• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 360 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Is Ryan Tannehill a decent starting quarterback? Because he's your guy. He will be handing the ball off to Kenyan Drake, Brandon Bolden (cut by NE) and the ageless, but aged, Frank Gore. his best receiver is probably DeVante Parker, who is hurt. Danny Amendola is coming off two season where Tom Brady extended his career in NE. They have one very good left tackle on the OL (Laremy Tunsil) and that's it for their offense.

Their defense is worse, without question. I don't need to tell you who they lost, and that they didn't get anyone.

Think, rebuild, as their coach is still young and smart.

If there is one bright spot, it's that they play in a division with the Jets (rebuilding, new QB) and Bills (heading down into a rebuild). They also play Tennessee (new coach) at home in week 1, and the rebuilding Raiders in week 3. Later in the season they play the Packers, Bears, Vikings, Texans, Jaguars, etc. Here's a link you may like:

https://www.thephinsider.com/2018/7/5/17269426/way-too-optimistic-2018-miami-dolphins-win-loss-predictions

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
Is Ryan Tannehill a decent starting quarterback? Because he's your guy. He will be handing the ball off to Kenyan Drake, Brandon Bolden (cut by NE) and the ageless, but aged, Frank Gore. his best receiver is probably DeVante Parker, who is hurt. Danny Amendola is coming off two season where Tom Brady extended his career in NE. They have one very good left tackle on the OL (Laremy Tunsil) and that's it for their offense.

Their defense is worse, without question. I don't need to tell you who they lost, and that they didn't get anyone.

Think, rebuild, as their coach is still young and smart.

If there is one bright spot, it's that they play in a division with the Jets (rebuilding, new QB) and Bills (heading down into a rebuild). They also play Tennessee (new coach) at home in week 1, and the rebuilding Raiders in week 3. Later in the season they play the Packers, Bears, Vikings, Texans, Jaguars, etc. Here's a link you may like:

https://www.thephinsider.com/2018/7/5/17269426/way-too-optimistic-2018-miami-dolphins-win-loss-predictions

Cheers for that Alpe. Don't think he's too bad if healthy. As for the rest, I don't really follow the NFL until the season starts so it gives me a good start to catch up.

Here's my week 1 predictions. Recall last year there were some surprises in week 1. For example the Chiefs blew out the Patriots on long passes by Alex Smith. The Browns also darned near beat the Steelers.

ATL@PHI - Both teams could go 13-3 or 9-7. I like Atlanta in an upset, with Foles having an average game. These teams played in the divisional playoff last year, with the Eagles winning 15-10. Foles "worst" playoff game last year.

BUF@BAL - Better team, at home
JAX@NYG - Look for some nice runs by Barkley, but a defensive win by Jax.
TB@NO - Saints really good, TB not.
HOU@NE - Last season this was a thrilling game, hope for the same.
SF@MIN - Garappolo's win streak ends here.
TEN@MIA - Just for Ferryman.
CIN@IND - As Lucky as they are to have him back, the Colts have numerous issues.
PIT@CLE - Wouldn't it be great if... Nah, can't pick them.
KC@LAC - Better team, at home.
SEA@DEN Home team.
DAL@CAR Home team.
WAS@ARI Home team, Cards lack O though, but Skins have other issues.
CHI@GB With Mack in town...but how fit and ready is he? Packers are stacked.

NYJ@DET - Both teams in transition, went with home team.
LAR@OAK - Okay, Rams really should win, but I have to pick an upset, right?

I'm not going to analyze it in detail, game by game, but if you look at the entire schedule through week 4, it's ripe for some head scratching results and standings just a month into the season. We easily could see teams that are 3-1 not make the playoffs, or vice-versa, maybe even 4-0/0-4. As well as some lopsided stats from teams, and players that throw a lot of experts and analysts off.

OK game for an opener, especially from two teams who really used the pre season for tryouts more than anything. It was sloppy with bright spots, but now these two need to use their 12 day gap to get ready for the season.

Hard to argue with Alpe's picks, but just for fun: DAL over CAR (Idaho kid plays huge), CHI over GB (Mack crushes), SEA over DEN (they're my team!:)

CHI vs GB is the battle of the massive new contracts!

I hope that Bell holds out for the entire season...for my sake not his.

Just watched the highlights of the Eagles Falcons season opener. Nothing special, not a bad game, certainly some entertaining moments and good that the opener went down to the final play. The play itself wasn't bad, just a bit too much, but the Falcons weren't too far off from pulling it off. I liked the trick play that saw Foles used as a TE/WE. Good that he didn't try anything too fancy, otherwise he would have been hit hard.

Not yet sure of my picks. Will get something later on.

Re:

jmdirt said:
OK game for an opener, especially from two teams who really used the pre season for tryouts more than anything. It was sloppy with bright spots, but now these two need to use their 12 day gap to get ready for the season.

Hard to argue with Alpe's picks, but just for fun: DAL over CAR (Idaho kid plays huge), CHI over GB (Mack crushes), SEA over DEN (they're my team!:)
That's going to be a tough order - the Broncos have only lost 1 home opener this century. The last time Seattle played at the Big D was 2010 where they lost 31-14 with Hasselbeck at the helm. I think it'll be a much closer game and more low scoring this time around though. I'll take the Broncos by a FG :) We'll have to see how injuries play out also - I have a feeling this is going to be a bad year for major injuries in the NFL.

Yeah, game was just average. Both teams had sloppy play, and I'm sure in the film room they are watching it thinking they had a few chances to pretty much put the game away, only to not do so.

In some real bad news for the Falcons, they lost safety Keanu Neal to a torn ACL for the season. He was their best DB, and a key component of their defense. I compare this to a year ago when Chiefs star safety Eric Berry was lost to a torn Achilles on opening night. The Chiefs defense was never quite the same the rest of the year.

Shocker of the week for me...Fitzpatrick and TB. I didn't think they had that in them.
Rodgers adds another story to his career.
CLE won't be 0-16.
Several young QBs look pretty good, as do several of the traded vets.
AP in Wash looked young.
Luck seems to be healthy.

SEA has to protect RW better.
Lots of first game sloppiness.
Having games end in a tie is just silly.

That was a shock. Fitzpatrick threw better than he likely ever has, which makes me wonder if Winston will ever get his job back. The staff has even said as much before this game, saying they wouldn't put up with anyone's BS and were dedicated to winning, with or without Winston. Well, they sure showed it. Having said that, it was stunning how poorly the Saints defense played. They were quite solid all last season, and have young players you expected to actually improve (well, I expected). Still, credit TB.

Browns were still lucky. Their offense was anemic, but their defense looks for real. Between that, and the Steelers offensive mistakes with six turnovers, it's hard to call this a moral victory for them. They really should have won the game. Taylor kept drives alive with his legs, much more than his arm, though conditions were sloppy. Next week they play at New Orleans, then back home against the Jets. If we don't see something out of Taylor's arm, I think it's quite possible Mayfield plays, or even starts against New York.

Agree, lots of first game sloppiness. That was very evident on many teams, not just Saints and Steelers.

Tom Brady is the GOAT, another great game. But Aaron Rogers is just superman. What he did was once again, jaw dropping heroic playing. Overshadowed a generally solid game by the Bears defense and maybe Trubiski's best game as a pro. The Packers look stacked, and dangerous.

I wasn't right on all my predictions, but I was right on Barkley for the Giants. One very impressive run, some other flashes, mixed with struggles to get much done against the Jags defense. Decent game for Eli in a loss, as good as any last year, despite a couple really bad throws. He helped them move the ball and kept them in the game. I like the Giants to win some games this year and step up with Barkley. But that division is not a wash.

Gruden says that in so many words Mack didn't want to play for the Raiders, which is why he was traded. But he also said that what Chicago was offering was no where near what the Raiders could make happen. Still, when we watch the Raider defense struggle this season, we'll know why. Just sayin'.

Saw all highlights from all the games. Really fun watching the Chiefs on offense. Hill is so exciting, and Mahomes off to a great start. I was impressed their defense held strong against a sloppy Chargers team, but still, the better team won.

Agree that Adrien Peterson looked young again, and the Cards were supposed to be all defense. At times Alex Smith was completely shredding them as well.

Looking forward to see how well Sam Darnold plays tonight, and just how good the Rams are, and some of the grimaces on Gruden's face. Never the less, I'm still a Raiders fan and expect some good play from them at times. But the Rams are stacked.

As to the Lions, one thing I wanted to say about the Patriots is that after losing Matt Patricia one's initial thought was that the Patriots defense might struggle this year, plus losing some players. That wasn't the case at all, after all, they have Belicheck and their defense had his stamp on it. Their OL held up quite good as well. The Patriots are still the class of the AFC. I mean NFL.

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
That was a shock. Fitzpatrick threw better than he likely ever has, which makes me wonder if Winston will ever get his job back. The staff has even said as much before this game, saying they wouldn't put up with anyone's BS and were dedicated to winning, with or without Winston. Well, they sure showed it. Having said that, it was stunning how poorly the Saints defense played. They were quite solid all last season, and have young players you expected to actually improve (well, I expected). Still, credit TB.

Browns were still lucky. Their offense was anemic, but their defense looks for real. Between that, and the Steelers offensive mistakes with six turnovers, it's hard to call this a moral victory for them. They really should have won the game. Taylor kept drives alive with his legs, much more than his arm, though conditions were sloppy. Next week they play at New Orleans, then back home against the Jets. If we don't see something out of Taylor's arm, I think it's quite possible Mayfield plays, or even starts against New York.

Agree, lots of first game sloppiness. That was very evident on many teams, not just Saints and Steelers.

Tom Brady is the GOAT, another great game. But Aaron Rogers is just superman. What he did was once again, jaw dropping heroic playing. Overshadowed a generally solid game by the Bears defense and maybe Trubiski's best game as a pro. The Packers look stacked, and dangerous.

I wasn't right on all my predictions, but I was right on Barkley for the Giants. One very impressive run, some other flashes, mixed with struggles to get much done against the Jags defense. Decent game for Eli in a loss, as good as any last year, despite a couple really bad throws. He helped them move the ball and kept them in the game. I like the Giants to win some games this year and step up with Barkley. But that division is not a wash.

Six turnovers and the Browns still can't win. Big Ben also helped. He looked pretty bad and slow. Browns running game with Chubb and Hyde looks good. Garrett was very good. Tyrod Taylor always looks better when he runs the ball. Reminds of Kaep in that way. Browns should have won the game.

49ers the usual with injuries and Jimmy G was off his game. Bad throws and dropped balls cost them badly.

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
Gruden says that in so many words Mack didn't want to play for the Raiders, which is why he was traded. But he also said that what Chicago was offering was no where near what the Raiders could make happen. Still, when we watch the Raider defense struggle this season, we'll know why. Just sayin'.
Looking forward to see how well Sam Darnold plays tonight, and just how good the Rams are, and some of the grimaces on Gruden's face. Never the less, I'm still a Raiders fan and expect some good play from them at times. But the Rams are stacked.
quite a few of those...

Just want to say I'm really impressed by my team the Buffalo Bills.
I love the rope-a-dope strategy used in the first three quarters.
They basically lulled the Ravens into a stupor before...wait now...Bam!. A field goal as time ran down.
Impressive stuff.
Can't wait for week 2!

Funny! Unfortunately, the Bills don't have the luxury of playing the Browns this year. In fact, their schedule is pretty ugly. The division they face is the NFC Central. They play, in order: Chargers, @Min, @GB, Ten, @Hou, @Ind, NE, Chi, @NYJ, Jax, @MIA, NYJ, Det, @NE, Mia.

At best, at best, I see them winning 5 games. Maybe. They could easily go 2-14.

Convinced Thursday night games are the way to go for the entire season, and don't need to come after a rest week, I expect tomorrows game between the Ravens and Bengals to be messy, and I just hope no one gets hurt.

"NFL head coaches in their first year with their team finished Week 1 with an 0-7 record. It's the worst record by a group of new head coaches in NFL history."

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/2018/09/11/nfls-new-head-coaches-go-0-7-week-1/1267915002/

Kinda funny seeing Gruden losing the home opener on that dreaded combo football/baseball field (I thought I was watching a game back in the 80s. Lol). I think Oakland is going to tank again this year (below 500) and Gruden may wish he stayed in the MNF booth (they looked terrible and fatigue in the 2nd half). I see Denver & KC fighting it out for the division, barring injuries to thier QBs. And speaking of QBs, the Gunslinger looked great in his debut.

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
Funny! Unfortunately, the Bills don't have the luxury of playing the Browns this year. In fact, their schedule is pretty ugly. The division they face is the NFC Central. They play, in order: Chargers, @Min, @GB, Ten, @Hou, @Ind, NE, Chi, @NYJ, Jax, @MIA, NYJ, Det, @NE, Mia.

At best, at best, I see them winning 5 games. Maybe. They could easily go 2-14.

Convinced Thursday night games are the way to go for the entire season, and don't need to come after a rest week, I expect tomorrows game between the Ravens and Bengals to be messy, and I just hope no one gets hurt.

Ugh, thanks for the reminder. That schedule looks absolutely depressing. Normally I'd try to joke about the team running the table and going all the way to the top, but no--can't do it. I can't convince myself to suspend disbelief.
I'm beginning to think that the garden gnome, camo-wearing coach is not the brightest log on the yuletide fire. I'm beginning to think people are starting to catch on to the smartest-guy-in-the-room persona the coach likes to present and consider throwing him out there at quarterback in week 7. (Pegula? You there? Hello...?)
Oh well, at least I will continue to enjoy watching highlights of a bunch of dimwits get body-slammed on a blazing fire during tail-gate parties.
Go Bills!

TRENDING THREADS