• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 457 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
If Cam has successfully recovered from the Lisfranc surgery and is given the green light to play, it sounds like this move is a 1 yr start to mentor to Stidham - much like the situation in Indy with Rivers & Eason.

I can't imagine he would have been signed to just sit the bench behind Hoyer. And a move like this would suggest Stidham isn't ready to start and needs another year to learn. And who better to learn from: Cam Newton or Brian Hoyer? ;)

If Cam has successfully recovered from the Lisfranc surgery and is given the green light to play, it sounds like this move is a 1 yr start to mentor to Stidham - much like the situation in Indy with Rivers & Eason.

I can't imagine he would have been signed to just sit the bench behind Hoyer. And a move like this would suggest Stidham isn't ready to start and needs another year to learn. And who better to learn from: Cam Newton or Brian Hoyer? ;)
True but with BB who knows. I would definitely rate their chances better with Cam then the other two. Who ever is quarterback, I don't think NE will run the same timing and being were you're supposed to be system like with Brady. Which like I said before could enable the younger receivers this year to perform better.

I'm suprised BB didn't try getting Brissett from the Colts. He thought highly of him in NE and he was performing well with the Colts before injury.

I think you'd listen to what Cam said about risk management on the field. You'd want to learn about game management, which is what they'll need from somebody else or Bill will bench you.

Looks like Newton to NE. I wonder if he'll still be there when the season starts. If so Hoyer will probably be cut again because I don't think they'll move on from Stidham.

Quite a few people seem to think Cam is a wash with his long term injuries and concussions. I'm a bit surprised by the move. I think Dalton might have been a better pick and much cheaper.

Quite a few people seem to think Cam is a wash with his long term injuries and concussions. I'm a bit surprised by the move. I think Dalton might have been a better pick and much cheaper.

Dalton would basically be Brady skillset wise while Cam is able to help with his legs. Let's say Patriots receivers are terrible in separation again, Cam can help alleviate that with his running ability.

Reactions: jmdirt
It will be interesting to see how much guaranteed money they are paying him, if any, but the initial report is 7.5m total and some of it incentives. Might be no coincidence that this was announced just before the announcement that the Patriots have been docked a 3rd round pick for cheating again ;)
Clarification: they weren't 'docked' for cheating, they were docked for getting caught. Remember that this is a big $$ Pro sport.

The guaranteed money in the Cam Newton deal is widely reported to be just 550k which means the Pats aren't really tied to him at all and they will have virtually no dead money if they decide to cut or trade him

Another news item (which could also have an effect on the Pats QB competition) is that preseason games are cut from 4 to 2 - that's been on the cards regardless of the covid situation

Reactions: jmdirt and SHAD0W93
The guaranteed money in the Cam Newton deal is widely reported to be just 550k which means the Pats aren't really tied to him at all and they will have virtually no dead money if they decide to cut or trade him

Another news item (which could also have an effect on the Pats QB competition) is that preseason games are cut from 4 to 2 - that's been on the cards regardless of the covid situation
Yes and only a one year contract. Like many others, the injuries probably concern them. He's been out for a long time.

First, the NFL said it would cut the number of preseason games from four to two. Now the players say they don't want any preseason games. They've already missed a lot of time during which they would normally become more prepared. Do they expect to go into the regular season almost cold? At a certain point, you worry about risk of injuries. Do they even want to play at this point? If you don't want to play preseason games, to minimize risk, why would you want to play regular season games? Do they think the virus risk will be less by September? Good luck with that.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nflpa-want...l-coronavirus-covid19-pandemic-222506978.html

What is the revenue stream for pre season..in shame..I will publicly confirm that I paid @$80+ dollars per ticket for four Charger pre season tickets..I don't remember food,beer or parking being cheaper..I have also attended Jets,Giants and Eagles preseason games and nothing was so much less expensive that I recall.
so if the NFL listens to the players wishes..no preseason games..what does the franchise loss many money wise?

It looks like $140m guaranteed...it's an extension of the existing contract so he still has to survive the NFL like everyone else.
I love his style of play and his support cast is fairly impressive, too. That said; this deal still means Mahomes has to play SB MVP ball to earn much of the incentives. There will be some AFC defenses looking to slow him down.

The only 'losers' are fans IMO. My second thought after reading some of the initial reports was "they just made it difficult to build a solid team".
True, and true. But I gave up going to live games long time ago because of outrageous ticket prices, haha.

As to making it difficult to build, KC will now have to learn how to do more with less. It will become more important for KC scouting to find some gems in the lower rounds of the draft who they will not have to pay much under their rookie contracts. No more franchise RBs, WRs, etc. It will become harder to keep high paid defensive linemen on the roster, and KC will have to have a good core of rotational players at those positions. The only player whose spot on the team is safe is really only Mahomes, and then a few other cats scattered around the roster. Guys like Frank Clark could become cap casualties.

One point mentioned in the article that I'd not thought about: a team that might be puckering right now? The Dallas Cowboys, who are likely wishing Dak's contract was a done deal. Now Dak's just going to raise the bar.

The Chiefs still have one season (assuming it gets played) where Mahomes is very cheap, one season where he is quite cheap and one season where he will be good value. But yeah things are then going to get more difficult. The next CBA still has a similar rookie wage scale so chances are there are always going to be a few teams with a very talented, very cheap QB who are going to have a big advantage for a window of a few years

TRENDING THREADS