• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 359 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

jmdirt said:
I'm still concerned about SEA O line!
An undrafted rook Raider is running hard...I like it when a few undrafted guys show up big.
Too busy for me to watch the game this weekend so I only saw two tweeted plays. Play one: right tackle Ifedi was beat by inside rush on a pass play. Then play 2: Ifedi beat outside. Eureka! Bust is probably coming. But I will see what I think after I watch the recorded version.

Re: Re:

on3m@n@rmy said:
leftover pie said:
Not sure about his chances though, I know the Seahawks had trouble with their kicker last year, but Ryan has been pretty solid for them.

Perhaps Dickson should pack up and head to the Browns - he could be the difference maker!!
Well, it's final. Seattle released punter Jon Ryan today apparently after he requested his release so he'd have more time to find another team. This means Aussie Michael Dickson has won the punting job.

Seattle also released kicker Jason Meyers, making SeaBass (Janikowski) the new kicker.

huzzah ! well done dickson - future HOF punter, revolutionising the game one bent-leg kick at a time :)

I kinda wish dustin fletcher had had a chance to play in the NFL, really could have been something, he kept the spiral punt alive when most were trying to coach it out of the game for it being too risky:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnPQ2aKpj-c

As we enter the third week of the preseason, this is the week most of the projected starters both start, and play. While the preseason W-L means nothing (the Eagles are 0-3), you do get a better look at how things may pan out. After this week I'll try to start making predictions and thoughts on how this season might look, and would welcome that from others too. Right now, my general thoughts are:

The NFC has better teams.
The Packers-Vikings games should be fun.
Houston-Jacksonville should be a rivalry to watch, not seen in years, if ever.
The Patriots will still somehow be really good.
The Browns won't go 0-16. Their D alone may win a few games.
It won't be long before the top 4 QB's drafted will be starting.

AP still has it. Not many guys could come off of the couch (at any age) and look that good.
Humphies (Bucs) with a lot of nice moves on a 109 yard FG return for TD.
Also Bucs, Barber runs hard.
The Eagles could drive, but not finish (well they could finish with turn-overs).
I'm still not thrilled with the SEA offense.

First time I can recall the NFL using positive reinforcement as a way to improve player safety (or anything for that matter) and change the culture surrounding tackling technique.
https://seahawkswire.usatoday.com/2018/08/27/nfl-announces-new-way-to-play-award/
An award exemplifying the correct way to play will be announced each week.
A panel consisting of Ed Hochuli, Merril Hoge, Ronnie Lott, Willie McGinest, Orlando Pace and Chuck Pagano will then select the winner, which will be announced on NFL Network’s Good Morning Football show every Thursday morning.

The winners will receive a $2,500 grant through USA Football to provide equipment to a local youth or high school football program of that player’s choice.
Hopefully that will inspire jar heads, who this preseason have continued to show disdain for the new tackling rule by using the crown of the helmet (etc) to tackle, to change ways. (And hopefully players are not inspired in opposite direction by things such as Bountygate, which I hope is a dead horse.)

Re:

jmdirt said:
AP still has it. Not many guys could come off of the couch (at any age) and look that good.
Humphies (Bucs) with a lot of nice moves on a 109 yard FG return for TD.
Also Bucs, Barber runs hard.
The Eagles could drive, but not finish (well they could finish with turn-overs).
I'm still not thrilled with the SEA offense.
Seattle OL, especially Ifedi, improved vs the Vikes. But Ifedi did not have to go against the likes of the Chargers Melvin Ingram, who did anything he wanted vs Ifedi (beating him inside, outside, and putting him on his ars), and play calling vs the Vikes may have hidden the areas Ifedi is weak at. Wilson has not had to run for his life, but this is preseason. I'm waiting for midseason of the regular season judge.

Re: Re:

leftover pie said:
on3m@n@rmy said:
leftover pie said:
Not sure about his chances though, I know the Seahawks had trouble with their kicker last year, but Ryan has been pretty solid for them.

Perhaps Dickson should pack up and head to the Browns - he could be the difference maker!!
Well, it's final. Seattle released punter Jon Ryan today apparently after he requested his release so he'd have more time to find another team. This means Aussie Michael Dickson has won the punting job.

Seattle also released kicker Jason Meyers, making SeaBass (Janikowski) the new kicker.

huzzah ! well done dickson - future HOF punter, revolutionising the game one bent-leg kick at a time :)

I kinda wish dustin fletcher had had a chance to play in the NFL, really could have been something, he kept the spiral punt alive when most were trying to coach it out of the game for it being too risky:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnPQ2aKpj-c
Here's the latest on what they are saying about Dickson. Just tap the play button after the link loads (if it does not auto-play for you):
http://www.nfl.com/videos/good-morn...-Dickson-s-punting-style-is-insane-and-unique

Raiders draft this year appears to be orders of magnitude better than any since they lucked into Mack (thanks Jags) and got Carr and Jackson. The D-line drafts of Hall, Hurst, and Key look scary good, and Kolton Miller is starting at left tackle. We'll see how the latter goes. Nick Nelson also looks like a great add to the defensive backfield, and Fadol Brown has flashed some serious talent on the D-Line as well.

The offensive line is a big question mark. But many is it a different-looking defense under Paul Guenther. Would be nice to see a team out there that actually has a defense.

Aaron Rodgers extension has been inked, and the numbers are staggering. $134 over 4 years, or $33m a year, with a whopping $98m of that guaranteed. Granted, $57m of that is in a signing bonus, and presuming he plays at least 1 snap this season (if I read it right), he'll have $80m in his pocket by March. As much money as this seems, over the long haul it's somehow friendly to the Packers, with Rogers and his agent working step-by-step with the team to help them out as well. In fact, in the years 2018, 2019 and 2020, his base salary will only be $1,1m, with the rest of it in a variety of bonuses.

This article talks about Russel Wilson and how he's next on the list of guys to be signed extensions. But I don't know that he's in the position that Rogers is. Aaron has won MVP's, it's well known he does things no other QB does, ever really. There was also questions at the time of Russ's contract that his big payout helped break the team, to the point where they now are forced to rebuild, and look like a 7-9 team maybe. So I don't think he'll have quite the leverage that Rogers does. Though to be candid as well, the Seahawks really overspent on the LOD defenders, more than Russ, and really underspent on lines, especially the OL.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-inside-aaron-rodgers-new-contract-and-what-it-means-for-russell-wilson/

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
Aaron Rodgers extension has been inked, and the numbers are staggering. $134 over 4 years, or $33m a year, with a whopping $98m of that guaranteed. Granted, $57m of that is in a signing bonus, and presuming he plays at least 1 snap this season (if I read it right), he'll have $80m in his pocket by March. As much money as this seems, over the long haul it's somehow friendly to the Packers, with Rogers and his agent working step-by-step with the team to help them out as well. In fact, in the years 2018, 2019 and 2020, his base salary will only be $1,1m, with the rest of it in a variety of bonuses.

This article talks about Russel Wilson and how he's next on the list of guys to be signed extensions. But I don't know that he's in the position that Rogers is. Aaron has won MVP's, it's well known he does things no other QB does, ever really. There was also questions at the time of Russ's contract that his big payout helped break the team, to the point where they now are forced to rebuild, and look like a 7-9 team maybe. So I don't think he'll have quite the leverage that Rogers does. Though to be candid as well, the Seahawks really overspent on the LOD defenders, more than Russ, and really underspent on lines, especially the OL.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-inside-aaron-rodgers-new-contract-and-what-it-means-for-russell-wilson/
I have no argument that AR is great, but there is no way that he is worth that kind of money (well IMO no one is).

SEA didn't 'see' that spending too much on a QB and nothing on an O line wasn't a good strategy. The new D might be better than the LoD. I was thinking 10-6 or 9-7, but your 7-9 could happen too if RW has to be THE O again.

The Seahawks, despite all the trouble, the injuries, the missed FG's (which cost them 2-3 games for sure) almost made the playoffs. Just the missed FG's did them in.

If they are more healthy this year, and Janikowski (still a weird choice for the Hawks for me...) is better than Walsh was last year, then I think they can make the playoffs, which means equalling or bettering 9-7.

I haven't paid too much attention to the preseason, but I am hearing positive signs for them. I realize they lost all 4 games, but things may be looking up...

BullsFan22 said:
The Seahawks, despite all the trouble, the injuries, the missed FG's (which cost them 2-3 games for sure) almost made the playoffs. Just the missed FG's did them in.

If they are more healthy this year, and Janikowski (still a weird choice for the Hawks for me...) is better than Walsh was last year, then I think they can make the playoffs, which means equalling or bettering 9-7.

I haven't paid too much attention to the preseason, but I am hearing positive signs for them. I realize they lost all 4 games, but things may be looking up...
I don't put too much weight on pre season record because a lot/most of the points come in tryout time. SEA is tough to compare to last year because there are a lot of changes, but as I said above the D has potential to be better, but the O has potential to be the same.

Agree no player is worth Rogers contract, Mack or Arnold's either. But the way things are currently set up, if he doesn't get it, the money goes to the owners, or other teammates - who negotiate on their own, and it sounds like Rogers himself was doing all he could to help the team salary cap wise over the next few seasons so they have money to spend on other players. Arnold or Mack I don't know.

As to the Raiders trading Mack, this was a tough pill to swallow to me, you simply don't trade away one of the best players in the NFL in their prime. However, the Bears paid a king's ransom to get him. And Gruden has to be licking his chops at all the draft picks he can get to build his team. 2019 first-round pick, 2020 first-round pick, 2020 third-round pick, 2019 sixth-round pick. This all while the Bears look like an average team, in a very tough division. They gave up their 2020 second round pick. Plus all the money they saved.

More Raider info, with both Connor Cook and EJ Manual playing poorly in pre-season (especially Manuel from what I saw, surprisingly how inaccurate he was), the team cut both and traded away a 6th round pick to get AJ McCarron from the Bills. Though he wasn't leaps and bounds above them from what I saw out of his play in Buffalo.

This also tells me the Bills are okay with a total season or more of rebuilding, and okay having Nate Peterman start and lose a few games before Allen takes over and starts the long career of hope there. From what I've seen from Buffalo though, their OL is in need of real help, as is much of the rest of the team. They look like four wins may be all they get.

The Steelers see so much in Rudolph they cut Landry Jones, who had been a solid backup for the last few years. Despite how well they played last year, and the Steelers are always good or excellent or SB winning great, they look like a team with some issues to me. That means they look like a 10-6 team who will still be dangerous late in the season.

Christen Hackenberg cut by the Eagles. All that potential he had, he couldn't even beat out Nate Sudfield for the third QB position, when Sudfield is highly likely to be pushed to the practice squad once Wentz is back to full strength.

I wonder if there's something more going on with Mack than what is being revealed. Maybe he doesn't want to play for Gruden unless he gets that insane $$$ he wanted where Oakland figured it just wasn't worth it. Nonetheless it's devastating - analogous to the Broncos traded Miller.

On Buffalo; stupid, IMO, to start 5-pick Peterman instead of Allen. If Peterman was that good, that worthy, that great, etc. then why the heck did Buffalo pay a hefty price to Tampa Bay and trade up from 12th pick to the 7th and select Allen? And if you say the Bills "look like four wins may be all they get," then heck, they might as well start Allen and give him the experience from the get-go in what I guess you're characterizing as a rebuilding year for the Bills.

Last but not least, but not earth shattering news; Elway cuts Lynch...again no surprises there. What's egregious is the Broncos get absolutely nothing for him and Elway looks like he doesn't know to draft QBs as well as one would think. He was the Broncos only player taken in the 1st rd of the 2016 draft and Lynch will probably go down as one of the top 15 or so 1st rd QB busts. That leaves Elway with Kelly and newly acquired Kevin Hogan as the backups. If Keenum were to go down for any considerable length of time, it's all over in Bronco land.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2793718-paxton-lynch-reportedly-cut-by-broncos-after-kevin-hogan-waiver-claim

My only guess on the Bills is that their OL is so bad, they don't want to see Allen get sacked and hurt? Or they question his ability to lose a heap of games, and have it negatively affect his confidence? Either way, same as you, I really can't see Peterman taking them anywhere, and I can't see Allen sitting on the bench long, unless Peterman somehow puts together a string of wins (off the charts odds of that happening).

Agree on Elway. I think he's overconfident in his abilities there. Though he has put together very solid defenses. Still, I don't see Keenum leading them far, and while that division is fairly weak right now, I will be surprised if they make the playoffs.

Season predictions soon.

Here are my 2018 predictions.

The NFC is stacked with quality, deep teams. The AFC is lopsided, with plenty of teams rebuilding. I'll start with the AFC, by division. I may skip a few teams.

The Patriots are still the cream of the crop, I don't care who they lost at any position other than Brady. With he and Belicheck still at a high level, this team will win a lot of games, and go deep in the playoffs. The other three teams in the east are rebuilding, each looking like maybe 4-12 teams with the Jets maybe winning a few more. Curious how well Darnold does.

The Steelers are similar. They have a lot of experience, and know how when it comes to close games and the playoffs. I think they will lose a few games, maybe going 10-6, but will still be there or close at the end. The Ravens may make the playoffs and push them. The Bengals and Browns will struggle, but the Browns will show signs of life.

The Chargers are the best team in the AFC West, probably. The Chiefs may be the most fun to watch though. I At least on offense. Broncos have a good defense, and the Raiders, having traded Mack, head into a rebuild of sorts to make the team Gruden's in 2019 and beyond as Carr enters his prime.

Jacksonville has maybe the best defense in the NFL, but not much offense. I can't wait to see what Watson can do back for Houston, and I hope Watt can stay healthy. The Titans are iffy and under a new coach, and the Colts rebuilding, hoping Luck can stay healthy.

The best team in the AFC is New England, and while Jacksonville, Pittsburgh and maybe a healthy Houston are likely to give them trouble, I'm fairly confident saying I can see them playing in the Super Bowl yet again.

NFC

In the east the Eagles have to still be the favorites, but behind them the Cowboys, Giants and Washington all look like they could go 10-6, or 6-10. Barkley may be fun to watch in NY. I see Philly struggling at times, but still have the depth to win the division.

The Rams are the cream of the west, deep, and young. The 49ers will make a splash in some games, but not the way Garappolo played the season out. Wilson can carry Seattle, but their OL and DL look questionable. I do agree with others though that there is promise on the defense, but a fair amount of if's. Arizona is all defense, with a weak OL. Curious when Rosen starts, and how he does.

In the South this division has two superb teams in New Orleans, and Atlanta, with Carolina capable of winning a lot as well. Only Tampa is weak here. But both the Saints and Falcons are experienced, well coached, and deep with talent on both sides of the ball. Atlanta just not quite as consistent as NO though.

The north is equally stacked. The Vikings are very deep, and Cousins a step up from Keenum at QB. Teams that play like they did last year, coming so close, but retaining or increasing talent, tend to keep that momentum. Green Bay has Rogers back, a likely more open playbook, and better overall talent and may blow some people out. The Bears adding Mack just adds to the fun of this division, though I don't see them truly contending yet. Even the Lions don't stink, they're just stuck in this division.

In the NFC I think the quintet of Rams, Vikings, Packers, Saints and Falcons are all potentially equally good. Any of these teams could finish 13-3, even having to play each other, that's how good they are. I'm going to stick with experience, and pick the Saints to rise above the others and go to, and win the Super Bowl over the Patriots. Unless the Vikings get over the hump, or the Rams do, or Rogers mows teams down late, or Jacksonville comes alive on offense, or the Steelers...

MVP: Aaron Rogers
DPOY: Aaron Donald
ROY: Baker Mayfield

As little as a week ago RGIII was on the bubble to potentially be cut, even though he played fairly well in the preseason, and as the deadline approached, his name did come up in some trade calls. I have to say I'm really happy for him, he didn't play a down last year, and the previous two years played only a few games.

Here's an article from USA Today about why Peterman is starting over Josh Allen in Buffalo. The two most simple answers are he outplayed him throughout the preseason, going back to summer camp, and that he gets rid of the ball quick (behind a very sketchy OL).

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/bills/2018/09/03/nathan-peterman-buffalo-bills-josh-allen/1186239002/

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
As little as a week ago RGIII was on the bubble to potentially be cut, even though he played fairly well in the preseason, and as the deadline approached, his name did come up in some trade calls. I have to say I'm really happy for him, he didn't play a down last year, and the previous two years played only a few games.

Here's an article from USA Today about why Peterman is starting over Josh Allen in Buffalo. The two most simple answers are he outplayed him throughout the preseason, going back to summer camp, and that he gets rid of the ball quick (behind a very sketchy OL).

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/bills/2018/09/03/nathan-peterman-buffalo-bills-josh-allen/1186239002/
Yeah I don't think anyone sees Peterman as the future, but I'd agree with coach McDermott's decision at this point. As for outplaying Allen so far, there is a reason for it, which McDermott summarized as "Nate has earned the right". Remember last November Nate played poorly, but what I'm hearing is that he has made a ton of progress in the offseason to prepare for 2018. Also, several weeks ago Allen was #3 on the depth chart before the McCarron trade. So there's no real surprise when the coach says Peterman has earned the right. I like the fact McDermott has not simply gifted Allen with the starting job and is making him earn it as well, which will sit better with players - again - at this point.

jmdirt said:
BullsFan22 said:

I don't put too much weight on pre season record because a lot/most of the points come in tryout time. SEA is tough to compare to last year because there are a lot of changes, but as I said above the D has potential to be better, but the O has potential to be the same.
Yeah, in fact some think Seattle is one of the bigger question marks heading into this season (e.g. they could go 11-5, or they could go 5-11). I don't get pro football focus, but someone who does tweeted the Seattle OL preseason rankings on PFF (based on preseason games) going all the way back to 2011. The previous 2 years they were ranked 32nd, and 30th (3-way tie for last), but this year are 17th. I can't verify if that is true or someone's hopeful wish, but if it is true that is a huge improvement, although still not enough to overcome better defenses. A lot will depend on how healthy they can remain, but again, like you, preseason rankings don't mean much. The old LOB, back in 2012 you could see the potential but I could not put them on a pedestal until they went out and proved it. Same with this OL.

TRENDING THREADS