• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 352 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
If the NFL and 49ers let Foster slide, because he had a rough childhood I'll throw up.

Bring on the XFL. I'm ready for banning people like this.

One of the charges was dropped I think, one of the lesser ones. But he is in serious trouble if the reports are correct. It seems that Foster's version of events are much different to the police and his girlfriend. I think the 49ers were about to drop him but they have cut him some slack until the court case reveals the ugly truth. I think he's a goner. His father is already in prison for shooting his mother. Lynch knew the risks when drafting him and there have been issues since. But this will probably be the career ender. I don't see the prosecution cutting a deal with domestic violence issues and politicians as usual see these cases as vote winners or at least morality winners as with most celebrity or high profile cases.

Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
Alpe d'Huez said:
If the NFL and 49ers let Foster slide, because he had a rough childhood I'll throw up.

Bring on the XFL. I'm ready for banning people like this.

One of the charges was dropped I think, one of the lesser ones. But he is in serious trouble if the reports are correct. It seems that Foster's version of events are much different to the police and his girlfriend. I think the 49ers were about to drop him but they have cut him some slack until the court case reveals the ugly truth. I think he's a goner. His father is already in prison for shooting his mother. Lynch knew the risks when drafting him and there have been issues since. But this will probably be the career ender. I don't see the prosecution cutting a deal with domestic violence issues and politicians as usual see these cases as vote winners or at least morality winners as with most celebrity or high profile cases.
Sadly this kind of thing happens over and over and some of these cats just don't learn they will be held accountable and it could end their career. But I will still watch the NFL and not leave it over DV. For every negative report there are 5 positives. It's just that we do not hear about most of the positives.

For the most part I think rough childhood is not an excuse. It's real, especially in low socioeconomic areas. Incarcerated parent(s). Violent home life. Those kids telling school counselors they can handle it as long as the gym is open and they can blow off steam. Great! What if the gym doors are locked? Then what are you going to do when the learned pattern of coping is not available? Heated moments. Bad choices. Some of these kids need counseling help to cope. Some are the most resilient you'll ever find.

Re:

movingtarget said:
This is good news for player safety but it's just the beginning. VICIS sales are going to jump at Collegiate & NFL levels. But at 1500 bucks a pop it's not very affordable for youth levels through High School. Hopefully affordability at youth levels will improve. This is really going to put pressure on all of the other helmet manufacturers to match what VICIS is doing. Yay!

jmdirt said:
movingtarget said:
Good news: helmets are getting better at protecting TBI.
Middle news: helmets can't do it alone or "prevent" all.
Bad news: some players clearly aren't listening or don't care.

on3: the price dropped to $950, but that's still pretty high for many/most Middle/High Schools.
Thx for the update. So in a little over a year price has dropped over $500 to $950. Better. Maybe in another it'll drop another 500, putting price in a range affordable to some HSs.

on3m@n@rmy said:
jmdirt said:
movingtarget said:
Good news: helmets are getting better at protecting TBI.
Middle news: helmets can't do it alone or "prevent" all.
Bad news: some players clearly aren't listening or don't care.

on3: the price dropped to $950, but that's still pretty high for many/most Middle/High Schools.
Thx for the update. So in a little over a year price has dropped over $500 to $950. Better. Maybe in another it'll drop another 500, putting price in a range affordable to some HSs.
If I was the parent of HS player, I would spend the $950 to buy my kid one.

Big props to the Eagles for basically giving Nick Foles a raise. They didn't have to do anything, and instead just let him walk after this year as an UFA. To restructure his deal, with some extra cash, and make 2019 an option was a very generous thing to do. Also darned smart if Wentz doesn't heal quick enough, or has further injury issues.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000927753/article/nick-foles-eagles-agree-to-revised-deal-with-19-option

An increasing amount of people are saying the Browns are going to take Josh Allen with the top pick, due to the most potential, and a great arm. They could be right, but he also may need the most work, more than Darnold. A lot of pundits are also saying the Browns will trade out of #4 (especially if Barkley is taken 2nd or 3rd). CBS has them trading with New England, so the Pats can get Darnold!

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-mock-draft-patriots-land-sam-darnold-in-wild-draft-day-trade-with-browns/

Just six days to go.

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
Big props to the Eagles for basically giving Nick Foles a raise. They didn't have to do anything, and instead just let him walk after this year as an UFA. To restructure his deal, with some extra cash, and make 2019 an option was a very generous thing to do. Also darned smart if Wentz doesn't heal quick enough, or has further injury issues.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000927753/article/nick-foles-eagles-agree-to-revised-deal-with-19-option

An increasing amount of people are saying the Browns are going to take Josh Allen with the top pick, due to the most potential, and a great arm. They could be right, but he also may need the most work, more than Darnold. A lot of pundits are also saying the Browns will trade out of #4 (especially if Barkley is taken 2nd or 3rd). CBS has them trading with New England, so the Pats can get Darnold!

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-mock-draft-patriots-land-sam-darnold-in-wild-draft-day-trade-with-browns/

Just six days to go.

Seems like some egos are hurting at the Patriots lately. It's pretty clear now that Bill never wanted Jimmy to go after the amount of time that was spent on improving him. Not to mention what happened at the Super Bowl and the rumors about Gronk going, staying retiring etc......I would be surprised if Brady played more than one more season and if he does it may be without Bill.

Re:

Koronin said:
Almost draft time. As a Steelers fan not really sure what direction they're going to go in. Definitely need some help in several areas. Looking forward to the draft.
I'd say the area they need most help is defensive. Like: safety, edge rusher, linebackers in & out. After that they could go either offensive or defensive, like: OG, OC, RB, DT (1T), CB. I've seen a couple of mock drafts, and at #28 overall some think they'll take a CB, LB (note Shazier will not play in 2018), and S. Probably safety is highest priority.

The worst QBs drafted in the first round since 2000:
2016, Denver, Paxton Lynch
2014, Cleveland, Johnny Manziel
2013, Buffalo, EJ Manuel
2012, Cleveland, Brandon Weeden
2011, Minnesota, Christian Ponder
2011, Jacksonville, Blaine Gabbert
2011, Tennessee, Jake Locker
2010, Denver, Tim Tebow
2007, Cleveland, Brady Quinn
2007, Oakland, Jamarcus Russell
2006, Arizona, Matt Leinart
2006, Tennessee, Vince Young
2004. Buffalo, JP Losman
2003, Baltimore, Kyle Boller
2002, Washington, Patrick Ramsey
2002, Detroit, Joey Harrington
2002, Houston, David Carr
(link: http://thesportsdrop.com/the-worst-...NFL&utm_content=Bleacher+Report+(Turner+U.S.))

So, can Cleveland screw up drafting a QB this time? Rumor according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter: Baker Mayfield 'Definitely' in Play for Browns at No. 1 (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ayfield-definitely-in-play-for-browns-at-no-1). Go figure. I'm gobsmacked. They can’t really be considering Mayfield at #1 overall, can they? Then again, it is Cleveland.

on3m@n@rmy said:
2013, Buffalo, EJ Manuel
2010, Denver, Tim Tebow
2004. Buffalo, JP Losman
(link: http://thesportsdrop.com/the-worst-...NFL&utm_content=Bleacher+Report+(Turner+U.S.))

So, can Cleveland screw up drafting a QB this time? Rumor according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter: Baker Mayfield 'Definitely' in Play for Browns at No. 1 (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ayfield-definitely-in-play-for-browns-at-no-1). Go figure. I'm gobsmacked. They can’t really be considering Mayfield at #1 overall, can they? Then again, it is Cleveland.
IMO Mayfield has as much potential/chance to be a solid QB as the others in the discussion.

on3m@n@rmy said:
2013, Buffalo, EJ Manuel
2010, Denver, Tim Tebow
2004. Buffalo, JP Losman
(link: http://thesportsdrop.com/the-worst-...NFL&utm_content=Bleacher+Report+(Turner+U.S.)).
Funny list...but how could Mark Sanchez be left off? *#5* overall in 2009. He had a couple of good seasons early on but has done nothing but crash & burn since becoming a journeyman. Remember in 2016 Elway signed him to a 2 year deal and then released before the season even started after losing the starting job in competition against only Siemian & Lynch. Lol. Last year he didn't play one down with Chicago and was released! Now he's a free agent and was just given a 4-game whack for a PED positive. What a downward spiral.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000926452/article/freeagent-qb-mark-sanchez-suspended-four-games

TRENDING THREADS