• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 507 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I've watched very little of the tryouts so far, but of course I watch some of the Seahawks games just to see who might be able to contribute this year. There are a few guys getting quite a bit of time on the D side that should be able to help this year.

Teddy B looked good, certainly the best of any of the 'back ups' who've been playing early snaps. He's definitely an upgrade from Lock.

EDIT: It sounds like Winston looked good last night (I didn't watch...just heard several talking heads).

Last edited:
I've watched very little of the tryouts so far, but of course I watch some of the Seahawks games just to see who might be able to contribute this year. There are a few guys getting quite a bit of time on the D side that should be able to help this year.

Teddy B looked good, certainly the best of any of the 'back ups' who've been playing early snaps. He's definitely an upgrade from Lock.

EDIT: It sounds like Winston looked good last night (I didn't watch...just heard several talking heads).

Heard the same about Winston looking good in the game. I just don't watch pre season games, just check the box score and see what the talking heads say with highlights.

talking heads guide to preseason:

a player you dislike plays well: only against 3rd and 4th stringers who will be cut, adjust athletic ability to confirm the narrative, plays with starters, simple concepts, good coaching staff

a player you like plays well: showing signs of talent, outplaying competition, better than expected, overcoming difficulties, never mention who he plays against

Reactions: Alpe d'Huez
Well...Jacksonville is off to a great start: Travis Etienne out for the season with a Lisfranc injury. Round 1 pick 25 out of Clemson (2nd RB taken in the 1st rd ). Meyer must getting even more grey with things like this. Lol.

Last edited:
talking heads guide to preseason:

a player you dislike plays well: only against 3rd and 4th stringers who will be cut, adjust athletic ability to confirm the narrative, plays with starters, simple concepts, good coaching staff

a player you like plays well: showing signs of talent, outplaying competition, better than expected, overcoming difficulties, never mention who he plays against
Therein lies why the talking heads speaking highly of Jami is significant: they don't like him so it must have pained them to talk nicely about him.

Reactions: Koronin and jmdirt
I think it would have been more of a surprise if NE kept Newton on the roster. When NE took Jones with the 15th OA the writing was pretty much on the wall for Newton. Jones is the franchise QB and all eyes will be on him this year to see if NE can rise to the top again and be competitive in the conference.

So far out of this year's top 5 rookie QBs taken in the 1st rd - 3 are set to start (Lawrence, Wilson, Jones), Lance may start or at least rotate with JG (Shanahan hasn't named the starter yet) and Dalton gets the nod over Fields (I give that one a few weeks before a QB change. Lol).

Why? Newton, a #1 OA who has started since day 1, isn't going to want to sit behind their franchise QB. He probably feels that he could start for a few other teams - which he probably could (New Orleans, Indy maybe?) Besides, NE has Hoyer & Stidham as backups (didn't NE at one time think that Stidham would be the heir apparent to TB?). Also, probably missing 5 key practice days last week because of the Covid protocol for the unvaccinated didn't go over very good.

I figured that when NE took Jones that high in the draft (Jones was the only QB prospect whose pro day Belichick attended in person) it was all over for CN - not a vote of confidence for his future with the team.

Last edited:
I definitely thought Jones was starting around week 5. But then you keep Stidam vs Cam? According to Sharpe Bill was very close to starting Brady over Bledsoe in 2001 and this time took the chance. They’ll definitely be interesting but I think will finish third in the division still.

I think there will be some surprises this year, especially with 17 games.

Last edited:
Reactions: jmdirt
I definitely thought Jones was starting around week 5. But then you keep Stidam vs Cam? According to Sharpe Bill was very close to starting Brady over Bledsoe in 2001 and this time took the chance. They’ll definitely be interesting but I think will finish third in the division still.

I think there will be some surprises this year, especially with 17 games.
I wonder if Cam said that he wouldn't play QB2.
Hoyer also cut from NE.
Rosen is still on ATL roster!
No Kaep talk yet... :rolleyes:

Cam likely wasn't keen on sitting for a rookie.
Add the concerns about having an unvaccinated QB2 on your roster (your QB1 gets injured and your QB2 can't play because COVID protocol) and the decision was pretty much a given.

More surprised about BB letting Hoyer go.

Jones is the ONLY qb on the roster. I wouldn’t be surprised if they start going with a completely different playback and scheme design then with Brady and last year. They have no older offensive players that are used to the difficult old scheme, so changing it is far easier.

Reactions: jmdirt

TRENDING THREADS