• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 498 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Your Hawks have picked up Witherspoon and Hyder from the Niners in free agency. Spoon is talented corner but erratic. He came good late in the season but many Niners fans had had enough of him. I think Kerry Hyder might be the better signing, he played well when Bosa went out and was good all season. Niners were not going to pay him 17.5 for three seasons but he deserved his pay rise. I see that Carlos Hyde moved on to the Jags. Carlos continues his tour of the USA !
Witherspoon has potential, but uh, I guess we'll see.
I agree with you, I think Hyder is good. I think that last season is as good as he gets, but that's solid.

Reactions: movingtarget

first shots fired re the draft................looks like jimmy G to the Patriots may not be oot of the question after all..........as far as the future is concerned, the Dolphins are in a great position but have to hit on some of those picks
That came out of nowhere, and still weeks to go until the draft. A big trade and yet nobody really knows who the 49ers have set their eyes on. The assumption is QB of course, but it seems likely that Lawrence and Wilson will go #1 and #2. It therefore looks at first glance to be an awful lot to give up for the 3rd best QB in the draft (particularly when opinion seems pretty divided on who that is). They would obviously expect the future 1st rounders to turn out to be late 1st rounders but maybe not if they are starting a rookie QB in year 1. Maybe Jimmy G gets to start the season for the 49ers

That came out of nowhere, and still weeks to go until the draft. A big trade and yet nobody really knows who the 49ers have set their eyes on. The assumption is QB of course, but it seems likely that Lawrence and Wilson will go #1 and #2. It therefore looks at first glance to be an awful lot to give up for the 3rd best QB in the draft (particularly when opinion seems pretty divided on who that is). They would obviously expect the future 1st rounders to turn out to be late 1st rounders but maybe not if they are starting a rookie QB in year 1. Maybe Jimmy G gets to start the season for the 49ers
I don't know. The top 5 'prospects' are really close this year, and you really never know who will adapt to the pro game and who won't (or who will adapt better/faster...). Jones isn't getting quite as much love as the top three, but there is something that makes me think that he could end up being the best QB from this draft when we look back in five years. Herbert was the third QB picked (5 or 6th overall) and IMO he was the best of the three (edit: in their rookie NFL season).

Last edited:
Witherspoon has potential, but uh, I guess we'll see.
I agree with you, I think Hyder is good. I think that last season is as good as he gets, but that's solid.
At least RW has changed his tune without a Press Release from Pete Carroll. Again: Pete Carroll is the coach, John S is the GM. It does look like they've put together an improvement at the OL and DL on paper and resigning a proven blocking fullback is a good move. Still more slots to fill.

Reactions: jmdirt
At least RW has changed his tune without a Press Release from Pete Carroll. Again: Pete Carroll is the coach, John S is the GM. It does look like they've put together an improvement at the OL and DL on paper and resigning a proven blocking fullback is a good move. Still more slots to fill.
They've got to draft at least one big, athletic, tackle to deal with DEs (I started to type quick DEs, but that's most of them now).

Reactions: Oldermanish
I think this is a horrible move. I'm not sure what I hate most about it - the short-term money grab, making each game mean just a little less than it did, the player safety hypocrisy or the fact that the increase to 18, 19, 20... becomes inevitable
This is getting into the area of Player Assn responsibility. Almost no team presently gets through a season without serious injuries. They should be considering limiting allowable downs played and increase rosters, then.

Reactions: jmdirt
This is getting into the area of Player Assn responsibility. Almost no team presently gets through a season without serious injuries. They should be considering limiting allowable downs played and increase rosters, then.
I'm pretty sure that I have typed that here, but if not I have talked about it with my fiends. I'm OK with the 'rule' of cutting rosters down to whatever number they want (game rosters are 47 or 48, and total roster is 55). But after that cut, teams should be able to add, just to pick a number, five more practice squad players (or inactive or whatever they want to call them). Have all 60 be available for games.

Reactions: Oldermanish
Reactions: movingtarget

TRENDING THREADS