• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 465 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The Chargers are angry this week because they can't blame Phil Rivers anymore.
Pats-Seahawks..yes helmet to helmet contact should be taken seriously, but can hardly see how you eject a defensive back for the infraction in the 1st quarter. Not a dirty play.
Same game..I am watching in Spanish,not my first language, why throughout this game..a decent match up..why are they constantly showing the Belichick w the mullet? Has ever an outside linebacker coach w a bad haircut got so much camera time for....?w
Dallas should be happy for a reward after not giving up.

The Chargers are angry this week because they can't blame Phil Rivers anymore.
Pats-Seahawks..yes helmet to helmet contact should be taken seriously, but can hardly see how you eject a defensive back for the infraction in the 1st quarter. Not a dirty play.
Same game..I am watching in Spanish,not my first language, why throughout this game..a decent match up..why are they constantly showing the Belichick w the mullet? Has ever an outside linebacker coach w a bad haircut got so much camera time for....?w
Dallas should be happy for a reward after not giving up.
LOL - those Bolts.

As for that SEA ejection, it is what it is. A rule. So they have to eject. Otherwise there's no teeth in the rule. In the end it worked out well for SEA because after the ejection AND injury to Quandre Diggs (and Blair also I think) it forced SEA to play Ugo Amadi and Quinton Dunbar. Both Amadi and especially Dunbar needed the reps anyway, since Dunbar, as you may know, only came to SEA late (September 9th) after his legal infarction (charges dropped & cleared of his alleged armed robery). Dunbar played well and his 3rd quarter INT of a Cam Newton pass helped.

To sum up the SEA-NE game, fun to watch. Not sure about NE's overall performance, but for SEA, SEA did not play great or their best, but they made plays. Agree with jmdirt that Wilson and Cam both looked good.

I thought Gurley was a strange pick up for them. Quality player but plagued by knee issues.

I would say singing him was fine for a flyer, and him not performing is not a big issue at all, their offense has like 10 1st round picks and will be fine.

Quinn simply sucks for being the defensive-minded couch, and has to go for.a while. I think I would have fired him after week 3(?) 2018 where Ryan had 5 TDs 0 TOs but Brees, Thomas and Kamara were destroying them all day. IIRC, freaking Brees had multiple rush TDs in that game.

I guess it is harder to set up a defense when you do not have the talent like he did in his Seahawks days.

I would say singing him was fine for a flyer, and him not performing is not a big issue at all, their offense has like 10 1st round picks and will be fine.

Quinn simply sucks for being the defensive-minded couch, and has to go for.a while. I think I would have fired him after week 3(?) 2018 where Ryan had 5 TDs 0 TOs but Brees, Thomas and Kamara were destroying them all day. IIRC, freaking Brees had multiple rush TDs in that game.

I guess it is harder to set up a defense when you do not have the talent like he did in his Seahawks days.
I thought he was a goner after the SB loss. The DC and other defensive coaches got canned from what I remember. Shanahan wasn't blameless either as 49ers fans got to witness again in last season's SB !

Reactions: jmdirt and SHAD0W93
I remembered Cam the last time he won in Seattle as a total, self-centered d*ck; running around Centurylink pulling down Seahawks banners fans had on the lower level.
Appears he's grown up quite abit. Still sweet that Russ and team outplayed that defense which bodes well for the future. Looking forward to Dallas coming here. They usually don't pack much humility so it will be interesting.

I think NE blew it before the half not using 1 of their 3 timeouts to get the ball back. They had a 2nd and 26 and just let the time go when they'd usually take the opportunity.

Tampa Bay getting better but still some miscues and dumb penalties. Brady had 6-7 drops and 2-3 of which could have been tds (one even smacked the guy in the helmet) but he had some passes either over or under shoot the target. Specifically him underthrowing on the flea flicker play, that would have been a touchdown if he hit the reciever in stride. Looks like he still needs some games to get in sync throwing but doing good for a 43 year old wet noodle qb.

Reactions: jmdirt
I think NE blew it before the half not using 1 of their 3 timeouts to get the ball back. They had a 2nd and 26 and just let the time go when they'd usually take the opportunity.

Tampa Bay getting better but still some miscues and dumb penalties. Brady had 6-7 drops and 2-3 of which could have been tds (one even smacked the guy in the helmet) but he had some passes either over or under shoot the target. Specifically him underthrowing on the flea flicker play, that would have been a touchdown if he hit the reciever in stride. Looks like he still needs some games to get in sync throwing but doing good for a 43 year old wet noodle qb.
I liked the one that got hit on top of his noggin.................ball went through his hands or he lost sight of it. Brady's reaction was priceless..........

I liked the one that got hit on top of his noggin.................ball went through his hands or he lost sight of it. Brady's reaction was priceless..........
It's like you have one job. Rob Ryan brought up a good point that if Bruce Arians wants to criticize he should look at himself too. Some of these blunders are coaching issues. Maybe they'll be ironed out as the season progresses.

Sounds like Bosa has torn his ACL same with Saquon Barkley. Injuries piling up for the 49ers. Jimmy G has a high ankle sprain and will miss next week. Kittle in doubt for next week as well. Mostert sounds like a knee sprain.
Definitely one of the worst days for injuries to big name players I've seen in awhile. To add to that list Drew Lock who suffered a sprained AC joint to his throwing shoulder and could miss between 2 & 6 weeks! Carolina is holding their breath with the ankle injury to Christian Mac where he couldn't play in the 4th Qtr.

Herbert looked good despite the loss in his debut - a QB controversy is already developing as Lynn says he wants to go with Taylor, if healthy (Taylor re-aggravated a rib injury during pregame warmups).

Reactions: movingtarget
Brady's reactions in the first week is why the NFL allows 70db of noise to be piped in. They were slow on the bleep button a couple of times Brady's passes got dropped in week 1.

Yet no one talked about the massive misuse of time by Bill Belichick. Any other coach would get questioned not using a timeout for a chance at the ball back to score on 2nd and 26 with over a minute left. Especially when not receiving after the half. A field goal even by NE would have gave them leverage. Plus he's been getting extremely cute with his aggression the last few years that is coming back to bite him in games.

On kickers missing, I think it was AJ Hawk on his show with Pat who said maybe it's also an increased wind factor in stadiums with no fans to dissipate the wind so kickers aren't used to it on top of less time to practice.

New Orleans has a tough schedule and just got beat by Chucky's kids. Nice debut for LV (?) Raiders. I guess as long as a Davis owns the team the venue just has to add some controversy or style. A Las Vegas stadium could add both, I guess.
It was a good win by the Raiders with NO missing Thomas. Thankfully no one parked on the side of the freeway to watch the game from the stadiums outside tv.

It's good NFL is cracking down.

It was a good win by the Raiders with NO missing Thomas. Thankfully no one parked on the side of the freeway to watch the game from the stadiums outside tv.

Yeah I was wondering about that. I noticed Shanahan arguing with the refs at one point and thought it might have been his non mask wearing they were discussing. Seemed to go on for quite a while.

During that SEA-PATS game, there were moment's both coaches went briefly off-mask, but only Carroll was fined because Carroll stayed off-mask too long (e.g. patrolling the sideline for extended periods without mask). When I saw Carroll doing that I wondered if he was going to be fined. I also wondered if he just forgot to don the mask, like someone with ADD. Bottom line, the league is being somewhat lenient (allowing brief off-masking) while cracking down on blatant abusers, which makes sense.

During that SEA-PATS game, there were moment's both coaches went briefly off-mask, but only Carroll was fined because Carroll stayed off-mask too long (e.g. patrolling the sideline for extended periods without mask). When I saw Carroll doing that I wondered if he was going to be fined. I also wondered if he just forgot to don the mask, like someone with ADD. Bottom line, the league is being somewhat lenient (allowing brief off-masking) while cracking down on blatant abusers, which makes sense.
On the off masking, maybe allowing them to have a quick breathe of air especially to the older crowd but not extended. At work the older nurses are constantly bringing their mask down because it's harder for them to breathe and talk wearing the masks for long periods.

Reactions: jmdirt
They have a guy who is specifically tasked with keeping coaches in the 'box' so that guy should also yell 'mask' after 30 seconds of it being down.

JG hardly ever had his mask over his mouth or nose last night.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
I'm obviously not glad for any of the injuries, but Bret Rypien might get some snaps in DEN now. They did just sign Bortles too though.

I wonder about the injuries:
Not enough prep and you get early season injuries, too much prep and you get late season injuries (or so the argument goes). Is there a middle? Would those injuries not happen if they had more preseason? IMO all of the soft tissue injuries would still happen no matter what the preseason looked like. Lock for example: what prep in the preseason would have made his rotator cuff withstand that impact? IMO, nothing.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
I'm obviously not glad for any of the injuries, but Bret Rypien might get some snaps in DEN now. They did just sign Bortles too though.

I wonder about the injuries:
Not enough prep and you get early season injuries, too much prep and you get late season injuries (or so the argument goes). Is there a middle? Would those injuries not happen if they had more preseason? IMO all of the soft tissue injuries would still happen no matter what the preseason looked like. Lock for example: what prep in the preseason would have made his rotator cuff withstand that impact? IMO, nothing.
Just not enough real time prep and their bodies weren't ready.

Just not enough real time prep and their bodies weren't ready.
49ers players were complaining about the surface at the Jets stadium before their game now they have more injuries. They have to return there this week to play the Giants ! 49ers have been decimated with injuries and are now using their back up QB as well. Their schedule gets much tougher in a few weeks so they will probably settle for ugly wins against weaker teams in the interim ! Hurd, Thomas and Bosa gone for the season. Kittle, Mostert, Samuels, Coleman, Jimmy G, Jones, Ford, Verrett, Sherman all out and Richburg went out before the SB and hasn't returned yet. Aiyuk and Reed are back. Reed looks good for someone that hasn't played for two seasons so does McKinnon. Hopefully Kittle and Samuels will be back soon.

49ers players were complaining about the surface at the Jets stadium before their game now they have more injuries. They have to return there this week to play the Giants ! 49ers have been decimated with injuries and are now using their back up QB as well. Their schedule gets much tougher in a few weeks so they will probably settle for ugly wins against weaker teams in the interim ! Hurd, Thomas and Bosa gone for the season. Kittle, Mostert, Samuels, Coleman, Jimmy G, Jones, Ford, Verrett, Sherman all out and Richburg went out before the SB and hasn't returned yet. Aiyuk and Reed are back. Reed looks good for someone that hasn't played for two seasons so does McKinnon. Hopefully Kittle and Samuels will be back soon.
Hasn't that always been a complaint about Met Life Stadium though? I know a couple NE and MIA players have complained about it.

TRENDING THREADS