• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 501 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Back to back is hard to win but recently we have seen back to back teams that win and then lose.
KC win 54 and lose 55
NE win 51, lose 52, and win 53 (they could have been to 5(!) in a row if Gostkowski didn't miss and that AFCCG went a different way and potentially could have won 3 Super Bowls in a row
SEA win 48 and lose 49
NE win 38 and 39

the biggest difference between darnold and wilson will be not having adam gase as a coach :D they also drafted a guard to put next to becton who can play right away, talented rb and fast wr, i assume that was a safety net for wilsons arm - if everything fails just toss it up 70 yards...they are not gonna be very good tho with patriots,dolphins and bills in division jets are most likely 4th team unless tua fails massively ...another intriguing story in the division will be how long will belichick have patience with noodle arm cam, there could potentially be 2 starting rookie QBs and if tua isnt more agressive, josh allen will easily win the division for bills

now i personally root for mac jones to become the next tom brady, because it would be hilarious on like 10 different levels

The Raiders, my favorite team, get their own post for what I believe is yet another bust of a draft. Jon Gruden came back to the NFL supposedly a scouting wizard. PFF had Alex Leatherwood the 9th best tackle in this draft, and the Raiders took him with the 17th pick. It was mentioned more than once that Leatherwood played with great players around him, in a great program at Alabama, bloating his apparent value, but the Raiders didn't seem to notice that. The Raiders also seem to have a real memory problem. Last year they took Ruggs with their top pick, a "star" from Alabama. Last year he caught a paltry 26 passes for the team. I can't seem to recall a single impressive catch he made or game he had.

Let's not also forget in that same draft the Raiders took Ruggs, they took Bryan Edwards, another WR hyped by Gruden... who caught a total of 11 passes last season in 12 games. Both were outplayed by Lynn Bowden, taken in the 3rd round as a receiving RB the year before, then traded to Miami, where he's played quite well in the slot, backfield, or motion.

Going back to 2019, if you type in Clelin Ferrell, the Raiders top pick (which again puzzled experts when he was taken), Google's next word it auto-fills in for your search after his name is "bust". An Edge rusher taken with the 4th overall pick, in 2019 he had 4.5 sacks, and last year, a measly 2. And it's not like he morphed into a great tackling machine. Last year he could muster only 27 tackles. An "afterthought" 4th round pick from that season, Maxx Crosby has completely outplayed him, so it's not just a bad Raiders defense to blame.

Last year they took Damon Arnette, a pick that baffled experts at the time. He was repeatedly injured, was either terribly coached or just made some really bad plays, and a minimal stat sheet, including getting burned on maybe the worst play of the season. Good read on Arnette's bust rookie year. How significant was it that the Raiders took Arnette? He was the top pick resulting from the trade to get rid of Kahlil Mack.

Leatherwood is yet another in a long line of Raider picks that make me believe Gruden and Maycock arrogantly think they are the smartest guys in the room, but outside of Josh Jacobs, with all the draft capital they've had, who else can anyone name really stands out? Crosby has over-performed, sure. Jonathan Abram, when healthy, has shown value, Trayvon Mullen has done well. And...who else? From the great evaluator of talent, Gruden?

The Raiders look like they headed for another 7-9 season. Starting out with a good wins, but then fading away and losing games they had chances to win where a collective dearth of talent, and coaching are exposed. When he came back Gruden said he'd leave if he couldn't get it done. Well, with his second career looking a lot like results Jeff Fisher would be happy with, if the Raiders don't somehow, some way, pull something off this season, he should be good on his word and leave. And take Maycock with him.

Is it too late to apologize to Oakland native Jack Del Rio?
Didn't watch the Raiders much last season but I saw two crazy games when they beat Kansas and then when they got knocked out of the playoffs in a game they should have won. Sort of summed up their season. Lot of people seem to think Gruden is smart, good TV and a real character but whether it translates to success is up for discussion. So far the Raiders rebuild looks a little iffy.

Back to back is hard to win but recently we have seen back to back teams that win and then lose.
KC win 54 and lose 55
NE win 51, lose 52, and win 53 (they could have been to 5(!) in a row if Gostkowski didn't miss and that AFCCG went a different way and potentially could have won 3 Super Bowls in a row
SEA win 48 and lose 49
NE win 38 and 39
Sure you can read it both ways but Kansas were not close to going back to back as they were hammered in the second game. NE just dominated the era and have an incredible record anyway. Also interesting what happens to the losing SB team. Often they disappear for years. Guess we will never know with the 49ers as they were crippled with injuries early and never recovered. Kansas had a good draft and free agency by the looks of it and should be in the mix again.

Reactions: jmdirt
the biggest difference between darnold and wilson will be not having adam gase as a coach :D they also drafted a guard to put next to becton who can play right away, talented rb and fast wr, i assume that was a safety net for wilsons arm - if everything fails just toss it up 70 yards...they are not gonna be very good tho with patriots,dolphins and bills in division jets are most likely 4th team unless tua fails massively ...another intriguing story in the division will be how long will belichick have patience with noodle arm cam, there could potentially be 2 starting rookie QBs and if tua isnt more agressive, josh allen will easily win the division for bills

now i personally root for mac jones to become the next tom brady, because it would be hilarious on like 10 different levels
Based on what Saleh did at the 49ers he should be good for the Jets. Working with Shanahan won't hurt the Jets offense either. What Saleh did with the Niners B grade defense last season was outstanding.

Sure you can read it both ways but Kansas were not close to going back to back as they were hammered in the second game. NE just dominated the era and have an incredible record anyway. Also interesting what happens to the losing SB team. Often they disappear for years. Guess we will never know with the 49ers as they were crippled with injuries early and never recovered. Kansas had a good draft and free agency by the looks of it and should be in the mix again.
I meant getting back to the Super Bowl back to back, not close to winning it.

Didn't watch the Raiders much last season but I saw two crazy games when they beat Kansas and then when they got knocked out of the playoffs in a game they should have won. Sort of summed up their season. Lot of people seem to think Gruden is smart, good TV and a real character but whether it translates to success is up for discussion. So far the Raiders rebuild looks a little iffy.
Being in Vegas I managed to avoid every Raider game besides vs TB and MIA.

I think that JG got left behind. He had a tiny bottle of magic sauce for a few years, but that sauce was gone by '06. I didn't like his TV character.

He and GB can argue all they want, but AR's timing was about 'ME, ME, ME', look at ME. LAME to make himself part of draft day. He can also argue all he wants about he front office not doing what they should/could, but does he take responsibility for his part? I'm with shadow, I'd love to see AR go to the Jets.
I meant to do this at the end of last week: maybe this wasn't AR's fault? Or maybe he and Adam were in it together? Or maybe Adam is just as crappy as we always thought. I still like AR to the Jets.

He will sell tickets. The 'experts' are less and less worth listening to. Do they know that he doesn't have the skills? Were they at his workout? Let's see how he plays.
Tickets, jerseys, and take some of the news and stories off Lawrence like how BB brought Tebow in to take news off Hernandez. Then maybe be a leader but I think Shannon is right on who will listen. Not to mention can lead the church sessions.

TRENDING THREADS