• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 575 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The comments on that Tom Brady clip are hilarious!

I think the issues in Tampa are going to be power, and how badly transportation has been affected. If there's no power to enough of the city and outlying area, or a lot of debris all over, I imagine they'll call the change by Thursday.

Almost ANY venue other than maybe a college in Florida (or Foxboro?) would be a benefit for KC.

While I like Miami against Cincy, I do not expect them to blow them out, at all. This is the first game where we'll see the Bengals new white helmets. I think the whole kit (kit? That's a cycling term!) will be white.

Love how Mark Sessler at NFL.com described Jimmy G's return to SF:

"It's not unlike your ex moving back in: The early rush is soon replaced by a dark remembrance of what drove you nuts in the first place."

:grinning:
Think the stress is starting to get to Shanahan. At the last presser he looked and sounded about as grim as an Amish elder.........now the talking heads are looking for evidence of a falling out between Kyle and Jimmy re Jimmy seemingly questioning Kyle's play calls without spelling it out clearly. Jimmy does seem to be less buttoned down this season at the pressers maybe because he expects to be out again at the end of the season but with Jimmy coming into camp very late without a playbook, or much practice with the squad, the 49ers fans have turned on Shanahan and his coaching is much more under the microscope than usual by the fans and the media. Jimmy looks rusty but he looked much better against Seattle. Go figure but the Denver defense was also much better than Seattle's. Shanahan is also copping flak for Lance's injury which some people think was avoidable but then he did want a QB that can run . So did many of the fans !

Think Miami will be too good for the Bengals not that the Bengals won't improve later on. Can't beat mother nature re the hurricane. Jimmy G could have used a hurricane in Denver, at least he would have had some defense at the presser.

• Haha
Reactions: Alpe d'Huez
SNF to be played in Tampa. Lots of damage on the coastline which got walloped, but the city and interior was spared the worst of it.

If Cincinnati beats Miami, this will leave Philadelphia as the only unbeaten team, and they play at Jacksonville. Amazing how nearly every team is 1-2 or 2-1, and could easily have that flipped. So much parity in the league.

Winston missing practice maybe all week for NO. I didn't realize he had a transverse fracture in his back. Those are those little wings on vertebra. Apparently it's stressful when you throw, takes extra effort and good body placement to make solid, clean throws because you can't easily twist, and it can hurt like holy hell when you're tackled. Lots of respect to him for gritting it out, but Derek Carr had this injury about 4 years ago, and had maybe his worst season. At what point does New Orleans decide to go with Andy Dalton? Or draft more plays with Taysom Hill, even if Hill is handing the ball off, or RPOs, with the option to tuck it and gain 4 yards? Pete Carmichal has been their OC for many years, and could likely get a HC job (he has said he's not interested, at all). He was asked yesterday about Winston and chose to gave almost no info other than saying they are confident in whomever is under center, Winston, Dalton, or Hill even. Curious what he and HC Allen are actually thinking now.

Good post by Schwartz. I wonder what DeMaurice Smith and JC Tretter (heads of NFLPA) have to say, if anything.

I'm curious how long Tua is going to sit out. Will he be back in 9 days to play the Jets? Sounds insane, but that was their thinking after last week. Logic would indicate he'd be best to skip several weeks. While no one says it matters, schedule does, and the 'Fins is mixed. @NYJ, MIN, PIT, @DET, @CHI, CLE, HOU.

While I did say Cincy's offense looked better than their other 3 games they still lacked consistancy. Had Tua not got hurt would they have won? Who knows. But the red zone pick thrown by Teddy, and the Bengals then scoring a TD was essentially a 14 point swing, and the game. Cincy still looks weaker than last year, for sure, despite shoring up key positions (mostly the OL), and headed for maybe a 10-7 season unless they really fine tune things. I can't see them finishing ahead of Baltimore, and probably not Cleveland either, though the Browns have a long history of going south when things look good, mostly by their own hand.

I also think once Pickett is ready the Steelers will turn things around. The problem is, he may not be ready, AND, the Steelers are headed into a very hard stretch of games after Sunday (Jets). They go @BUF, TB, @MIA, @PHI, NO, @CIN. Things lighten up some after that, but they still have two games later against Baltimore. There is no way Tomlin is going to throw Pickett in against Buffalo. But how much longer are they going to just lose with Trubiski? How many losses do they think will shatter Pickett's confidence of they put him in and they get pounded by Buffalo, Tampa, Miami, Philly...?

Good post by Schwartz. I wonder what DeMaurice Smith and JC Tretter (heads of NFLPA) have to say, if anything.

I'm curious how long Tua is going to sit out. Will he be back in 9 days to play the Jets? Sounds insane, but that was their thinking after last week. Logic would indicate he'd be best to skip several weeks. While no one says it matters, schedule does, and the 'Fins is mixed. @NYJ, MIN, PIT, @DET, @CHI, CLE, HOU.

While I did say Cincy's offense looked better than their other 3 games they still lacked consistancy. Had Tua not got hurt would they have won? Who knows. But the red zone pick thrown by Teddy, and the Bengals then scoring a TD was essentially a 14 point swing, and the game. Cincy still looks weaker than last year, for sure, despite shoring up key positions (mostly the OL), and headed for maybe a 10-7 season unless they really fine tune things. I can't see them finishing ahead of Baltimore, and probably not Cleveland either, though the Browns have a long history of going south when things look good, mostly by their own hand.

I also think once Pickett is ready the Steelers will turn things around. The problem is, he may not be ready, AND, the Steelers are headed into a very hard stretch of games after Sunday (Jets). They go @BUF, TB, @MIA, @PHI, NO, @CIN. Things lighten up some after that, but they still have two games later against Baltimore. There is no way Tomlin is going to throw Pickett in against Buffalo. But how much longer are they going to just lose with Trubiski? How many losses do they think will shatter Pickett's confidence of they put him in and they get pounded by Buffalo, Tampa, Miami, Philly...?
I think that MIA can win with TB once he gets some QB1 practice snaps and some game speed reps.

I agree that Teddy could do fine in Miami. He's always been at least a good QB when healthy, and played well for NO.

I wrote about Winston's injury before and the Saints. I think it's pretty smart to at least give him some time to heal.

Pittsburgh could of course play Mason Rudolph in some of those tough games after benching Trubisky. Toss him to the wolves in the tough stretch before Pickett gets takes over.

TJ Watt was at practice yesterday for the Steelers, actually hitting some tackle dummies, but no contact drills with players. No official word, but some pundits are speculating he'll return to at least some duty before week 10 (week after their bye) which most previously assumed.

Reactions: jmdirt

CIN's unis look more zebra than Bengal tiger, they remind me of that tacky zebra-themed furniture some people choose to adorn their homes with.
Better than Miami’s creamsicle color rush.

Better than Miami’s creamsicle color rush.
I'll take a creamsicle over a zebra couch any day! :p

Think the stress is starting to get to Shanahan. At the last presser he looked and sounded about as grim as an Amish elder.........now the talking heads are looking for evidence of a falling out between Kyle and Jimmy re Jimmy seemingly questioning Kyle's play calls without spelling it out clearly. Jimmy does seem to be less buttoned down this season at the pressers maybe because he expects to be out again at the end of the season but with Jimmy coming into camp very late without a playbook, or much practice with the squad, the 49ers fans have turned on Shanahan and his coaching is much more under the microscope than usual by the fans and the media. Jimmy looks rusty but he looked much better against Seattle. Go figure but the Denver defense was also much better than Seattle's. Shanahan is also copping flak for Lance's injury which some people think was avoidable but then he did want a QB that can run . So did many of the fans !

Think Miami will be too good for the Bengals not that the Bengals won't improve later on. Can't beat mother nature re the hurricane. Jimmy G could have used a hurricane in Denver, at least he would have had some defense at the presser.
Jimmy still hasn't settled in place under pressure enough to convince me he knows what's going on. Calling out Shanahan is amplified by the press and Jimmy should know to STFU about that stuff until his game is solid. Don't like to be a naysayer but he needs some solid pressure wins to convince 49er fans and he can only pass on so much blame.

One neurologist suggested Tua should sit the season out and refuse to play for the 'Fins. That's extreme and the coaches are all too willing to say he's a Competitor and wanted back in the game. Fact is the head coach and team medical staff should be gone. That's some of the worst examples of serious concussion symptoms the NFL has seen and 4 days before the next game.

One neurologist suggested Tua should sit the season out and refuse to play for the 'Fins. That's extreme and the coaches are all too willing to say he's a Competitor and wanted back in the game. Fact is the head coach and team medical staff should be gone. That's some of the worst examples of serious concussion symptoms the NFL has seen and 4 days before the next game.
I guess there’s a technicality in the rules for concussion protocol that was used and which got the independent doctor fired. Rules will probably get overhauled in the off-season. And McDaniel saying there was no signs of trauma so probably didn’t have any concussion Sunday shows how little or maybe ignorant people are in regards to head trauma and how it can linger. Thursday was way too short of a week with the blow to the back of the head l, plus the other hits in game and practice.

I guess there’s a technicality in the rules for concussion protocol that was used and which got the independent doctor fired. Rules will probably get overhauled in the off-season.
Watching him attempt to walk after that hip I'm surprised the "protocol" didn't include scans for consecutive days as well as neurological tactile and balance tests. It probably did but most other sports that'd be a few weeks off at least. By other sports I mean non-contact sports that are concerned about the victim.

Most interesting games to me:

BUF@BAL - With the Bills secondary still beat up, I like Jackson leading the Ravens to put up enough points to win, taking the mighty Bills to 2-2.

JAX@PHI - Both teams are playing very well, but Philly is just more deep, a better D, better OL, and at home. If Jacks can pull this off, it will really signal they are here.

CHI@NYG - Both teams are 2-1, but don't seem that good. Fields has had a really tough go this year, with the Bears relying heavy on the run. Giants don't have a great secondary, can Fields make enough throws to look good? I'll still take the Giants at home.

NE@GB Pats will drop to 1-3 after being soundly beaten by the Packers. Hoyer starting for NE. I've been as critical as anyone about Mac Jones being an average QB, unable to throw the ball with accuracy down the field or hard outs with any consistency. Hoyer has always been decent, but not enough to win this game.

DEN@LV - What a disappointment the AFC West has been, and that includes both these teams (KC still good!). The loser here is going to really sink into a hole. If it's the Raiders, not only will their once promising season be basically over, it will send up very vocal calls that McDaniels isn't the guy (Carr maybe isn't either). If Denver loses, and Wilson at least plays okay, it will send up calls in Denver that Hackett isn't the guy.

KC@TB - While Brady has made some really nice throws this year, he hasn't been completely in sync with his receivers, and made some poor throws himself, but played well enough to go 2-1. KC isn't as explosive when they had Hill, but Mahomes is still great, clutch, and I'll take the Chiefs on the road.

LAR@SF - Williams is out, I'm not sold in Jimmy G, but not sold on the Rams either. Game in SF.

Some QB numbers. Using ESPNs QBR:

1. Tua - 78.5
  1. Lamar - 78.1
  2. Josh Allen - 77.5
  3. Mahomes - 75.8
  4. J. Hurts 74.6
  5. Cooper Rush (!) 73.3

1. Rodgers 49.3
  2. Brady 47.7
  3. Wilson 45.5

...most other sports that'd be a few weeks off at least. By other sports I mean non-contact sports that are concerned about the victim.
Contact too. I don't closely watch hockey, but routinely guys who suffer even a mild concussion are out for far more than a few days. Granted, some guys get dinged, like in the NFL, and never report anything because they want to play. But when someone is obviously hurt from any kind of head injury its usually weeks, often a month. Long list of players who took long periods of time off after concussions: Marc Savard, Scott Stevens, Sidney Crosby. Many more than I can look up.

I can't imagine the Dolphins' coaching and management escaping the "it's a back injury, not a concussion" excuse without facing heavy fines and other forms of punishment once the dust has settled.

Most interesting games to me:

BUF@BAL - With the Bills secondary still beat up, I like Jackson leading the Ravens to put up enough points to win, taking the mighty Bills to 2-2.

JAX@PHI - Both teams are playing very well, but Philly is just more deep, a better D, better OL, and at home. If Jacks can pull this off, it will really signal they are here.

CHI@NYG - Both teams are 2-1, but don't seem that good. Fields has had a really tough go this year, with the Bears relying heavy on the run. Giants don't have a great secondary, can Fields make enough throws to look good? I'll still take the Giants at home.

NE@GB Pats will drop to 1-3 after being soundly beaten by the Packers. Hoyer starting for NE. I've been as critical as anyone about Mac Jones being an average QB, unable to throw the ball with accuracy down the field or hard outs with any consistency. Hoyer has always been decent, but not enough to win this game.

DEN@LV - What a disappointment the AFC West has been, and that includes both these teams (KC still good!). The loser here is going to really sink into a hole. If it's the Raiders, not only will their once promising season be basically over, it will send up very vocal calls that McDaniels isn't the guy (Carr maybe isn't either). If Denver loses, and Wilson at least plays okay, it will send up calls in Denver that Hackett isn't the guy.

KC@TB - While Brady has made some really nice throws this year, he hasn't been completely in sync with his receivers, and made some poor throws himself, but played well enough to go 2-1. KC isn't as explosive when they had Hill, but Mahomes is still great, clutch, and I'll take the Chiefs on the road.

LAR@SF - Williams is out, I'm not sold in Jimmy G, but not sold on the Rams either. Game in SF.

Some QB numbers. Using ESPNs QBR:

1. Tua - 78.5

1. Lamar - 78.1
  2. Josh Allen - 77.5
  3. Mahomes - 75.8
  4. J. Hurts 74.6
  5. Cooper Rush (!) 73.3

1. Rodgers 49.3
  2. Brady 47.7
  3. Wilson 45.5
I said that Rush doesn't look too bad.
That bottom three?!?!

I didn't mean to have those three 1, 2, 3! Let me type it in a fancier way!

7. Lawrence - 70
8. Goff - 64
9. Brisett - 62
10. Geno - 62
11. Herbert - 60
12. Mariota - 56
13. Stafford - 51

14. Rodgers - 49.3
15. Murray - 49
16. Carr - 48
17. Burrow - 48

18. Brady - 47.7
19. Tannehill - 47
20. Cousins - 46

21. Wilson - 45.5
22. Trubiski - 42

I prefer QBR to passer rating, as it takes more key factors/sabermetrics into account. Neither try to factor in dropped passes, or tipped int's though. But by any standard, it shows what a lot of people are seeing. Rodgers looking good, but not great. Brady making some nice throws, but not in sync with his offense. And Wilson simply not playing well. I mean, he's barely above Mitch Trubiski. These numbers for these players, especially Russ, border on bleak by any standard.

If you've been watching the Lions play, you'll notice the opposite, that Jared Goff is playing quite well, as good as any point in his career I think. Geno Smith also is playing solid. He had one bad pass last week, but he's making key throws, and few mistakes.

Another example showing these numbers don't lie is Derek Carr, Ryan Tannehill, and Kirk Cousins are all maddeningly inconsistent.

Jimmy still hasn't settled in place under pressure enough to convince me he knows what's going on. Calling out Shanahan is amplified by the press and Jimmy should know to STFU about that stuff until his game is solid. Don't like to be a naysayer but he needs some solid pressure wins to convince 49er fans and he can only pass on so much blame.
Both of them deny any issues..........as they would. Surprised at some of the comments about Wilson after Denver lost to Seattle. I always thought that Seattle were pretty tight as a group. Richard Sherman couldn't stop laughing. Dunno what that's all about...........

TRENDING THREADS