• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 508 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Reactions: jmdirt
Cam likely wasn't keen on sitting for a rookie.
Add the concerns about having an unvaccinated QB2 on your roster (your QB1 gets injured and your QB2 can't play because COVID protocol) and the decision was pretty much a given.

More surprised about BB letting Hoyer go.
Eventually he might get Jimmy G back from the 49ers if Lance gets the starting job later.

Honestly didn’t see this coming or that early of a commitment to Mac Jones. But if Jones if the better thrower, it makes sense Bill went in for weapons.
I'm sure that Bill being good friends with Saban not only convinced him of drafting Jones but also what he was capable of. I was never convinced that Cam would start and the Covid situation made it easier for him.

Last edited:
Reactions: jmdirt
You mean Saban at Bama? Interestingly, Steve Sarkisian was the OC & QB coach at Bama the last two seasons and was instrumental in Jones' development, who wasn't that highly recruited (by Bama's standards anyway). Sarkisian has moved on taking the HC job at Texas & Bill O'Brien comes in to run Saban's offense.

There are a lot of question marks for me on the QB depth cart, but just a few:
How will Taylor do for HOU?
Does Fitz have anymore magic left for WFT?
Is the ownership/management of NYJ completely dysfunctional?
JAX ^^?
--(maybe they're using the Troy Aikman plan?)
How long will Mariota and Minshew sit before wanting one of the jobs that will be open by week three?

Reactions: Koronin
Can Taylor hold onto the starting job before getting injured again? Lol. I've never seen a guy have such bad luck when he's named the starter. It probably doesn't help that he's had the team's rookie franchise QB breathing down his neck the last several years. Remember at Buffalo he's named the starter only to be benched 4 or so games into the season for Allen. At Cleveland he was named the starter for the entire season with Hugh Jackson wanting to sit Mayfield for the year. Taylor gets hurt early in the season and Mayfield starts never looking back. Last year he's named the starter at LAC - with the intent of sitting Huebert. Taylor makes it through the season opener but again is injured the following week during pre-game warmups! Insert Huebert and it's back to a backup role for Taylor. I wish the guy well...I would like to see him make it through an entire season as a starter without getting hurt.

I was listening to a sports talk show last week where a report was given on JAX. It sounds like a complete disaster over there with a very poor OL that the reporter said couldn't block a good college team. Lol. It was also said that Meyer is trying to coach like he did in the college ranks and it's not go over real good with some of the players. Remember back in 2005, Saban had a 2 yr stint at Miami where the players ran him out of there because of his coaching style. That's where he earned the infamous nickname the "Nicktator." Lol. The college coaches making the quick jump to the NFL need to realize they're dealing with a lot of high-priced spoiled players. :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: Alpe d'Huez
Can Taylor hold onto the starting job before getting injured again? Lol. I've never seen a guy have such bad luck when he's named the starter. It probably doesn't help that he's had the team's rookie franchise QB breathing down his neck the last several years. Remember at Buffalo he's named the starter only to be benched 4 or so games into the season for Allen. At Cleveland he was named the starter for the entire season with Hugh Jackson wanting to sit Mayfield for the year. Taylor gets hurt early in the season and Mayfield starts never looking back. Last year he's named the starter at LAC - with the intent of sitting Huebert. Taylor makes it through the season opener but again is injured the following week during pre-game warmups! Insert Huebert and it's back to a backup role for Taylor. I wish the guy well...I would like to see him make it through an entire season as a starter without getting hurt.

I was listening to a sports talk show last week where a report was given on JAX. It sounds like a complete disaster over there with a very poor OL that the reporter said couldn't block a good college team. Lol. It was also said that Meyer is trying to coach like he did in the college ranks and it's not go over real good with some of the players. Remember back in 2005, Saban had a 2 yr stint at Miami where the players ran him out of there because of his coaching style. That's where he earned the infamous nickname the "Nicktator." Lol. The college coaches making the quick jump to the NFL need to realize they're dealing with a lot of high-priced spoiled players. :cool:

Taylor seems snakebit.......the final insult was when his own team doctor accidentally punctured his lung.............

Reactions: jmdirt and Koronin
Does Fitz have anymore magic left for WFT?
XTKBLBKLOBBOHI4MP6ALDAYG5U.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Nomad and jmdirt

They're not spoiled players, they're guys who are finally earning their worth after having to go through college and see people like Meyer earn millions off their backs. They finally have a say in how things work, what they're worth etc. and they're going to make the most of it.

They're not spoiled players, they're guys who are finally earning their worth...
I mostly agree with you. In some situations some star players make too big of demands based on their ego, but a big part of the reason many college coaches don't make it in the NFL is that they are used to micromanaging teenagers, teaching them discipline. If you make it to the NFL as a player, you don't need that. You quickly realize it's step up or you're out just as a player. Even players with big egos to go with incredible talent only last so long. Albert Haynesworth comes to mind.

Travis Etienne out for the season with a Lisfranc injury.
Not to sound like a know-it-all, but at the time I said that was a bad pick, a sentimental pick, as the Jags badly needed OL help more than anything.

In NE. I'm not too surprised by Jones being named the starter. I figured once Bill made his mind up, Cam was done. He wasn't going to sit behind him. The only question really was when Jones would be named the starter. But if BB and McDaniels have created a plan they think he can work in, he's the guy.

I would be really, really surprised if the Pats brought Jimmy G back. Unless Jones completely falters. Like, near total collapse (or season ending injury).

I do believe Lance will be the starter in SF, sooner rather than later. If he plays well at all, and it looks like he will, if SF can stay healthy, that team is stacked.

Peterman looked okay in the preseason game last week.
He's always looked good in the pre-season!

Some predictions hopefully soon. My predictions will be worse than last year (not good) as I've been watching even less. Much less than 2+ years ago.

They're not spoiled players, they're guys who are finally earning their worth after having to go through college and see people like Meyer earn millions off their backs. They finally have a say in how things work, what they're worth etc. and they're going to make the most of it.
I don't agree with this. As much a I enjoy watching the NFL, none of them (coaches or players) are worth the millions that they make IMO.

I don't agree with this. As much a I enjoy watching the NFL, none of them (coaches or players) are worth the millions that they make IMO.
They make what the market will bear. Whether anyone is worth that kind of money, compared to what others make, is a very different question and I probably agree with you (I'm probably even more extreme in my views on that) but that's a different conversation.

Oh gosh this taunting call already making its head. How are you going to get a taunting call after the opposite player comes to trash talk and punch you in the helmet and you do nothing.

Second, doesn't look like they are overruling challenge considering the receivers second foot was in the air when he caught the ball and went out of bounds.

Crazy, crazy game so far though. Cowboys having the luck in their favor as they could be down 2-3 scores.
DAL 16 vs TB 21
Ranks
Bucs passing offense: A. despite having the two int they weren't Brady's fault as Fournette had the ball bounce off his hands and the other was off a Hail Mary though Cowboys almost returned it for a pick 6. Brady has missed one throw so far.
(Deserves their own category) Bucs running offense: F. The running back caused back to back turnovers and allowed Dallas to score 9 points with a missed PAT. Only 31 yards rushing.
Bucs defense: B. Defense has made some plays and missed some though have had 2 missed interceptions that would have stopped the Cowboys from scoring.
Cowboys Offense: B. They have been playing well against the Bucs defense but majority of their scores have come from short field. Their long touchdown answering drive was very nice.
Cowboys Offense: A. They have kept the Cowboys in this game and have gotten three (on off a Hail Mary though almost a pick 6) turnovers.
Cowboys Special Teams: F. 4 missed points so far from the kicker though his field goal miss set up the fumble recovery.
Refs: F. got some correct calls and missed more calls, especially the "pass interference and face mask call" on the same play that didn't happen.

Dallas playing a lot better after the half. This feels like the vs Chi with all the penalties.
DA 26 vs 28 TB
The Cowboys offense is playing far better, has more plays run and higher time of possession but still losing. Though TB had 2 one play drives from the turnovers. Bucs defense playing more and more like they did before the postseason especially with their injuries.
Bucs offense with two big drops on a drive they need to score with Cowboys looking like they can keep up with them. Bucs moving the ball in the red zone and fumble again. Cowboys getting the turnovers. Ball back with 4’52” left to play. This is officially like TB vs Chi.

Last edited:
Crazy game. Dallas played their heart out, had tips on balls that could have led to touchdowns for Bucs, and had 3 turnovers worth a 17 point swing. Best opening game in awhile. Dallas’s luck just ran out at the end.

View: https://twitter.com/NFLCharean/status/1436184129394155520?s=20
The Cowboys will be disappointed with that result. More weird calls from the refs. Godwin making some critical errors in the second half. Lamb played well for the Cowboys. No sign of Brady approaching Max Kellerman's cliff yet.............the throw to AB for the TD and the one to the WR as he was falling to the ground were very nice...........entertaining game.

TRENDING THREADS