• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 502 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I mean his football workout when they ran him through some routs and tossed him some balls.

Clark just seems to have a beef with UM.
It's not just Clark, every ex pro I've seen discuss it says that he has no chance of playing at TE and this is really Urban trying to bring "his guy" into the dressing room and as a coach. They say the issue with this is that to be a leader in the dressing room as a player you need to be a leader on the field too and that's not going to happen, so all he will be is a distraction.

The other issue is that this tells players UM hires his mates, not the best payer for the job, and that's not a good image to set. Lots of people think he's already made a mis-step doing this by hiring Doyle and this is just another mistake.

I'll certainly be following what happens here, if it all works out it'll be interesting to see what people say (but that seems unlikely).

It's not just Clark, every ex pro I've seen discuss it says that he has no chance of playing at TE and this is really Urban trying to bring "his guy" into the dressing room and as a coach. They say the issue with this is that to be a leader in the dressing room as a player you need to be a leader on the field too and that's not going to happen, so all he will be is a distraction.

The other issue is that this tells players UM hires his mates, not the best payer for the job, and that's not a good image to set. Lots of people think he's already made a mis-step doing this by hiring Doyle and this is just another mistake.

I'll certainly be following what happens here, if it all works out it'll be interesting to see what people say (but that seems unlikely).
I obviously have no idea, but neither do the other talking heads. What if he comes in and catches a few important balls each game, then what will they say? Probably nothing. If he doesn't contribute then talk about 'he only got a job because he was the coaches friend'.

I obviously have no idea, but neither do the other talking heads. What if he comes in and catches a few important balls each game, then what will they say? Probably nothing. If he doesn't contribute then talk about 'he only got a job because he was the coaches friend'.
I don’t think they’ll be able to say nothing, because it’ll be a talking point they can’t ignore and they’ll be brought up on previous comments.

And if he doesn’t contribute I think they’ll be justified in saying he only got the job because he was the coaches friend. The guy has been out of the game for the best part of a decade, it’s absolutely right that people he needs to perform to justify that when there are no doubt many others who haven’t been out that long who could have been taken on.

taking a risk means you should get the praise if it works out, but you also have to take the criticism if it doesn’t.

I don’t think they’ll be able to say nothing, because it’ll be a talking point they can’t ignore and they’ll be brought up on previous comments.

And if he doesn’t contribute I think they’ll be justified in saying he only got the job because he was the coaches friend. The guy has been out of the game for the best part of a decade, it’s absolutely right that people he needs to perform to justify that when there are no doubt many others who haven’t been out that long who could have been taken on.

taking a risk means you should get the praise if it works out, but you also have to take the criticism if it doesn’t.
I agree, but I bet the talking heads won't say 'we were wrong'.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
TB to do to NE what they should have did to DET.
That game and some of the Raiders games at home seem to be big ticket selling games at the moment. It seems Las Vegas plus football is the way to go plus the TB/Bill reunion game for obvious reasons. Niners may not have the worst schedule but they most the most travel time in the NFL plus quite a few early games. Some of the young QB match ups should be good. Don't see many of them sitting for too long. Lance may take a bit longer, who knows.

Reactions: jmdirt
That game and some of the Raiders games at home seem to be big ticket selling games at the moment. It seems Las Vegas plus football is the way to go plus the TB/Bill reunion game for obvious reasons. Niners may not have the worst schedule but they most the most travel time in the NFL plus quite a few early games. Some of the young QB match ups should be good. Don't see many of them sitting for too long. Lance may take a bit longer, who knows.
There was some people saying that the least expensive was $2000. I'll never get someone going to a game, sure it has its perks but I feel being at home is so much better. What will kill it is if Brady gets injured. Many "experts" are picking the Patriots to win and be 3-1 or 4-0 after the game with the Bucs being 1-3 or 2-2 (Skip says 4-0) but I just don't see it. Patriots have a lot of new players with the last time this happened was in 2017 on both sides. That lead to the defense playing terrible and super basic plays for quite awhile and the offense being non productive without Amendola and Gronk. Sure the offense scheme won't be as complex from Brady and Newton being different players. Then pointing to the Bucs slow start this year but they also had no preseason or time to play together.
Unless injuries happen, there's no way Patriots don't get 30 plus hung on them.

There was some people saying that the least expensive was $2000. I'll never get someone going to a game, sure it has its perks but I feel being at home is so much better. What will kill it is if Brady gets injured. Many "experts" are picking the Patriots to win and be 3-1 or 4-0 after the game with the Bucs being 1-3 or 2-2 (Skip says 4-0) but I just don't see it. Patriots have a lot of new players with the last time this happened was in 2017 on both sides. That lead to the defense playing terrible and super basic plays for quite awhile and the offense being non productive without Amendola and Gronk. Sure the offense scheme won't be as complex from Brady and Newton being different players. Then pointing to the Bucs slow start this year but they also had no preseason or time to play together.
I'd never spend $2K on a game, but there is nothing like the "feel" of live events.

Yes I don't see a Patriots win but the players that sat out last season will be back, they picked some new offense and I think Mac will do better than Cam at least with his passing game when he's up to speed. I think the Patriots will be a good fit for him. I heard Brady say that he wants an undefeated season before he retires. Still hungry..............the Patriots division is going to be interesting with the Dolphins on the improve and the Bills looking much better last season.

Reactions: jmdirt
I'd never spend $2K on a game, but there is nothing like the "feel" of live events.
I mean that is true but in my opinion so much harder to follow the game.

Yes I don't see a Patriots win but the players that sat out last season will be back, they picked some new offense and I think Mac will do better than Cam at least with his passing game when he's up to speed. I think the Patriots will be a good fit for him. I heard Brady say that he wants an undefeated season before he retires. Still hungry..............the Patriots division is going to be interesting with the Dolphins on the improve and the Bills looking much better last season.
Some will but they were only missing 3 maybe 4 starters from opt outs with the biggest being Hightower and Chung retired.
linebacker Dont'a Hightower, safety Patrick Chung, tackle Marcus Cannon, wide receiver Marqise Lee, fullback Danny Vitale, running back Brandon Bolden, tight end Matt LaCosse and offensive lineman Najee Toran.
I don't think undefeated is possible but imagine the sting if they get 19-1. But Brady was born starving, always looking for more.

I mean that is true but in my opinion so much harder to follow the game.

I also wouldn't spend 2K on a game, but I love going to live sports events. NFL I've only been to two games (late 80's/early 90's) one was Denver in Cleveland the other was Chicago in Pittsburgh. Enjoyed both games, but the one thing you don't get from watching on TV is how truly impressive some players on in person. John Elway's arm strength is one of those things you just can't fully appreciate on TV. Been to tons of MLB and NHL games and there are some players you just can't appreciate fully in on TV. Grew up watching Mario Lemieux play both on TV and in person and he was so impressive in person. Benn to tons of auto races in person as well. One note is baseball is actually a more fun game to watch in person than it is on TV.
As for football I did stats for our college football broadcasts for 2 years (before doing side line reporting, while in college), and my stats were very, very close to the official stats. They were close enough our play-by-play guy was comfortable using mine on air. Now, I will say, working the game is very different from sitting in the stands and enjoying it.
Once we get moved to Durham, my husband gets his health under control, and we can safely go to games again, I'm looking forward to going to NHL games, college football and basketball game and some Durham Bulls games. The Durham Bulls are about the only minor league team I'm willing to go to games of. I grew up going to MLB games and minor league games just aren't the same.

I also wouldn't spend 2K on a game, but I love going to live sports events. NFL I've only been to two games (late 80's/early 90's) one was Denver in Cleveland the other was Chicago in Pittsburgh. Enjoyed both games, but the one thing you don't get from watching on TV is how truly impressive some players on in person. John Elway's arm strength is one of those things you just can't fully appreciate on TV. Been to tons of MLB and NHL games and there are some players you just can't appreciate fully in on TV. Grew up watching Mario Lemieux play both on TV and in person and he was so impressive in person. Benn to tons of auto races in person as well. One note is baseball is actually a more fun game to watch in person than it is on TV.
As for football I did stats for our college football broadcasts for 2 years (before doing side line reporting, while in college), and my stats were very, very close to the official stats. They were close enough our play-by-play guy was comfortable using mine on air. Now, I will say, working the game is very different from sitting in the stands and enjoying it.
Once we get moved to Durham, my husband gets his health under control, and we can safely go to games again, I'm looking forward to going to NHL games, college football and basketball game and some Durham Bulls games. The Durham Bulls are about the only minor league team I'm willing to go to games of. I grew up going to MLB games and minor league games just aren't the same.
Baseball and basketball are good, NHL I feel is borderline since could be hard to follow, and NFL it's like almost impossible I feel like.

Baseball and basketball are good, NHL I feel is borderline since could be hard to follow, and NFL it's like almost impossible I feel like.
The Idaho Steelheads (CHL) are meh on TV, but electric live (OK, that's in part due to the inebriated fans but...). IMO, part of what has made live games less "exciting" is the massive new stadiums. For example, when I was younger watching the Seahawks/Mariners in the Kingdome was FN exciting. The Mariners in T-Mob Park...how do I type a fart noise. I haven't seen SEA at Lumen so I can't compare that one. The Seattle Center was a pretty fun joint in the '80s.

Something that no pundit has talked about especially with the return to NE is Brady saying last year after Super Bowl 54 that he won’t be back as a spectator and the negative views was he should join the Chiefs as a backup then and thought he would stay in NE. Now he’s returning accomplishing what he said he would do. :oops:Guys crazy and telling Kraft he was the best decision they ever made as a rookie.