• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 495 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
No way they lose Gronk or AB (unless he goes off the deepend). Fournette I think will stay and the Bucs would be stupid to let a kicker that was reliable for him to go. The first 3 came to Tampa Bay for Brady.
All the others can go either way honestly. It will come down to money or potential for a ring. It seems like it'll be the same case as players choosing NE or not. The chance to play for a ring and with Brady but at the cost of a pay cut. Godwin, Barrett, and David have the chance for a payday somewhere else. Suh I can see staying as he wants championships now.

I can see LF moving on, but the other O guys figuring out how to stay. Like the piece indicates, they have to pay Barrett (and should try to keep him). I agree that Suh will probably stay for several reasons (champs, he has money/is making money, he doesn't want to move again..). It would be nice if they could keep David too, but that will depend on his goals.

I think what Tampa is going to focus on is keeping first the OL, then the DL in tact. As has been said many times, your team needs a leader at QB, you need playmakers, but yard to yard, down after down, games are won and lost in the trenches. That was abundantly clear in this Super Bowl.

Coaching too of course. The surprising fact is that Arians, Bowels, Leftwitch (and coach on the field Brady) completely out-coached the vaunted KC coaching staff, who couldn't even toss in a few simple plays like having an extra TE, or even a FB on a few downs to help with pass protection. Looks like all four Tampa coaches will be back next year. With Atlanta rebuilding, NO heading towards salary cap hell, then rebuilding, and Carolina in a good spot, but needing time, Tampa should dominate that division for the next two years, or at least until Brady finally retires.

One thing no one here posted, and I have only barely heard in the media, is this really answers the question, I think, who was more key to New England's Super Bowl wins, Brady, or Belicheck. Now, Bill may win another SB or more with a new team, but can anyone really question now that the guy on the field wearing #12 for the Patriots was the real leader?
It will be interesting to see if Tampa repeats and Brady finally retires...His body has been good to him and other than the torn ACL back in 08, he seems to dodge the serious injury bullets that has plagued so many great ones over the past years.
As someone who is middle aged, and pretty fit and healthy, I honestly believe it's a combination of things. Continually keeping his body fit with a wide cross-section of training (including stretching, reflexology, etc.), prepared focus on rest and recovery, eating very healthy (three things that kept Jack Lalanne damned fit to his early 90's), plus the fact if you watch him play, he knows how to not get hurt. He just doesn't really take hits. When the pocket collapses, he knows how to fold down and just take a sack without getting hurt, understanding one bad play means little in the context of a game. He's also an absolutely driven winner who is a great student, and great planner. Joe Montana was famous for studying football year round. Tom has quietly taken that to the next level.

I think part of what has helped both Gronk, and Aaron Rodgers is that they mostly adopted the TB12 diet. Eat your veggies, friends! Or as Jack Lalanne used to say, "if man makes, it, don't eat it!"
Brady's biggest assets is his training, sleep pattern, eating habits, and throwing motion. He looks better now than he did when he was drafted... Not the most physically gifted but he works hard for everything.
I agree with all you wrote. Toss in the fact he's maybe the most accurate passer in history (props to Marino, Montana, PM, Brees and Aaron Rodgers too), sure helps. What did Mike Martz say were the three top qualities he sought when looking for a QB? 1. Accuracy. 2. Accuracy. 3. Accuracy.
This is such a great story. It's unlikely he'll be their QB for the long term, but with Alex Smith's future unknown (I think he'll try to play next year, but who knows how well, or how he will hold up) and Kyle Allen likely heading to FA, Heinike makes a great support bridge leading into their rebuilding future.

I think what Tampa is going to focus on is keeping first the OL, then the DL in tact. As has been said many times, your team needs a leader at QB, you need playmakers, but yard to yard, down after down, games are won and lost in the trenches. That was abundantly clear in this Super Bowl.

Coaching too of course. The surprising fact is that Arians, Bowels, Leftwitch (and coach on the field Brady) completely out-coached the vaunted KC coaching staff, who couldn't even toss in a few simple plays like having an extra TE, or even a FB on a few downs to help with pass protection. Looks like all four Tampa coaches will be back next year. With Atlanta rebuilding, NO heading towards salary cap hell, then rebuilding, and Carolina in a good spot, but needing time, Tampa should dominate that division for the next two years, or at least until Brady finally retires.

One thing no one here posted, and I have only barely heard in the media, is this really answers the question, I think, who was more key to New England's Super Bowl wins, Brady, or Belicheck. Now, Bill may win another SB or more with a new team, but can anyone really question now that the guy on the field wearing #12 for the Patriots was the real leader?

As someone who is middle aged, and pretty fit and healthy, I honestly believe it's a combination of things. Continually keeping his body fit with a wide cross-section of training (including stretching, reflexology, etc.), prepared focus on rest and recovery, eating very healthy (three things that kept Jack Lalanne damned fit to his early 90's), plus the fact if you watch him play, he knows how to not get hurt. He just doesn't really take hits. When the pocket collapses, he knows how to fold down and just take a sack without getting hurt, understanding one bad play means little in the context of a game. He's also an absolutely driven winner who is a great student, and great planner. Joe Montana was famous for studying football year round. Tom has quietly taken that to the next level.

I think part of what has helped both Gronk, and Aaron Rodgers is that they mostly adopted the TB12 diet. Eat your veggies, friends! Or as Jack Lalanne used to say, "if man makes, it, don't eat it!"

I agree with all you wrote. Toss in the fact he's maybe the most accurate passer in history (props to Marino, Montana, PM, Brees and Aaron Rodgers too), sure helps. What did Mike Martz say were the three top qualities he sought when looking for a QB? 1. Accuracy. 2. Accuracy. 3. Accuracy.

This is such a great story. It's unlikely he'll be their QB for the long term, but with Alex Smith's future unknown (I think he'll try to play next year, but who knows how well, or how he will hold up) and Kyle Allen likely heading to FA, Heinike makes a great support bridge leading into their rebuilding future.
Good post!

RE: Was it TB12 or BB? Yes. This year was not a good year to compare because TB was loaded and NE was decimated (hold outs, injuries, no TB12). In general, a good coach can win with a great team WAY more often than a great coach with a good team.

For what its worth, the TB coaching staff is strong IMO. BA took some heat for not be great, but a great head coach just like any other great leader is one who surrounds themselves with great people. The KC coaching staff is much better than what we saw in the superbowl IMO, but I also saw it a few times throughout the season.

TB O line: something I noticed in the playoffs, is that other teams were a little afraid of Jensen, and that is invaluable IMO. A big, nasty center...I love it!

Wentz to IND. I honestly hope that Wentz can get going, but I'm skeptical.

I hope that JJ goes to PIT because it would be awesome to have the Watt Bros coming off of each edge!

Like you I'm not convinced, the same goes for Goff. The lack of interest in Wentz also reflects upon his leadership qualities and locker room mentality not just his drop off in production. I knew the 49ers were not going to bite and had doubts about Chicago as well but I don't see the 49ers gutting their team to get Watson either as some people are predicting. I still think the Dolphins have a good shot at getting Watson if and when the Texans decide to actually show some interest ! The Rams probably did the right thing snapping up Stafford but I'm sure that if they hadn't they definitely would have gone hard for Watson and as the Stafford deal showed, the Rams are willing to pay above and beyond ! I also wouldn't be surprised if the Cowboys also had a serious look at Watson. I think there is more chance that Watson goes to a playoff team or one on the edge of the playoffs, not a developing team like the Jets.

Reactions: jmdirt

Like you I'm not convinced, the same goes for Goff. The lack of interest in Wentz also reflects upon his leadership qualities and locker room mentality not just his drop off in production. I knew the 49ers were not going to bite and had doubts about Chicago as well but I don't see the 49ers gutting their team to get Watson either as some people are predicting. I still think the Dolphins have a good shot at getting Watson if and when the Texans decide to actually show some interest ! The Rams probably did the right thing snapping up Stafford but I'm sure that if they hadn't they definitely would have gone hard for Watson and as the Stafford deal showed, the Rams are willing to pay above and beyond ! I also wouldn't be surprised if the Cowboys also had a serious look at Watson. I think there is more chance that Watson goes to a playoff team or one on the edge of the playoffs, not a developing team like the Jets.
The Rams need to win in a very fickle fan market. Their owner has a monstrous investment in their field and surrounding development so the negative costs could be much greater there.

I'm at the point where I'm caring alot less if Russell goes to NO. He wants to take his career to the next step, be it NFL management or politics. This will be a problem for locker room harmony, I'd guess.
there's also the pressure to relieve Snyder of his ownership in Washington. Enter the saving quarterback who, with shares of ownership as a backend payday can afford to work for nothing. Would that be legit under the NFL cap rules?

I hope that someone signs Alex Smith. I know its risky, but I think that he will continue to improve, and is certainly better than some of the other 63 QBs in the league (starters and backups). He's expensive, and may not feel like being a back up again this season so it'll be tough.

I have not seen it in print, but the local rumor is that he wants to play out west again. SF again? I don't see him playing behind Russ, or Murray. Not LV, LAR, LAC. DEN? I guess DEN is the most likely if he is trying to get back west?

I hope that someone signs Alex Smith. I know its risky, but I think that he will continue to improve, and is certainly better than some of the other 63 QBs in the league (starters and backups). He's expensive, and may not feel like being a back up again this season so it'll be tough.

I have not seen it in print, but the local rumor is that he wants to play out west again. SF again? I don't see him playing behind Russ, or Murray. Not LV, LAR, LAC. DEN? I guess DEN is the most likely if he is trying to get back west?
Probably not at SF. He left on bad terms but in a mentor role as a 2 or 3 he would be fine. Many people have noted the way he is moving since his comeback and he is taking punishment. Maybe no more than usual but...........I haven't seen him play much since his comeback. At this stage I am more interested in how the young guy progresses or if he can. Smith has nothing left to prove but like Brees, obviously loves the game and leaving will be hard when it happens.

Reactions: jmdirt

TRENDING THREADS