squirrel thighs and goat oil. I am full and my neck beard refreshed.
— Andrew
 
Dec 7, 2010
8,773
3
0
Re:

red_flanders said:
Someone's been watching Mike & Mike...
I don't watch mike and mike show. Did they mention the twitter?

In my opinion the mike and mike show is pure garbage, others like it.
 
Re:

movingtarget said:
Unfortunately, I would have to agree with that. He has a significant injury history now after only five years in the league. He rupture the ACL in his right knee twice; once in college at Baylor and again in his rookie season with the Skins. A re-tear of a reconstructed ACL for an athlete can be problematic and there's concern on how well the joint will function long-term. He's also had other injuries of concern:

http://sportsinjurypredictor.com/injury-predictor/player/25712

https://youtu.be/O5pW4szXRAs

It's too bad...when healthy he's a pretty good QB with his dual-threat capibility. He was electrifying at Baylor, and was round-1, pick #2 of the 2012 draft (right behind Luck).
 
So who has the edge in the AFC West now? Equal records, but KC now leads thanks to last nights win. The Broncos are not out of it, but they are very close to being out of it, and they may not even make it to the playoffs. Is that the best division in the NFL? Records and actual play would suggest that.
 
BullsFan22 said:
So who has the edge in the AFC West now? Equal records, but KC now leads thanks to last nights win. The Broncos are not out of it, but they are very close to being out of it, and they may not even make it to the playoffs. Is that the best division in the NFL? Records and actual play would suggest that.
12 months on and the Cardinals, Panthers, and Broncos to a lesser extent have not brought last year's form into this year. Kansas and the Falcons have been playing well. The Patriots are consistent but I still see the Seahawks and Cowboys as the teams to beat this year. Unless some team suddenly takes it to another level in the next few weeks I think those are the teams to beat for the SB. Miami and the Ravens have picked up this year. The Cowboys need Elliott and Prescott to both be on the field to have any hope in the playoffs. They have made a huge difference to the Cowboys this year. Looking at the schedule the Browns won't win a game this season and the 49ers last chance to win will be against the Jets this week. The Jets were pathetic against the Colts last week. If the 49ers win i give them some chance of also beating the Rams in the final game. They beat them convincingly in week one and the Rams are another team that are struggling especially on offense. AFC West does seem to be the strongest division at the moment.
 
movingtarget said:
BullsFan22 said:
So who has the edge in the AFC West now? Equal records, but KC now leads thanks to last nights win. The Broncos are not out of it, but they are very close to being out of it, and they may not even make it to the playoffs. Is that the best division in the NFL? Records and actual play would suggest that.
12 months on and the Cardinals, Panthers, and Broncos to a lesser extent have not brought last year's form into this year. Kansas and the Falcons have been playing well. The Patriots are consistent but I still see the Seahawks and Cowboys as the teams to beat this year. Unless some team suddenly takes it to another level in the next few weeks I think those are the teams to beat for the SB. Miami and the Ravens have picked up this year. The Cowboys need Elliott and Prescott to both be on the field to have any hope in the playoffs. They have made a huge difference to the Cowboys this year. Looking at the schedule the Browns won't win a game this season and the 49ers last chance to win will be against the Jets this week. The Jets were pathetic against the Colts last week. If the 49ers win i give them some chance of also beating the Rams in the final game. They beat them convincingly in week one and the Rams are another team that are struggling especially on offense. AFC West does seem to be the strongest division at the moment.
Best division in the NFL? The link here has one writers opinion, which I think is spot on.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000749047/article/nfc-east-afc-west-among-nfls-best-divisions
Saves a lot of typing.
 
on3m@n@rmy said:
movingtarget said:
BullsFan22 said:
So who has the edge in the AFC West now? Equal records, but KC now leads thanks to last nights win. The Broncos are not out of it, but they are very close to being out of it, and they may not even make it to the playoffs. Is that the best division in the NFL? Records and actual play would suggest that.
12 months on and the Cardinals, Panthers, and Broncos to a lesser extent have not brought last year's form into this year. Kansas and the Falcons have been playing well. The Patriots are consistent but I still see the Seahawks and Cowboys as the teams to beat this year. Unless some team suddenly takes it to another level in the next few weeks I think those are the teams to beat for the SB. Miami and the Ravens have picked up this year. The Cowboys need Elliott and Prescott to both be on the field to have any hope in the playoffs. They have made a huge difference to the Cowboys this year. Looking at the schedule the Browns won't win a game this season and the 49ers last chance to win will be against the Jets this week. The Jets were pathetic against the Colts last week. If the 49ers win i give them some chance of also beating the Rams in the final game. They beat them convincingly in week one and the Rams are another team that are struggling especially on offense. AFC West does seem to be the strongest division at the moment.
Best division in the NFL? The link here has one writers opinion, which I think is spot on.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000749047/article/nfc-east-afc-west-among-nfls-best-divisions
Saves a lot of typing.

Hmmm, if the biggest reason for the NFC being the top division in the league is the Cowboys then I am not convinced. The Raiders and Chiefs have had better wins than the Cowboys. The Broncos are still 8-4 and the Chargers have blown several games down the stretch. Replace those blown wins and the Chargers would be fighting for the division and maybe more come playoff time. That might be a stretch, because could of would of should happens to every team, including the 49ers and Jaguars.

The guys at NFL.com obviously know more and have better access, first look into teams, players, coaches, etc, but personally, I am not convinced by the Cowboys.
 
BullsFan22 said:
on3m@n@rmy said:
movingtarget said:
BullsFan22 said:
So who has the edge in the AFC West now? Equal records, but KC now leads thanks to last nights win. The Broncos are not out of it, but they are very close to being out of it, and they may not even make it to the playoffs. Is that the best division in the NFL? Records and actual play would suggest that.
12 months on and the Cardinals, Panthers, and Broncos to a lesser extent have not brought last year's form into this year. Kansas and the Falcons have been playing well. The Patriots are consistent but I still see the Seahawks and Cowboys as the teams to beat this year. Unless some team suddenly takes it to another level in the next few weeks I think those are the teams to beat for the SB. Miami and the Ravens have picked up this year. The Cowboys need Elliott and Prescott to both be on the field to have any hope in the playoffs. They have made a huge difference to the Cowboys this year. Looking at the schedule the Browns won't win a game this season and the 49ers last chance to win will be against the Jets this week. The Jets were pathetic against the Colts last week. If the 49ers win i give them some chance of also beating the Rams in the final game. They beat them convincingly in week one and the Rams are another team that are struggling especially on offense. AFC West does seem to be the strongest division at the moment.
Best division in the NFL? The link here has one writers opinion, which I think is spot on.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000749047/article/nfc-east-afc-west-among-nfls-best-divisions
Saves a lot of typing.

Hmmm, if the biggest reason for the NFC being the top division in the league is the Cowboys then I am not convinced. The Raiders and Chiefs have had better wins than the Cowboys. The Broncos are still 8-4 and the Chargers have blown several games down the stretch. Replace those blown wins and the Chargers would be fighting for the division and maybe more come playoff time. That might be a stretch, because could of would of should happens to every team, including the 49ers and Jaguars.

The guys at NFL.com obviously know more and have better access, first look into teams, players, coaches, etc, but personally, I am not convinced by the Cowboys.
True that the Cowboys have had their fair share of close games but then that could be the sign of a good team also when they win games and have not played that well. I also have doubts about the Seahawks but I have more doubts about the other contenders. The Panthers were on a roll last year but still lost the SB and lost easily. It's really hard to know until the playoffs when teams play that have not played against each other earlier. It could be one of those years when a team springs a surprise. Even Tampa Bay have looked good. But I don't see one standout team that deserves to be favorite to win the Superbowl. Not yet anyway.
 
Normally with an upstart kind of team like the Cowboys I'd say they must go out and prove it before I crown them. But with their offensive weapons at WR, RB, a QB getting it done, and especially their OL that can just take over a game, That plus 11-1 record and I'd say prove them wrong. That does not mean they are unbeatable. Then look down the rest of that division. The 8-4 Guants are nothing to fool with. Same with the 6-5-1 Redskins. Both those teams have QBs and weapons to beat you. Then last place in the division is 5-7 Eagles, who might be 7-5 if they had a seasoned QB. They are physical, even as banged up as they have been. The most physical game Seattle played all year was vs Phil in Seattle, who came out of that game more banged up than any other.

The other division the writer put up there in tier 1 was the AFC West. That division might be stronger than the NFC East, but that is splitting hairs. Even considering KC toppled Oakland in KC, where Chiefs always play tough.

Speaking of the Raiders, did anyone hear of the Alameda county proposal to build a new stadium in Oakland to keep the team there?http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/oakland-reveals-stadium-proposal-keep-raiders-120916
The city of Oakland has not thrown in the towel, despite wishes of Davis to move the team.
 
I still say the AFC West. Look at it this way, KC, Oakland or Denver could easily go 11-5 and finish in third place. I still think of Denver as one of the most dangerous teams in the AFC, in fact, they are currently in third place, and could still end up with the #1 seed. I'd also argue the Chargers can beat almost any given team. The NFC East is good though.

Looks like snow at least in six NFL games today. Should be fun! Some thoughts on this week:

SF@Jets - battle of the bottom. Who will be watching this game?
Hou@Indy - Colts have been playing better, despite blowing some games, but must win out to have a playoff chance, probably.
Ari @ Miami - Two weeks ago Dolphins were on a tear, then blown out last week.
NO@TB - Are the Bucs for real? Matchups may favor Saints though.
Pitt@Buf - I still think the Steelers are one of the elite teams in the NFL, let's see.
Sea@GB - In the snow, and cold, should be fun.
Dal@NYG - The Giants are the only team to beat Dallas, in week 1. But I think their offense are pretenders.
Balt@NE - Patriots should win, but Ravens defense playing very well winning 4 of 5 in some tough tames. Will be cold and likely snowy or icy in Foxboro. Monday night game.
 
Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
I still say the AFC West. Look at it this way, KC, Oakland or Denver could easily go 11-5 and finish in third place. I still think of Denver as one of the most dangerous teams in the AFC, in fact, they are currently in third place, and could still end up with the #1 seed. I'd also argue the Chargers can beat almost any given team. The NFC East is good though.

Looks like snow at least in six NFL games today. Should be fun! Some thoughts on this week:

SF@Jets - battle of the bottom. Who will be watching this game?
Hou@Indy - Colts have been playing better, despite blowing some games, but must win out to have a playoff chance, probably.
Ari @ Miami - Two weeks ago Dolphins were on a tear, then blown out last week.
NO@TB - Are the Bucs for real? Matchups may favor Saints though.
Pitt@Buf - I still think the Steelers are one of the elite teams in the NFL, let's see.
Sea@GB - In the snow, and cold, should be fun.
Dal@NYG - The Giants are the only team to beat Dallas, in week 1. But I think their offense are pretenders.
Balt@NE - Patriots should win, but Ravens defense playing very well winning 4 of 5 in some tough tames. Will be cold and likely snowy or icy in Foxboro. Monday night game.
I'm a Cowboys fan, but I'd still pick the AFC West as the best.

There are some interesting games this weekend, particularly with the weather conditions. I agree with you on the Steelers, they would be my pick of the teams that might come from behind (in terms of the season's standings).
I don't really rate the Giants (I do have a slight cognitive bias though ;) ), but the conditions might play in their favour. However, at this stage of the season, I would say that the Cowboys are a better team and the Giants will miss Jason Pierre-Paul .
The GB game looks a cool matchup.
 
*** hell the Vikings are so *** stupid.

For about the 15th time this season they run power from big set with everyone in line on 3th/4th and 1 and for the 15th time they fail.

nfl coaches are so stupid. just spread them out and run a sneak.
 
Re:

on3m@n@rmy said:
Well at least the Vikes won. Which is a Nordic invasion better than Seattle is doing vs the Packers. What a total team loss for Seattle. Or it will be when the game ends.

My vote for worst division in the NFL? Right now NFC West.

Yes they are missing ET and will miss him the rest of the year, but was it really Rodgers slicing them up or was it a combo of Rodgers playing really well and the Hawks D just disappearing? I know the offense is largely up and down and you never know what you are going to get, but despite the weather, I didn't think they'd just fold like that. I mean, they were never in it. It's been years since they've played this bad and lost by this much. It reminds me a bit of last years divisional vs Carolina, though they made a nice comeback to make a game of it in the 4th.
 
49ers once again show a complete inability to put together four quarters of football and after leading 17-3 on a day when even Phil Dawson was missing field goals their second half was laughable. Kaep had three good games but the last two have been simply dreadful and I doubt even the Jets would be interested in him at this stage. Even with Carlos Hyde running a personal best in rushing their offense and defense collapsed once again. It looks more and more like their GM will be gone and if Chip Kelly and Jim O'Neil survive it will be by a thread. Also talk that Rex Ryan will be gone from the Bills probably. The Browns coach is supposed to be staying but the the Jets coach may be out as well. Nice win by Green Bay.
 
Re: Re:

BullsFan22 said:
on3m@n@rmy said:
Well at least the Vikes won. Which is a Nordic invasion better than Seattle is doing vs the Packers. What a total team loss for Seattle. Or it will be when the game ends.

My vote for worst division in the NFL? Right now NFC West.

Yes they are missing ET and will miss him the rest of the year, but was it really Rodgers slicing them up or was it a combo of Rodgers playing really well and the Hawks D just disappearing? I know the offense is largely up and down and you never know what you are going to get, but despite the weather, I didn't think they'd just fold like that. I mean, they were never in it. It's been years since they've played this bad and lost by this much. It reminds me a bit of last years divisional vs Carolina, though they made a nice comeback to make a game of it in the 4th.
Before answering that, I have to say a couple things. First, WOW! What a SNF game. That's why I should not have crowned the Cowboys. Giants are the only team to beat the Cowboys this year so far. Twice.

Second, a kind of sad fact. The last Browns QB to win a Browns game? Johnny Manziel. And who did Heisman winner Lamar Jackson, a 19 year old kid, end up with last night? Johnny Manziel. Lamar's mama better put on the pads and have a talk with her son.

As for Seattle vs GB, while ET (extra terrestrial) Earl Thomas is out of this world when it comes to the FS position, Seattle losing had nothing to do with missing Earl. It was a complete, total team loss. Give Rodgers credit, he tore em up. Then add to that 5 INTs tossed by Russ Wilson, some not his fault, but none the fault of the OL. Nearly impossible to overcome that many turnovers. Defensively, Seattle had a poor game plan and they seemed out of sorts. Example 1, Seattle never blitzed to get pressure on Rodgers. Seattle only rushed 4, and got no pressure that amounted to much. Rodgers got the ball out quickly, but when he needed time, he had up to 7 (seven) seconds in the pocket. That is an eternity no defense can withstand. Why Seattle didn't blitz is up to DC Chris Richard to answer. My guess is that besides no Earl, CB Shead and nickle Lane were out of sorts, so the DC I'm sure wanted to drop as many in coverage as possible. Problem is, it was not working. So blitz. That brings up Example 2, Something was up with CB Shead and/or Lane, but I think Shead. GB picked on him all night. Better than picking on Sherman, true. Now, nickle back Lane is a good slot corner, but not a good outside corner. Yet the really odd thing was that Shead and Lane swapped positions a few times. That kind of swapping should be a no-no, unless something is not right. Seattle got out coached and out executed. They got an azz whipping. So much for them hitting the gas pedal!
 
Re:

movingtarget said:
49ers once again show a complete inability to put together four quarters of football and after leading 17-3 on a day when even Phil Dawson was missing field goals their second half was laughable. Kaep had three good games but the last two have been simply dreadful and I doubt even the Jets would be interested in him at this stage. Even with Carlos Hyde running a personal best in rushing their offense and defense collapsed once again. It looks more and more like their GM will be gone and if Chip Kelly and Jim O'Neil survive it will be by a thread. Also talk that Rex Ryan will be gone from the Bills probably. The Browns coach is supposed to be staying but the the Jets coach may be out as well. Nice win by Green Bay.
True dumping Chip has been the talk of some up to now. There is also some talk he will survive this year. Jets HC Bowles should keep his job, even if the Jets seem to be a mess at times. I don't know about the Bills' Ryan. I have a hunch he stays. I'd definitely keep Hue Jackson as HC in Cleveland. I know they are Oh-fer 13 in the W/L column, but he's a good coach and just needs time. The ones I think are or should be on the bubble would be 1) Gus Bradley in JAX for sure, 2) CIN HC Marv Lewis - why he don't do better with that talent, and maybe 3) IND HC Chuck Pagano.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS