• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 378 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

on3m@n@rmy said:
jmdirt said:
Upon further review the ball was tipped (as noted several times above), so we should be talking about great special team play by the Eagles.

As much as I wanted to blame Jani for the SEA loss, there was too much to go around: the O couldn't move the ball, and the D couldn't stop EE.
I can't blame Seabass (Jani) either. Total team loss.

As to the tipped ball, I heard that talked about, watched some video, but my own eyes could not clearly see the tip as it happened so fast at game speed, although I admit the tipping hand & ball were in close proximity to each other. I take the word of others who say it was tipped as truth. A low kick still could be put partly on the kicker (the placement & hold looked good), but the tip could also be partly on the blocking and partly on a great defending play. Who knows, maybe the outdoor turf in that spot did not provide the best footing for the kicker's plant foot, though nobody appears to have mentioned that.
I couldn't tell from the TV coverage either, but the NFL changed it from a miss to a tip/block so I'm assuming that they saw something?

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
I can only repeat what I wrote before from what Troy Aikman said. Kickers face more pressure than any other position in football, even the quarterback.
and some fans are silly enough to think that an entire game is lost on just one incident, conveniently forgetting about the other 59minutes

Archibald said:
...and some fans are silly enough to think that an entire game is lost on just one incident, conveniently forgetting about the other 59minutes
Exactly. Plus, as the old saying goes, it's a game of inches.

Which reminds me of what Brock once said to me. I'll paraphrase: Your team needs a good QB, they need playmakers on both sides of the ball, but play to play, down after down, games are won and lost at the line of scrimmage. It's that extra 12 inches of a hole the OL opens up for a RB, or an extra half-second they consistently can, or can't give in protection for the QB, that's what wins and loses games more than anything, and certainly more than a single play by any player.

What I haven't seen is anyone state the pressure kickers have in the playoffs as well going for a kick. Especially if their team is losing and this kick could either tie or win the game in the last couple seconds. That is a lot of pressure as the whole season relies on them in that moment. Tough loss but the Bears can learn from this to get better.

I believe Colts, Patriots, Cowboys, and Saints will win settimg up Brady vs Brees in the Super Bowl.

The game I am looking forward to the most is Rams and Cowboys. Two great running backs, two young QBs, quite different in their styles. The Cowboys defense looks superior and the Rams who are so much better on offense since Fisher left are not the same defensively, of course Donald is a playmaker and should keep Prescott busy. Many seem to think it's the Cowboys game to lose but I think back to the Colts game a few weeks ago...........as for the Patriots, they could make the Super Bowl but instinct more than anything tells me that it's not happening this year. Snow predicted for the Patriots game. Colts and Kansas should also be very interesting. I think the Saints will win and expect the other game to be very close.

Re:

movingtarget said:
The game I am looking forward to the most is Rams and Cowboys. Two great running backs, two young QBs, quite different in their styles. The Cowboys defense looks superior and the Rams who are so much better on offense since Fisher left are not the same defensively, of course Donald is a playmaker and should keep Prescott busy. Many seem to think it's the Cowboys game to lose but I think back to the Colts game a few weeks ago.
I'm curious to see how Gurley's pulled up. If he's 100% then the rams will fire, and cowboys D will struggle. But if he's not, then their offense may struggle. I still think that it may hinge more on Donald, Suh n Co. They seem to come up with a few plays each game that allows the rams to keep puting their noses in front... if that makes sense

Saturday games are two teams that struggled then came on vs. two teams who were RED HOT and then cooled a little. It should make for good football. The bolts struggled early too but also came on (start 0 and 4 in a 12 win season?!) and play a Pats team that is unlike others in recent memory. The Super Bowl Champs are hanging in there after their own struggles (and with NF again) and the only team left with less than 10 wins face a Saints team that stumbled out of the blocks, but then looked pretty solid and found ways to win even when they didn't.

Interesting web of W/L among this last group.

I'll take KC, Dal, LAC and PHI.

Re:

movingtarget said:
The game I am looking forward to the most is Rams and Cowboys. Two great running backs, two young QBs, quite different in their styles. The Cowboys defense looks superior and the Rams who are so much better on offense since Fisher left are not the same defensively, of course Donald is a playmaker and should keep Prescott busy. Many seem to think it's the Cowboys game to lose but I think back to the Colts game a few weeks ago...........as for the Patriots, they could make the Super Bowl but instinct more than anything tells me that it's not happening this year. Snow predicted for the Patriots game. Colts and Kansas should also be very interesting. I think the Saints will win and expect the other game to be very close.

I feel like Rams Cowboys is the least interesting. Rams have way too much firepower. Cowboys beat one good team all season - Saints, and it was at home.

On top of that, if Mcvay is half the coach he is supposed to be - COTY, every team trying to emulate him, there is no excuse for losing this game.

This tends to be the best weekend in the playoffs. Most years 3 of the 4 games are very good.

INDY@KC – The Chiefs last playoff win was in 2015. However, they haven’t won a playoff game at home in 23 years. Going 1-10 in their last 11 appearances. There has to be a frantic amount of pressure to win this year, and I expect Reid to pull out all the stops. The good news is the Chiefs are adapting better after the loss of Hunt, and their D has improved as the season has gone on. The Colts have beaten some good teams, but not faced a team with the Chiefs offensive firepower.

DAL@LAR – Agree with Hitch for the most part on Dallas, though they did beat a good Seattle team. I don’t think their defense will hold the Rams the way they did Seattle, but if they can run well, they can keep it close. The Rams D has to be considered a disappointment. Their numbers across the board have been not just disappointing, but bad. The most telling is against the run, which is Dallas strength.

LAC@NE – A lot has been said about 2007, how the Chargers were hot that year until Rivers tore his ACL, but played in the AFC Championship anyway, losing to the Pats. It was actually the previous year that has to still burn in the minds of Chargers fans. They went 14-2 before losing a close game to the Pats at home. I think the Charger offense has what it takes to move the ball and score enough here, though it will be cold, and maybe snowy. I also think they have the pass rush to disrupt Brady. I also think Gus Bradley will scheme something to at least slow Gronk as well. But beating the Pats, at home, out-strategize Belicheck, and a well rested Brady won’t be easy, it never is.

PHI@NO – As a team the Eagles have really showed a combination and grit and experience of late. This also isn’t the same team that got blown out 48-7 by the Saints in week 11 and felt the Saints ran up the score on them, and want payback. Something the Saints must be aware of. But I wonder, is this the same Saints team that was demolishing people mid-season, and are now cruising and resting? Or are they fading? It's really hard to just flip a switch in the NFL and play great. But I'll still take the Saints, even if they have to rely on Brees more than they'd like.

Out of all the teams left, I’d like to see the Chargers win out, beating the Saints. The Chargers have only been to one SB, Rivers has never been, Brees started his career in San Diego, and such a game would have plenty of scoring and lots of matchups to watch. My other choice would to see the Chiefs or Colts go, as the Chiefs are very exciting and have suffered a long enough drought too. The Colts are a good story, with Luck’s comeback. Of course seeing Foles lead the Eagles to the big game again would be a fairy tale. The Rams vs. Chargers in an all LA bowl would be a coup for the league too. I guess what I'm saying most, is the same as many people, I just don't want the Patriots, and I really don't want the Cowboys either!

I can't pick the Chargers as I'm always wary of New England (in a year like this, more the refs or the the lucky bounce or special teams than Brady outplaying the opposition - though that will be the narrative).

But I will say that this is the first playoff home game the Pats have had in forever that isn't a cake walk. In the last few years they faced Jacksonville (overperformed but lost). Titans (no chance and the refs screwed them anyway), Steelers (weaker Steelers then and the Pats had a better team), Texans (no chance in hell), KC (small chance) and the Chuck Pagano led Colts (lol).

I didn't watch any of those games in full, cos just like their last two home games against the Jets and the Bills, it was the Pats facing inferior squads they could beat away, and with HFA there was 0 chance.

The last time they faced a good opposition at home was the Ravens in 2015. that game could have gone either way, but to Bill's credit he pulled it off, especially with the trick Edleman td.

I see the Chargers this year similar to those Ravens. They have a better record actually. Worse defense, maybe better offense though but most importantly a dangerous away team, with good balance on both sides of the ball.

I think the Pats were a stronger team back in 2014/15 though. So i can see why people would pick Chargers. I really fear that fumble, and that run home special teams touch down that will give Brady the extra two scores to scrape them through.

For the other games I would side with the Saints over the Eagles. I am wary of the Eagles - i remember when the Cardinals crushed GB in 2015 50-7 or some such, and then 4 weeks later in the playoffs it went to OT. But I think part of the hype around the Eagles is in the Foles mystery. Saints at home have more firepower. This should have been the CHampionship game last year and I think Eagles aren't as good, + away.

As I said Rams over the Cowboys easy. And if they don't win this that should expose Mcvay totally. It seems like 1/3 of the league have already hired new coaches based on Mcvay in the 1 and a half years since he took over. If he goes 0/2 in playoff games, both at home, both against weaker opposition, with the kind of money Rams have invested in the teams, with the kind of skill they have, that would be very bad.
I think he's good enough though.

Indy at KC. I would bet on KC but 55/45. Indy are hotter. I just feel like KC are that team this year that gets the 1 seed and takes advantage of their 1 shot at getting an SB, which their fans have never seen (unless they are very old in the Chiefs case). Things will just fall right for them

And ill take Indy as favourites for next year. Cos that is a damn strong team they are building.

Apart from the Patriots, the teams left in the playoffs right now have histories of choking or underperforming in big games. Some of that will change a bit this year. This may be Rivers's last chance to get to a SB, he may not have the best team he has ever had around him, but it could be enough. The Chiefs are up and coming, but Andy Reid isn't. Their defense will likely not magically turn into the 85 Bears, so their hope, still, is that they can outgun the rest and hope for a couple key stops. The Rams are very solid from top to bottom, but lack experience, like the Chiefs. The Cowboys, imo played a good Seahawk team that simply didn't play well. Seattle stubbornly ran the ball way too much and it handed the Cowboys a victory. I can't really see them getting past the divisional, but it's been a quirky season. The Saints are most people's favorite to win it all, but they've been spotty at times in the 2nd half of the season. The Colts and Eagles maybe the most dangerous teams, Colts especially.

Re:

Another good post.
The Hitch said:
For the other games I would side with the Saints over the Eagles. I am wary of the Eagles - i remember when the Cardinals crushed GB in 2015 50-7 or some such, and then 4 weeks later in the playoffs it went to OT.
One could create a big list of games and seasons like that.

2003 Colts get whipped at home 31-17 by the Broncos in week 16, and it wasn't nearly as close as the score. Two weeks later they easily beat them in the playoffs, 41-10.

In 2010 the 14-2 Patriots just dismantled the Jets in December, 45-3. Come divisional playoff time? They gave probably the most lackluster performance in Belicheck's history against the same Jets (with Mark Sanchez!) losing 28-21.

And of course there's the 2007 season, where the perfect Patriots beat the Giants in the regular season, easily putting up 38 points, only to lose the SB to them, barely able to score 14 points, their lowest output all season.

As to teams looking unstoppable during the season, then folding in the playoffs, how about the 2011 Packers? 15-1, rest a slew of players after crusing, then lay an egg in the divisional round against the Giants. The defense giving up 37 points, the most they had all year.

As I said Rams over the Cowboys easy. And if they don't win this that should expose Mcvay totally.
I don't disagree, at least it would remove some shine, but Wade Philips would be canned. I think signing Fowler was also maybe a mistake, Suh likely as well. This reminds me of the old Eagles "dream team" which was just piling on free agents, not thinking who would play well together.
And ill take Indy as favourites for next year. Cos that is a damn strong team they are building.
Don't disagree there at all. I had concerns Luck's shoulder would have gone the way of Chad Pennington, but he looks like the QB we all thought he could be. This team is solid, has depth as well.

And while I'm at it, I don't think the Bears have that much to worry about. They are in a really good position. I also refuse to believe the Falcons will have another year like they did this season. That team is way too talented. A lot of people like the Browns, but they lack some depth, and still need help at a variety of positions. They could be a real wildcard contender next year though. I also have a little bit of faith that the Bills will improve a fair amount and surprise some people. We'll see there though.

Alpe d'Huez said:
Another good post.
The Hitch said:
For the other games I would side with the Saints over the Eagles. I am wary of the Eagles - i remember when the Cardinals crushed GB in 2015 50-7 or some such, and then 4 weeks later in the playoffs it went to OT.

2003 Colts get whipped at home 31-17 by the Broncos in week 16, and it wasn't nearly as close as the score. Two weeks later they easily beat them in the playoffs, 41-10.

In 2010 the 14-2 Patriots just dismantled the Jets in December, 45-3. Come divisional playoff time? They gave probably the most lackluster performance in Belicheck's history against the same Jets (with Mark Sanchez!) losing 28-21.

And of course there's the 2007 season, where the perfect Patriots beat the Giants in the regular season, easily putting up 38 points, only to lose the SB to them, barely able to score 14 points, their lowest output all season.

As to teams looking unstoppable during the season, then folding in the playoffs, how about the 2011 Packers? 15-1, rest a slew of players after crusing, then lay an egg in the divisional round against the Giants. The defense giving up 37 points, the most they had all year.

As I said Rams over the Cowboys easy. And if they don't win this that should expose Mcvay totally.
I don't disagree, at least it would remove some shine, but Wade Philips would be canned. I think signing Fowler was also maybe a mistake, Suh likely as well. This reminds me of the old Eagles "dream team" which was just piling on free agents, not thinking who would play well together.
Don't disagree there at all. I had concerns Luck's shoulder would have gone the way of Chad Pennington, but he looks like the QB we all thought he could be. This team is solid, has depth as well.

And while I'm at it, I don't think the Bears have that much to worry about. They are in a really good position. I also refuse to believe the Falcons will have another year like they did this season. That team is way too talented. A lot of people like the Browns, but they lack some depth, and still need help at a variety of positions. They could be a real wildcard contender next year though. I also have a little bit of faith that the Bills will improve a fair amount and surprise some people. We'll see there though.

Not as high as you on the Bears. Ill be honest, wasn't high this year and they proved me wrong.

But I doubt them for next year anyway, because 1 defensive teams don't last as long as offensive based teams. I feel like theres more variation in defensive rankings year to year. And this is especially true if the defensive team doesn't have a great qb. Look at the 2 championship round teams from last year - VIkings and especially Jags.

Also feel like their division underperformed. VIkings have way more talent than that. Green Bay had their worst season with Rodgers. Detroit were hot and cold under their first year coach.

I'm high on Falcons. They had lots of injuries. And they didn't end up that far from the playoffs. But may only have 1 or 2 good seasons left with Jones so need to take advantage next year.

The Hitch said:
Alpe d'Huez said:
Another good post.
The Hitch said:

Not as high as you on the Bears. Ill be honest, wasn't high this year and they proved me wrong.

But I doubt them for next year anyway, because 1 defensive teams don't last as long as offensive based teams. I feel like theres more variation in defensive rankings year to year. And this is especially true if the defensive team doesn't have a great qb. Look at the 2 championship round teams from last year - VIkings and especially Jags.

Also feel like their division underperformed. VIkings have way more talent than that. Green Bay had their worst season with Rodgers. Detroit were hot and cold under their first year coach.

I'm high on Falcons. They had lots of injuries. And they didn't end up that far from the playoffs. But may only have 1 or 2 good seasons left with Jones so need to take advantage next year.

I think the window is closing for the Panthers and Falcons. Neither team has looked good since their respective Super Bowl losses and I think the Falcons miss Shanahan's scheming. Plenty of teams have been decimated by injuries but of course without the depth on squads, it's worse for some teams.

Well that was disappointing. It took the Colts almost an entire half to make a first down. Their run defense was awful..........just as well Kareem Hunt didn't play ! Stupid offside penalties and their first good drive of the game ended with a missed kick. Mahomes looked like the veteran not the rookie and the Colts offense looked a lot like the Bears from last week. Needless to say the Chiefs defense was surprisingly good. Really the game already looked over in the second quarter.

movingtarget said:
The Hitch said:
Alpe d'Huez said:
Another good post.
The Hitch said:

I think the window is closing for the Panthers and Falcons. Neither team has looked good since their respective Super Bowl losses and I think the Falcons miss Shanahan's scheming. Plenty of teams have been decimated by injuries but of course without the depth on squads, it's worse for some teams.

Falcons looked very good last year. They went into La and beat the rams, - what the cowboys never looked close to doing yesterday. And then they were 1 drop away from beating the Eagles in phily. They were the closest to stop the Eagles actually, and this as a 6th seed.

The Hitch said:
movingtarget said:
The Hitch said:
Alpe d'Huez said:
Another good post.
The Hitch said:

Falcons looked very good last year. They went into La and beat the rams, - what the cowboys never looked close to doing yesterday. And then they were 1 drop away from beating the Eagles in phily. They were the closest to stop the Eagles actually, and this as a 6th seed.

Yes they looked good but not 2016 good. I just think that like most sports unless the team has a winning team over a long period like the Patriots the window of opportunity for winning the trophy is fairly narrow. That's why some people are saying that the Rams are in that period of opportunity now. Seattle seemed to have passed it even though they made the playoffs but soon they will need a rebuild, not a full one like the 49ers or the Cardinals maybe but they still need some changes. I was never convinced this year that the Cowboys or Seattle were going to make the Super Bowl even though there form has been good. Same with the Bears who still have room for improvement. The next season or two will probably see the emergence of a few new playoff teams. Possibly the Browns, and the 49ers who now find themselves in a very competitive NFC West. Remains to be seen whether the Patriots start to drop off but the signs are there and soon they will at least need a new QB. The Steelers are another team that look like trending down. They will need a new QB soon and look like losing Antonio Brown and Leveon Bell. Their coach will probably be gone soon as well especially if they fail to make the playoffs again. The Jags were probably the biggest drop off this season after making the playoffs last year. Disastrous season for them.

LAR vs DAL- DAL can't expect to win if they don't get EE going (47 yards?! WTH?!) AND don't stop the other team from running free (290 yards?!). If LAR can keep that ground game moving forward and heat up their pass game again, they will be the champs.

KC vs. IND- I picked KC but not because I thought that IND would play the first half like a scabbed together middle school rec league team. I enjoy watching Mahomes, and how about Williams "Kareem who?".

Re:

jmdirt said:
LAR vs DAL- DAL can't expect to win if they don't get EE going (47 yards?! WTH?!) AND don't stop the other team from running free (290 yards?!). If LAR can keep that ground game moving forward and heat up their pass game again, they will be the champs.

KC vs. IND- I picked KC but not because I thought that IND would play the first half like a scabbed together middle school rec league team. I enjoy watching Mahomes, and how about Williams "Kareem who?".

The Rams/KC would be a crazy Super Bowl if that happens.

TRENDING THREADS